• filter:

Delta Dental HMO insurance versus PPO insurance

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Anyone have Delta Dental HMO insurance instead of their Delta Dental PPO insurance?  We are thinking of the HMO product because much less expensive (about 80-90% cheaper annual membership cost) and payment for visit is $15, cleaning $25, Xray $0 (zero), filling is about $80-$125.  etc. all reasonable.

Spouse is concerned we have to go to different dentist because our current dentist only takes the PPO insurance.  

We searched the HMO dentists, there are several nearby, looked up Yelp reviews (found several 4+stars), educational biography from good name universities.
We called and found they have available appointments and are taking new HMO members.

What's wrong with that?  We can save over $1500 for year based on our past use of our dentist services.

Hope fellow Fatwalleteers can give some great advice!!

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Remember that if you are getting insurance through an employer, you are probably not paying the full cost - it's still cheaper to you, but that information can help with comparisons.

rated:
soundtechie said:   Remember that if you are getting insurance through an employer, you are probably not paying the full cost - it's still cheaper to you, but that information can help with comparisons.
  No employer.  This is a cost we have to pay.

rated:
do you work next to me? you already asked me this question on Monday and I told you to take the PPO as the HMO dentists, in my experience, are terrible.

rated:
My employer used to offer Delta Dental PPO and EPO but we switched to Principal, then to Cigna, which had the lowest premiums. The coverage is astounding. Digna is the first dental insurance I have had that paid for my nightguard. I'm so accustom to paying out of pocket that it didn't even occur to me to wait for EOB before paying the bill. What a delightful surprise to find a $321 credit on my account.

rated:
miserly said:   do you work next to me? you already asked me this question on Monday and I told you to take the PPO as the HMO dentists, in my experience, are terrible.
This is true. Also, PPO coverage is best if you are going to come close to the limit. For example, most coverage seems to be about $2,000/year maximum. If you are going to get a root canal and crown, you are going to come very close to that, and are better off with the PPO than the DMO.

rated:

Dr. HMO (45.55kB)
Disclaimer
What does it matter if your dentist is an HMO?

Limo:  It's a picture of two old ladies on a porch.  The first one says, "I went to my HMO doctor today."  The second one responds, "I think our doctor is an HMO, but Frank thinks he's straight."

rated:
"visit is $15, cleaning $25, Xray $0 (zero), filling is about $80-$125"

lol. what kind of group DHMO is that?

I had an individual DHMO that was better. $0 for visit/cleaning/xray. composite filings were the same $ as yours.

City of San Jose's Delta plan is $0 for visit/cleaning/xray

$25-$55 for composites.

PFM crown is $175

lots of expensive procedures are free [deep cleanings, extractions, root canals, bone grafts, tissue grafts (for gum recession), dentures, etc.]

click on "Choosing Your Dental Plan Brochure"

mouth watering 

rated:
HMO through blue cross. Best deal if you have to purchase individual dental insurance.

Ppo is much higher costs and very little coverage. Plus no pre-existing(one year waiting period for anything more than a filling or cleaning)

I pay $62/month for me and my 2 daughters and includes cleaning and xrays, $40 fillings and around $350 for root canal AND crown.

Yes, you have to go to certain dentist, but you can find one you like still.

To me, dentist are worse than used car salesmen. It is one of the biggest scams out there.

rated:
Last time I looked at dental, I gave up and said I'd self insure. I only normally go for issues only,so makes no sense for me.

The ppo always felt like a scam. You pay per month for cleanings and maybe get 80% of a filling, but if you needed something major like a root canal, they pay 50% and you hit a low upper limit.

The hmo I saw didn't have the limit, but would have to change docs. Seemed to cover more, without a limit. Plans do vary, so read them.

Vision was similar. I do wear contacts but my optometrist isn't on my work plan, and when I calculate it out with buying the contacts online, I pay like $50 more a year and get the doc I like,an aspy, hyper guy that knows his shit cold front and back and says it like it is. Wish I could find a medical doc like that.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017