• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Went past a gas station here today and noticed new pricing on their signs.† Now normally they list with or without a car wash but this station had Unleaded for 2.49 and Unleaded E15 for 2.46 (a whopping 3 cent a gallon savings).† This is the first time I saw E15 and that bothers me as it has always been 10 pct in the unleaded here.† My (well both our cars) state no more than 10 pct else it voids the warranty.† Not that Wifes 10 year old Grand Marquis is under warranty but my 2016 has the 100K warranty and Now I am concerned with this showing up (being pushed down our throats is more like it) that if the station owner is not to honest, he could be diluting the regular with the E15 and you would never know other than fuel mileage going down another 5 pct.† Pretty soon I may imagine we may not even have a choice and there are a LOT of cars on the road that cant do the E15 (mine included).

Sounds like another money grab to me and how many people are going to mess up their cars for saving 3 cents a gallon.
†Do you have (or have you seen) any E15 stations out in your parts???† Not talking E85, I mean E-15.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Ah lobbyists, the gift that keeps fudging us up.

Never seen E15. I would avoid gas stations that sold E15. Is this a particular brand? BP/Shell/76?

rated:
I saw it just yesterday.† A chain of stations called Thorntons.† These are located around the Chicago area suburbs.
I sometimes get fuel at that chain but like you mentioned, now perhaps wise to avoid them (until I cant as others sure to follow now).†

rated:
Just about all the gas everywhere in the state has 10% ethanol, and they're not trying to take that away or switch it for something cheaper...† they're just adding E15 as another option,

On the surface, it's a business decision to try to get on the leading edge of & try to drive the gradual migration towards more & more renewable fuel sources.

I think their real game is to call attention to the fact that they are a smaller, independent brand in order to establish a reputation for being a progressive company, and more importantly for NOT being BP or Exxon/Mobil, who a lot more people are likely to hate.† I'm sure there are quite a few dollars to be made just by being the lesser evil in the big oil crowd.

rated:
Solipsist said:   Just about all the gas everywhere in the state has 10% ethanol, and they're not trying to take that away or switch it for something cheaper...† they're just adding E15 as another option,

This is apparently 85% ethanol according to google.

rated:
I specifically said NOT talking E-85, I mean E-15. This is where people are going to get caught up in confusion and potentially ruin their car if not designed for it.
Do another google search on E-15 fuel and be enlightened.
E15 (15% ethanol, 85% gasoline) is a higher octane fuel available in 23 states at retail fueling stations.

Who is offering E15 today?

Sheetz, Kum & Go, Murphy USA, MAPCO Express, Protec Fuel, Minnoco, Thorntonís and Hy-Vee all offer E15 to 2001 and new vehicles today at several stations. Thanks to recent grants from the USDA and the ethanol and agriculture industries, nearly 2,000 new E15/E85 stations are scheduled to open across the country in the next 12 months.

Say goodbye to the fuel mileage you are getting on your car now as all the ethanol does is cause the gas dial to spin without adding any real value as far as additional MPG to the user.

They make a statement about 2001 and newer vehicles but there are many foreign cars as well as American cars
that cannot use this fuel as it will damage the fuel system components. Engines that may not use E15 are all off-road vehicles, including boats and snowmobiles, all off-road equipment, including lawnmowers and chainsaws, and vehicles with heavy-duty engines. The E-10 is already wreaking havoc on the smaller engines in the snowblowers, lawnmowers and chainsaws.† Buyer beware if you mis-fuel your car with this stuff.
The gas stations sure wont pay for any damage.

rated:
<point and laugh>

Ah, the fruit of farm state's political power.

rated:
Dovetonsils said:   

Who is offering E15 today?

Sheetz

††
Am I the only one who asks "anyone need to stop for a Sheetz?" when driving past one of these?

I am a road trip joy.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017