• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Hi fellow FWers,

I'm looking for recommendation for whole house water filtration system. This should include softener as well as filtration unit. Is this really beneficial? Any major improvements you noticed after you installed

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Why do you want one?

rated:
Water is somewhat hard even though with in drinking standards.

rated:
So just get a softener, skip the filtration.

rated:
If you think you have sediment or unwanted pieces of "stuff" in your water, I suggest you consider what I did when I lived in a house with a well for many years. Go to HD or L.owes and look at their whole house water filters. The last time I looked, there were basically only two types: the ones that house little filters and the ones that house large filters. I've tried both. Forget about the small filter types, because depending upon your water, they can last only a few weeks, or even less. The large filter variety, once again depending on your water, but also upon the micron trapping rating of the filter, will last months, not weeks or even days. I'm fairly h.andy with copper plumbing (at least I used to be), so I installed it myself. A plumber should not charge too much for his labor. I'd guess not more than at most $100, plus the parts, of course.

A water softener would be a separate issue entirely. Avoid the ones marketed by people who come to your house with suits, ties, briefcases, and insist on going through an elaborate show-and-tell spiel. Their prices will be much higher, without any improvement in quality or performance.

rated:
I have really hard city water, and I got one of these Aquasana descaler & filtration systems when they were the special buy of the day from Home Depot.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rhino-Series-5-Stage-600-000-Gal-Whol...

I had some store credit & the thing was already over 50% off, so only being out of pocket ~$600 on a $1600 system made the decision easy for me

I installed it myself using PEX, and it was super easy... to that point, I would get the crimper if you go with PEX because the slip joints are easy & effective but also possible to unseat & cause leaks if they are physically disturbed (i.e. your filter canister gets bumped into kind of hard).

I'm not sure I went with the best brand or would choose the same system in a retail environment with more level competition, but I have been very happy with the results & I would definitely continue to pay a considerable amount every couple of years (filters have to be refilled or replaced) to keep things this way or better.
...So yeah, I would say that in general particulate filtration & salt free descaling systems are worth the investment when your water quality is poor.

Keep in mind that a filtration system will reduce your water pressure at the tap, which can be especially noticeable in multi-level houses.... so if you have low pressure already you may want to look into installing a boosting pump (and costs associated with that) at the same time.

rated:
amits78 said:   Water is somewhat hard even though with in drinking standards.
  That's called "ice"... recommend move south.

rated:
A water softener is terrible for water heaters, and Rheem or A.O. Smith said it could eat up the sacrificial anode in a year.

rated:
Hi Amits78,

I would recommend Home Master HMF2SDGC Whole House water filter. It consists of multi stage filtration, reduces impurities upto 1 micron, easy to install, has very good outflow rate of 20 gallons per minute.

Cheers
Mark

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016