• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I'm thinking about getting into it.  I've done no real research & have no real objective besides picking up a toy that might be intellectually stimulating.

Anyone else here into this?
What are your favorite sites for general information & discussion on the subject?
Where do you go to get your plans or build code for things to print out?
Any brands / sites / printer model you've had problems with that you'd like to help me (and perhaps others) avoid?
Any interesting or important sub-topics related to 3d printing that you'd like to recommend?
Any other sage like wisdom not mentioned here that you could impart on us?

I'm not doing this because I'm too lazy to do my own research, so let's not go here: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=getting+started+with+3d+printing

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Solipsist said:   I'm thinking about getting into it.  I've done no real research

I'm not doing this because I'm too lazy to do my own research

?

rated:
Crown Vic.

rated:
Kandykornhead said:   Crown Vic.
I'm assuming you could only 3d print a model sized one or fwf would be all over it.

rated:
kamalktk said:   
Kandykornhead said:   Crown Vic.
I'm assuming you could only 3d print a model sized one or fwf would be all over it.

3D printing is not yet advanced enough to do the vomit/blood stains and stench of sadness associated with Crown Vic ownership

rated:
You know, if I could 3D print my own didgeridoo's, I'd buy one. The problem is, I don't think that there are any readily available and affordable 3D printers that can print objects that are 3-8 feet long. When that happens, I'll be massively hyped up to enter the exciting world of 3D printing!

rated:
I pulled the trigger on one at GearBest. I know very little at this point. Reviews were good. Price point was low enough to try it. There's a FB group to join. Anet A8 model: http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_343643.ht... Build you're own. A friend talks about 'resolution' in nm, but I don't know what the spec is on Anet A8. Looking forward to it arriving hopefully before Christmas. Fun project.

rated:
kamalktk said:   
Solipsist said:   I'm thinking about getting into it.  I've done no real research

?

I expect learning about the subject & related subjects to be most of the fun in doing it, and this is my exact starting point in that process

For example, I got to learn about the implications of 3D printing on Crown Vic ownership.  If I had just Googled it & went to some blog for a different random stranger's entirely non-fact-based opinion instead of posting a random ass question here, then I would have missed out on that learning opportunity, and where's the fun in that?

rated:
What he's really asking is, can he print himself a better personality with a 3D printer? I'm not sure that tech is available yet.

rated:
Canucklehead said:   I pulled the trigger on one at GearBest. I know very little at this point. Reviews were good. Price point was low enough to try it. There's a FB group to join. Anet A8 model: http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_343643.ht... Build you're own. A friend talks about 'resolution' in nm, but I don't know what the spec is on Anet A8.
I'm probably in a similar boat.

I know very little, but it seems interesting, the technology has been around for long enough, and the price point on some of them seems low enough that I figure it's time to give it a try.

I'm a little concerned about starting out too cheap though, because a cheap piece of junk that I immediately need to upgrade or replace will make me give up immediately & will have been a waste of money.  If all it takes is spending a little more time & money now for something that might inspire me to spend a lot more (time, money, energy, ammunition.. whatever) later, then I would rather go that route.

Mainstream consumer models can be a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars & you can save money by building one from a kit (which I assume I can handle & will do, but who knows how that might change once I find out exactly what is involved)... and that is about the extent of my practical operating knowledge on the subject.

rated:
Solipsist said:   
Canucklehead said:   I pulled the trigger on one at GearBest. I know very little at this point. Reviews were good. Price point was low enough to try it. There's a FB group to join. Anet A8 model: http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_343643.ht... Build you're own. A friend talks about 'resolution' in nm, but I don't know what the spec is on Anet A8.
I'm probably in a similar boat.

I know very little, but it seems interesting, the technology has been around for long enough, and the price point on some of them seems low enough that I figure it's time to give it a try.

I'm a little concerned about starting out too cheap though, because a cheap piece of junk that I immediately need to upgrade or replace will make me give up immediately & will have been a waste of money.  If all it takes is spending a little more time & money now for something that might inspire me to spend a lot more (time, money, energy, ammunition.. whatever) later, then I would rather go that route.

Mainstream consumer models can be a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars & you can save money by building one from a kid

You've goat to get the right kind though, or it just eats all your projects.

My local Staples as a 3D printer you can use. If it flies, floats, fudges, or 3D prints....

rated:
Many times your local library will have a 3D printer that you can use. You might want to check that out before taking the plunge.

rated:
Dont forget your local UPS store for your 3D printing needs!

rated:
MVP9596 said:   What he's really asking is, can he print himself a better personality with a 3D printer? I'm not sure that tech is available yet.
You can't print a new personality, but you can print eyebrows to replace the ones you paint on your face.

rated:

rated:
The only real use I can think of.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqP4eyEXS3E

rated:
MVP9596 said:   What he's really asking is, can he print himself a better personality with a 3D printer? I'm not sure that tech is available yet.
  Maybe he's seeking to do that for certain other coworker...

rated:

3DPrinter (112.00kB)
Disclaimer
Now available at your local Wal mart 

rated:
woowoo2 said:   The only real use I can think of.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqP4eyEXS3E

Ok! You caught me, or close enough...
I was watching the opening credits for Westworld & thought maybe I could learn to print my own Maeve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRi3ULhyQq0

rated:
Tea, earl grey, hot.

rated:
Solipsist said:   
kamalktk said:   

?

I expect learning about the subject & related subjects to be most of the fun in doing it, and this is my exact starting point in that process

For example, I got to learn about the implications of 3D printing on Crown Vic ownership.  If I had just Googled it & went to some blog for a different random stranger's entirely non-fact-based opinion instead of posting a random ass question here, then I would have missed out on that learning opportunity, and where's the fun in that?

I've always wanted one but the CAD modeling design stuff kinda seem complicated.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016