i got a gofundme request

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
from a former co-worker. kind of. he worked for the same company but in a different office. i met him a couple of times but he and i never actually worked together on anything.
i didn't know who it was from originally as it had only his first name (a common name). basically, he was recruited from another state to work at my former company. after a year or soe, he was laid off. since then, he had been in precarious state.
i read through the whole gofundme thing and basically, he's been on and off, mostly off since 2013 and been asking for funding since the beginning of the year.

i'm of mix thoughts on this. it seems strange to me to ask a virtual stranger for money.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Its Christmas time and he is desperate. If it doesn't hurt you financially, you can make a Christmas Miracle happen!

​ETA:  In a similar but not so similar situation, when I have co-workers that I have met from other offices but never really worked with, I usually decline them on Linked-in.  Or x them as "not known" if a see them as a possible match.  Maybe that is what you are feeling with this situation.  I consider them acquaintances.

Well, that's nice but what about other 364 days of the year? Was there illness/accident, natural disaster, or family tragedy?

as far as linkedin, i don't connect unless we've met in person.
back to gofundme, i think as this guy is a virtual stranger, i just thought it was strange that he included me. but i guess, he was desperate.
there was illness, his dog died of old age, people not paying him on the debts they owed him and jobs not working out.

it's an incredibly hot job market. everyone i know in the business usually start the conversation with you know anyone for xx role. if he can't find a job in the market, i kinda think its him. though i don't the details of his travails.

Maybe he took his entire address book and dumped it into gofundme request? I'm not sure how it works. If you ask a coworker who may be in the same situation as you might they tell you if they also received the request?
I agree that it seems strange to ask for money given your mere acquaintanceship but perhaps he is just casting as wide a net as he can. Isn't there a timeframe for those fund requests?

Maybe you should set one up to help support your cell phone purchasing penchant and see who replies? (runs away)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017