• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
so we're in smaller cubes and i'm wearing headphones and listening. started with classical, then tried music i liked and noticed that it was distracting. am trying acoustic covers (all via Amazon prime music) and finding that while i somewhat recognize the songs, not enough to really get into it. it's not too distracting but not as boring as just classical or lite jazz.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
If I want to fully concentrate on coding, I put on some voiceless EDM music.

If I want to somewhat concentrate, I listen to movie sountracks, podcasts (ESPN:PTI, CNN, NPR, etc)

If I want to listen to music and work in background, I start a rock or alternative radio.. or pick individual albums (English or Bollywood/Indian) that I want to listen to.
---------------
I use google play music for 95% of my music needs. Tunein for the other 5%.

PS: Check out SomaFM.. tunein has most if not all of their streams.

rated:
I work from home and have an old school hi-fi in my office Currently Depeche Mode Live In Berlin, loud.

eta: DM haters gonna hate, don't care

rated:
I can't get enough of The Monkees. Partridge Family too. Unplug those headphones, turn-up the volume all the way while watching YouTube, and have everyone on your floor sing along. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEYNuU6Xtms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTvUT_Hx4Dc

rated:
member-supported jazz for me at KCSM, KCSM FM or streaming. Real DJs who select music to play and provide jazz education commercial-free.

rated:
I have been working [for myself] in the music retail field since for ever, and even before.  

If I listen to music, I listen to music I like and then I cannot do anything else at the same time.

I cannot stand to listen to music I don't like - it hurts my ears.

rated:
Company now blocks all the streaming services even on guest-wifi so I'm back on old FM.

rated:
I run the office at a meditation/yoga center (they still have office stuff to do, too ), and to get in the spirit of the holidays without wanting to punch puppies, I listen to Mannheim Steamroller-ized holiday stuff. I'm kind of a shameless addict. But I've listened to it since my college days and idk, it gives me warm fuzzies.

rated:
The 70's on Sirius.

rated:
Am I the only only one who thinks that when you are on the job you are paid to work, not listen to music?

rated:
Don't usually bother anymore.

Used to be my uncle Ted radio on Pandora for work stuff. Classic Rock with some bite but is otherwise puts me on autopilot while I drop some code.

rated:
atikovi said:   Am I the only only one who thinks that when you are on the job you are paid to work, not listen to music?

Yes. Music can help foster productivity in a myriad of ways. Good music can help a person feel more energized. Music can help drown out obnoxious background noise that is distracting.
I feel like my day goes faster and is less tedious with music. Without it, it drags.

rated:
Right now its seasonal time: Vince Guaraldi Trio's A Charlie Brown Christmas.
when working from home EDM non lyrical stuff seems to make the numbers crunch the best.

BTW last night the kids got to see Star Wars Holiday special with Carrie Fisher's singing https://youtu.be/Sy898D3FLy4

rated:
@OperaMan - Chewie gets in the spirit, too!

https://youtu.be/Vd79mpzBnJ4

rated:
atikovi said:   Am I the only only one who thinks that when you are on the job you are paid to work, not listen to music?
  I agree with you. We are paid for work and not for listening music, but, you cannot ignore the fact that you will be bored with continuous work without any change. So listening music just to refresh our minds a bit, so that we can concentrate on work is not gonna cause any harm or affect our work.  

rated:
Depend on the job. It's hard to take order if you work the counter at McD.

rated:
Don't play music out in the office, play Pandora on my iPhone through a blue tooth speaker in my lab. Keep a shuffle going of '70's rock, '70's lite rock, disco, and classic rock. Interesting(strange) when it goes from Led Zeppelin to ABBA or The Spinners. Used to wear headphones at my previous job, but this speaker allows me to move around more easily.

And yes, they pay me to work, not listen to music, but the two are mutually exclusive.

rated:
The Pandora station I listen to if I listen at work if I listen is a carefully curated station known as uncle Ted radio.

Pandora still hasn't picked up on the fact that I don't live in New York anymore. Serious advertising fails

rated:
mapatsfan said:   play Pandora on my iPhone through a blue tooth speaker in my lab.  

Hope you're not the one doing my bloodwork. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZv0MdkVwkA

rated:
We should all be fed intravenously and be hooked up to catheters! It will improve productivity as no lunch or bathroom breaks will be needed! And solid concrete walls with no photos, you might look at the photos and not be working!

If I'm paying kayk to write me some code, what do I care if he listens to music while he does it? A happier worker will give me a better product. I've gone out and bought cases of cold drinks for workers doing construction for me on hot summer days. They appreciate it, and I bet I get better quality work.

rated:
kamalktk said:   ​I've gone out and bought cases of cold drinks for workers doing construction for me on hot summer days. They appreciate it, and I bet I get better quality work.

Cheapskate. Shoulda bought them beer.

rated:
atikovi said:   kamalktk said:   ​I've gone out and bought cases of cold drinks for workers doing construction for me on hot summer days. They appreciate it, and I bet I get better quality work.

I dont need inebriated workers on angled roofs a few stories up.

rated:
kamalktk said:   
atikovi said:   
kamalktk said:   ​I've gone out and bought cases of cold drinks for workers doing construction for me on hot summer days. They appreciate it, and I bet I get better quality work.

But it's ok if they are shaking their booty and paying more attention to hard rock than laying the shingles?

rated:
atikovi said:   kamalktk said:   
atikovi said:   

But it's ok if they are shaking their booty and paying more attention to hard rock than laying the shingles?

They dont lay shingles, they dont get paid. If they want to listen to music while laying shingles it's not my problem. If they just want to dance, they wont be getting paid.

Music while working goes at least back to military marching songs and songs to keep rythym while cutting wheat in farming. I'm pretty sure the soldiers reach their destinations and people ate, and didn't just boogie down.

rated:
I listen to a variety of styles of music on my Pandora stations while working. I have some active noise canceling Bluetooth headphones that work wonders in a noisy office. But I can't listen to my Spanish station while trying to study a paper or write a paper. Two languages at the same time is too distracting.

Sometimes I dance in my chair and late enough in the day I'll even start singing.

rated:
It's a requirement in places where they charge the customer by the song.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017