• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I am planning to install a water softener, but couldn't decide on which one. I live in Frisco, TX.
I came across this Home Water Solutions link, it looks better than regular water softener, but I am not sure.
I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:

rated:
IF you NEED all of the water treatments that that systems claims to provide, you are better off using individual systems.
Most likely, all you need is a whole-house softener and maybe a 2-3 stage filtration system for the drinking/cooking water (kitchen cold line).

rated:
Scam

rated:
If your water is hard you have ice. Take it out of the freezer. It will soon turn back into its original form (water). No water softener needed.  If your water is hard because the weather is below freezing, move your water to a warmer area.  Your water will unharden. Again, you'll be wasting money buying a water softener.

rated:
scrouds said:   Scam
  I guess you misunderstood, Home Water Solutions is not my company. I'm really looking to install a water treatment solution. I'm reading about salt based softeners, they seem to increase Sodium level in water. So I'm looking for alternatives. I saw Aquasana, which seems good but I am a bit skeptical on how it would work.

rated:
gangt said:   scrouds said:   Scam
  I guess you misunderstood, Home Water Solutions is not my company. I'm really looking to install a water treatment solution. I'm reading about salt based softeners, they seem to increase Sodium level in water. So I'm looking for alternatives. I saw Aquasana, which seems good but I am a bit skeptical on how it would work.

Still a scam. I interviewed with a company like that. They come in, do a "demonstration" to get you scared of your tap water, make some dirty water clean with their product and sell you a $500 system for $9000.

Then they sell you overpriced service and filters for the rest of the systems lifetime. If you continue to be a sucker, they sell you a new system after that. Rinse and repeat.

rated:
madwest said:   IF you NEED all of the water treatments that that systems claims to provide, you are better off using individual systems.
Most likely, all you need is a whole-house softener and maybe a 2-3 stage filtration system for the drinking/cooking water (kitchen cold line).

+1

OP, if you got a water quality problem, then treat it.  But there's a lot of upselling of unnecessary craps out there.  Maybe you elaborate on your water quality issue we can offer better advice.

rated:
The water doesn't taste bad, but calcium deposits are appearing around the taps more often. I have to scrape them out frequently. Also, I hear people saying it causes hair fall and dry scaly skin. Most of my neighbors installed water softener.
I couldn't decide because of the fact that the softeners add sodium into the water in exchange for the hard minerals. But salt-free options doesn't convince me yet.

rated:
gangt said:   The water doesn't taste bad, but calcium deposits are appearing around the taps more often. I have to scrape them out frequently. Also, I hear people saying it causes hair fall and dry scaly skin. Most of my neighbors installed water softener.
I couldn't decide because of the fact that the softeners add sodium into the water in exchange for the hard minerals. But salt-free options doesn't convince me yet.

There are benefits to having soft water.  However, most of the problems that hard water causes are exaggerated.  They are real, but usually exaggerated.

Having softened water will stop the scale buildup on faucets.  It will make your laundry soap and automatic dishwasher soap perform better.  It will leave your hair and skin feeling cleaner and will make your hair easier to style.  It will make your water heater work better and last longer.  But, unless you have very hard water, those benefits are not overly dramatic.  In general, if you do not feel like you have coated hair or scaly skin, then changing to softened water will not make a major difference in your life.

If you do choose to have a softener installed, a professional installer will plumb it so that the cold water to your kitchen sink is not softened.  That way, you will not drink or cook with sodium enriched water.

There is no practical substitute for water softening.  Your only real choices are hard water or water softened by the ion exchange method.

rated:

. (1.40MB)
Disclaimer

. (1.72MB)
Disclaimer
I don't think that device is legitimate except for the water softener part because they claim it's maintenance free, but carbon and reverse osmosis filters require periodic replacement, and I doubt the product uses something else because about the only other thing commonly available is a distiller, which takes huge amounts of energy to work.  About the only other filters I know of are aerators for removal of Radon and alumina filters for iron (carbon is also used for that).  Here's an old Consumer Reports article about water contaminants and treatments:

rated:
The answer to your question depends on WHY you want softer water....
Are you tired of cleaning water spots off everything and calcium deposits off sinks and faucets?  Too much soap to wash clothes?  If this is your problem, get a commercial water softener from a reputable firm.... (Sears sells them, but look at Consumer reports ratings!)
IF you want better tasting water to drink, then call your local Ozarka delivery office and sign up for bottle delivery every 2 weeks.  This provides great tasting water for cooking and drinking.

In my experience, you cannot get both from a single system!

Which are you wanting?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016