Pizza stones

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
They are such a pain in the ass, because getting the pie from the peel onto the stone has to be done in one clean jerk.  Short of having kamalktk's mom around, make your pie on parchment paper.  It slides right in (ahem) and comes out shriveled and brown (cough, cough) and doesn't harm your pie.  No pizza condom needed.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Just call Pizza Hut or Dominos. They deliver and it's better than something you could cobble together at home.

atikovi said:   Just call Pizza Hut or Dominos. They deliver and it's better than something you could cobble together at home.

Hugely disagree, I make this pizza at home and it is better than most, certainly better than Pizza Hut or Dominos.

Pizza stones make bottoms too hard. I don't like a bottom that is too firm, I like a little play in what I spread my toppings on.

The ones baked in wood fired ovens seem to taste the best but no way to replicate that in a home oven. Making pizza is like hanging wallpaper. Anyone can do it and get mediocre results, but it takes years of experience to get excellent results. Pizza places have people making pizzas for years and know what they are doing, so no way to get better results in a few times doing it at home. Besides, why mess up the kitchen rolling dough, making sauce, cutting pepperoni and cheese? The frozen ones are pretty good now anyway.

^
OK, you've lost me now.

The smoke from the wood adds another depth of flavor to the pizza that can't be duplicated in a gas or electric oven.

I use bread machine to make the dough and cast iron thingy to make pizza. Throw in some Costco marinara sauce and shredded mozzarella (again from Costco) and you're golden.

ganda said:   I don't like a bottom that is too firm, I like a little play in what I spread my toppings on.

Me Tarzan, euphemism.

fasttimes said:   They are such a pain in the ass,

You are doing it wrong, just drink lots of fluids and they will pass naturally.
Yes, there will be some pain, if it is too much to bear see a doctor.

carlaandolini said:   
ganda said:   I don't like a bottom that is too firm, I like a little play in what I spread my toppings on.
Me Tarzan, euphemism.

Step away from the eggnog...

Have you tried a cracker bottom Midwestern? I can't get behind that. Worried I'll break a tooth.

woowoo2 said:   
fasttimes said:   They are such a pain in the ass,
  You are doing it wrong, just drink lots of fluids and they will pass naturally.
Yes, there will be some pain, if it is too much to bear see a doctor.

I've had a kidney stone. I'd wish it on my worst enemy. 

atikovi said:    The frozen ones are pretty good now anyway.

Some of the frozen ones are inedible cardboard (I'm talking about you, Celeste, DiGiorno, and a few others).  The only frozen brand I've found so far that is any decent, are the Freshetta brand from Schwans. Schwans own pizzas delivered frozen by them are often good (but not all). Newman's Own is supposed to be good too, haven't tried it yet. I tried Dr Oetkers, after seeing reviews from others who like it, but found the crust to be truly bland and tasteless, and the toppings weren't much better. Very few of the frozen ones are acceptable, let alone pretty good.

I've never bothered with a pizza stone, a sheet pan always works for me. Put the pizza on a sheet of parchment or foil, and add toppings while pan heats up in oven, then transfer sheet to hot pan (or, if you prefer, just put it right on the rack). Crank the oven up, put rack in lowest position - best pizza is cooked as quickly as possible in a very hot oven, crust should be crunchy on the bottom, chewey in the middle, sauce bubbling around the cheese, which is melted in a glorious mass. Someone who worked in a pizzeria gave me a tip once, leave the center of the pizza blank, or put sauce thinly, just to coat it (but no other toppings). When you take it out of the oven, just rotate and shake the pan around, which moves the toppings around and fills the center. He said that this keeps the center from becoming soggy or doughy.  Let the pizza rest for a few moments, which lets the toppings set, then cut and serve

Freshetta, DiGiorno and California Pizza Kitchen are pretty good. I just get them when on sale for $5 so for dinner and two slices for breakfast the next two days, is a good deal. Dr Oetkers mushroom is good and even cheaper on sale.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017