No-slam toilet seats may save your marriage

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
rated:
I never bought a toilet seat before today, but the one in my Florida rental needed replacement and Home Depot had like 20 choices on a display. They have models now that lower softly when you let go of the seat or lid. No slamming if you drop it. Just nudge it from vertical and walk away. This will save a few marriages of men who don't put the seat or cover down after use. Makes it almost fun.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
If your marriage fails because your wife won't leave the toilet seat up, there my be another more serious issue to blame

I got one of those cause my niece wouldnt stop slamming mine and it was pissing me off...problem solved.

Sounds like the niece is the problem, not the seat. 

ganda said:   If your marriage fails because your wife won't leave the toilet seat up, there my be another more serious issue to blame
  The way she has the TP unroll?

atikovi said:   
ganda said:   If your marriage fails because your wife won't leave the toilet seat up, there my be another more serious issue to blame
  The way she has the TP unroll?

  
I was thinking how she loads the dishwasher, but now that's two strikes

Speaking of toilet seats, looking at the HD display, there were a few that had a section missing from the front of the seat. What is the purpose of that?

atikovi said:   Speaking of toilet seats, looking at the HD display, there were a few that had a section missing from the front of the seat. What is the purpose of that?
Ask your parents.

Better than the padded seats. Those always struck me as perpetually unclean.

ganda said:   If your marriage fails because your wife won't leave the toilet seat up, there my be another more serious issue to blame
Not only must the seat be down, but the toilet lid must remain closed when not in use. It makes me crazy when people leave it up. This is nonnegotiable. Also, I want the bathroom door closed. No one is going to f*ck up my feng shui.

<<<very happily single
 

atikovi said:   Speaking of toilet seats, looking at the HD display, there were a few that had a section missing from the front of the seat. What is the purpose of that?

Space for longer junks.

atikovi said:   Speaking of toilet seats, looking at the HD display, there were a few that had a section missing from the front of the seat. What is the purpose of that?
  Wow, didn't know they did high definition toilet seats! Can't keep up with the modern technology...

moonbeam said:   
ganda said:   If your marriage fails because your wife won't leave the toilet seat up, there my be another more serious issue to blame
Not only must the seat be down, but the toilet lid must remain closed when not in use.

  
I have to do this because one of my cats, who has very hairy paws, likes to dangle his feet in the toilet bowl then stand on my pillow to dry his thunderbox-water soaked fur. We both know he heads straight for my pillow on purpose - he denies this of course.

ganda said:   
moonbeam said:   
ganda said:   If your marriage fails because your wife won't leave the toilet seat up, there my be another more serious issue to blame
Not only must the seat be down, but the toilet lid must remain closed when not in use.

  
I have to do this because one of my cats, who has very hairy paws, likes to dangle his feet in the toilet bowl then stand on my pillow to dry his thunderbox-water soaked fur. We both know he heads straight for my pillow on purpose - he denies this of course.

I originally started keeping the toilet closed because I had a cat that liked to drink out if the toilet. Then the bathroom door closed because I had kittens that enjoyed unrolling tp and unfolding towels. They're all long deceased and my current kitties don't cause any problems, but it still seems cleaner and neater to keep the facilities out of view,

BrianGa said:   
atikovi said:   Speaking of toilet seats, looking at the HD display, there were a few that had a section missing from the front of the seat. What is the purpose of that?
Ask your parents.

  That's not possible.

BrianGa said:   Better than the padded seats. Those always struck me as perpetually unclean.
  How are padded seats any dirtier than hard ones? Have one in my house from the last owner.

atikovi said:   
BrianGa said:   Better than the padded seats. Those always struck me as perpetually unclean.
  How are padded seats any dirtier than hard ones? Have one in my house from the last owner.

  I assumed he meant the ones with furry covers, but maybe I'm wrong. I had one of those years ago, but it seemed to be in tge wash more often than on the seat. It always seemed unclean to me, too. 

Thought he meant the soft vinyl covered foam padded seat. Now a furry toilet seat is a whole other animal.

Bought a new house last year. All cabinets everywhere (kitchen and 2.5 bathrooms) and all the toilet seats are soft close. Was a little weird at the beginning.. but now I love it.

Became so used to it that I just let go of the toilet seat and cabinet drawers while on cruise last week.. and they slammed shut lol.

atikovi said:   Thought he meant the soft vinyl covered foam padded seat. Now a furry toilet seat is a whole other animal.
Yea, I meant the padded seat. I can't really explain it, but maybe it's because soft equates to porous in my mind.

I installed these slow closers on 3 in my house... Love them! will never go back to SLAM!!

BrianGa said:   
atikovi said:   Thought he meant the soft vinyl covered foam padded seat. Now a furry toilet seat is a whole other animal.
Yea, I meant the padded seat. I can't really explain it, but maybe it's because soft equates to porous in my mind.

  
The cheaper ones with the welded seams don't hold up well. They get tiny holes/tears in them, especially where the seams are. The vinyl used on padded toilet seats is supposed to be impervious, not porous. The better (hence, more expensive) ones use a thicker high-quality vinyl that has either sewn or glued seams, upholstery quality vinyl that is meant to last. I have the kind with the glued seams, and it's just as easy to clean as a regular hard toilet seat. The glue also acts as a sealant, preventing anything from getting into the seams.

Of course the nicest thing about the padded soft kind, is that they don't slam when you drop them. <quiet>

SweetClover said:   
BrianGa said:   
atikovi said:   Thought he meant the soft vinyl covered foam padded seat. Now a furry toilet seat is a whole other animal.
Yea, I meant the padded seat. I can't really explain it, but maybe it's because soft equates to porous in my mind.

  
The cheaper ones with the welded seams don't hold up well. They get tiny holes/tears in them, especially where the seams are. The vinyl used on padded toilet seats is supposed to be impervious, not porous. The better (hence, more expensive) ones use a thicker high-quality vinyl that has either sewn or glued seams, upholstery quality vinyl that is meant to last. I have the kind with the glued seams, and it's just as easy to clean as a regular hard toilet seat. The glue also acts as a sealant, preventing anything from getting into the seams.

Of course the nicest thing about the padded soft kind, is that they don't slam when you drop them. <quiet>

You sure know a lot about shitters.

BrianGa said:   
SweetClover said:   
BrianGa said:   
atikovi said:   Thought he meant the soft vinyl covered foam padded seat. Now a furry toilet seat is a whole other animal.
Yea, I meant the padded seat. I can't really explain it, but maybe it's because soft equates to porous in my mind.

  
The cheaper ones with the welded seams don't hold up well. They get tiny holes/tears in them, especially where the seams are. The vinyl used on padded toilet seats is supposed to be impervious, not porous. The better (hence, more expensive) ones use a thicker high-quality vinyl that has either sewn or glued seams, upholstery quality vinyl that is meant to last. I have the kind with the glued seams, and it's just as easy to clean as a regular hard toilet seat. The glue also acts as a sealant, preventing anything from getting into the seams.

Of course the nicest thing about the padded soft kind, is that they don't slam when you drop them. <quiet>

You sure know a lot about shitters.

   I used to use the welded seam ones, grew tired of replacing them constantly. I did some research, and learned some things I didn't know, while looking for a better toilet seat. Now that I forked over the extra bucks for a better quality one, I no longer go through cheap quality ones that don't hold up. In the long run, I probably saved money buying one good one. Knowlege is power.

SC, please share details about these high quality seats. I already need to replace the non-soft decorative one I bought a few months ago.

moonbeam said:   SC, please share details about these high quality seats. I already need to replace the non-soft decorative one I bought a few months ago.
  Not the clear plastic one with shiny quarters embedded throughout?

My now 4 year old grandnephew got quite the shock when he first discovered  that although his home has the non-slam seats, other people's houses don't. 

When my son was younger, he found a solution to the issue of not lowering the seat after use. Instead, he would occasionally not bother to raise it before going. Since he didn't raise it, he didn't need to worry about lowering it. For some reason, my wife wasn't happy about this.

moonbeam said:   SC, please share details about these high quality seats. I already need to replace the non-soft decorative one I bought a few months ago.
  
Here's two companies that make these: http://www.eldridgetextile.com/Kushy-Tushy-Toilet-Seat-p/490.htm and http://www.cloudsoftseats.com/  I've had mine for well over a year, and it is holding up fine. I bought a solid-color basic, but both have options such as prints and embroidery. They are expensive, but worth it - you'll pay more for some options. Read reviews about them (I just searched the company's on-line and read reviews from people who bought them). The majority seem to be happy with them, and have owned them for many years.
 



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017