WTF USPS?

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Text Only
rated:

Tracking
Disclaimer
WTF USPS.. At same location for 5 days.. and I bought it with Amazon Prime.
I'm about to go after Amazon to give me some refund.. so they can go after USPS.

Here you go, JAWS friendly:
DATE & TIME STATUS OF ITEM LOCATION
December 26, 2016 , 1:51 am In Transit to Destination   
December 25, 2016 , 1:51 am Departed USPS Facility JERSEY CITY, NJ 07097 
December 25, 2016 , 1:39 am Arrived at USPS Facility JERSEY CITY, NJ 07097 
December 22, 2016 , 10:58 am Forwarded JERSEY CITY, NJ 
December 22, 2016 , 10:57 am Arrived at USPS Facility JERSEY CITY, NJ 07304 
December 22, 2016 , 6:06 am Arrived at Post Office JERSEY CITY, NJ 07304 
December 22, 2016 , 5:06 am Accepted at USPS Facility JERSEY CITY, NJ 07304 
December 20, 2016 , 7:53 pm Departed Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item CHATTANOOGA, TN 37416 
December 20, 2016 , 11:44 am Picked Up by Shipping Partner, USPS Awaiting Item CHATTANOOGA, TN 37416 

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Amazon CS to rescue. Didn't even have to ask for a refund. Took less than 5 minutes chat start to finish.

Me: Hello.. I ordered an item on December 20th through Prime and it still has not been delivered yet. It was a Christmas gift and and now it's 2 days after Christmas.
You are now connected to Rosy from Amazon.com
Rosy: Hello, my name is Rosy. I'm here to help you today. "Thank you for being a Prime member."
Rosy: Super Nintendo Cartridge Dust Cover Global Game Gear, 6 pack , Is this the item?
Me: Yes
Rosy: As the tracking of this item has not been updated yet, so we assume the item to be lost in transit, But you need not worry, I would like to issue you a full refund, I would also like to inform you that replacement from my end is not possible as this item is sold by seller, So, i request you to place a new order. I hope this information helps?
Rosy: Thank you for waiting. I have successfully issued you the refund and the same will be credited within 3 to 5 business days.
Me: OK thanks
Rosy: I would like to make sure that you are happy with my assistance?
Rosy: It was a pleasure assisting you today! We look forward to seeing you again soon. If there is anything else I can help with, let me know. Otherwise, you can click the *End Chat* button on the top right corner of this window.

Umm, you do know it was just Christmas? When it arrives today or tomorrow will you send it back? These wouldn't be wind chimes by any chance?

It wasn't for me. I was a Secret Santa through Reddit for some random dude in Brooklyn.

No.. the item was clear cases for SNES cartridges.. random dude had mentioned he's into classic games.

ETA: It doesn't matter it was just Christmas. I ordered item on 20th. It was in Jersey City, NJ on 22nd 5:00 AM. Today it's 27th. It's going to Brooklyn. I expected it to be delivered 23rd end of day latest. I pay for Amazon Prime for a reason. If it's not delivered.. I don't really care whose problem it is. I want refund.
I could have walked to Jersey City to the destination address (11.7 miles) in under 4 hours. It shouldn't USPS (or anyone for that matter) over 124 hours as of now to deliver it.

What did he get you?

KayK said:   It wasn't for me. I was a Secret Santa through Reddit for some random dude in Brooklyn.

No.. the item was clear cases for SNES cartridges.. random dude had mentioned he's into classic games.

ET

Whoa! Who does secret santa with Reddit strangers?

MilleniumBuc said:   KayK said:   It wasn't for me. I was a Secret Santa through Reddit for some random dude in Brooklyn.

ET

Whoa! Who does secret santa with Reddit strangers?
For this year's Secret Santa, 118,858 folks from around the world.
The one major winner of secret santa this year: https://www.redditgifts.com/gallery/secret-santa-2016/gift/won-secret-santabill-gates-was-my-santa/

Update
DATE & TIME STATUS OF ITEM LOCATION
December 27, 2016 , 10:42 am Out for Delivery  BROOKLYN, NY 11224 
December 27, 2016 , 10:02 am Sorting Complete BROOKLYN, NY 11224 
December 27, 2016 , 9:34 am Arrived at Post Office BROOKLYN, NY 11224 

USPS is seriously a mess. They offer 1-day Priority Mail with pickup from your house. I sent a box to my mom back in November, and it took 2 days to get there. And that's after they actually picked it up. The day pickup was scheduled, no one showed up, and the box was still outside my door by 5 pm, which is when package pickups are cut off. So I rescheduled it, and in the instructions I added, "No one showed up today, can you actually do your job and come tomorrow?"

I sent another box to Mom on the 23rd, overnight Priority Mail, it's arriving today. Prior to Christmas, all the news outlets, and USPS themselves, were telling folks that if they sent stuff by Priority Mail overnight on the 23rd, it would arrive by Christmas. Ummmm... no. If people are paying for 1-day Priority Mail, they should get what they paid for. And on a holiday, they shouldn't guarantee timely arrival, unless they can do it.

I had to deal with USPS incompetence when I had a medication sent to my old address, even though I had changed my info with the mail order pharmacy. I still had mail forwarding with USPS. Both were at fault, the pharmacy some how sent it to an address I hadn't lived at for 8 months, and the local USPS office failed to follow the forwarding procedures. After talking to both, I thought I had it straightened out, when low and behold, I go to check the tracking, and find that the incompetent employees at the Newark, DE USPS branch, stupidly sent the package out again to my old address, after the equally incompetent ones at the New Castle branch sent it back to the Wilmington sorting center, when they should have delivered it to me. It was literally going in circles, which appeared to be what happened with your Amazon one, looking at the tracking.

The USPS supervisor I ended up contacting (because by then I was just furious), said that there have been problems with the Newark branch office, that they have been trying to address. Even when I lived in Newark, the mail was a mess. My sister was constantly getting the neighbors mail, and neighbors were getting ours. They delivered an eBay purchase I made to the wrong house, took them 3 days to figure out where they left it. It was found at one of the houses used for University of Delaware students, which was unoccupied as the students were on break at the time.

The guy that walks my local route through my subdivision in New Castle is great, but when someone is subbing for him, things get screwed up. I had outgoing mail not picked up for 2 days by the substitute, plus had someone else's mail with mine. The sub just dumped the incoming mail on top of the outgoing, it's like he couldn't care. I left a terse note, added the mail that wasn't mine, put all in a bag labelled in large letters, "Mailman please pick up." It got picked up on Day 3, I noticed our regular mail route guy was back on Day 4. USPS field office admits they are having problems with the New Castle branch, not as bad as the incompetent Newark office, but still...

So, UPS has a pickup and deliver service, I am seriously considering looking into it. Hopefully it will be better than USPS.

SweetClover said:   USPS is seriously a mess. 
  I'm happy if I get my mail by 6PM. Right now it's after 6 so I'm not so happy.

Hat's off to USPS for working on Christmas Day! Or at least their scanner was working.

We don't even have a regular carrier, just subs. Our regular carrier is on limited duty due to disability. He only sorts mail. He doesn't deliver. So our mail delivery is often late and sometimes days are missed entirely, when there's no one available to do it.

moonbeam said:   We don't even have a regular carrier, just subs. Our regular carrier is on limited duty due to disability. He only sorts mail. He doesn't deliver. So our mail delivery is often late and sometimes days are missed entirely, when there's no one available to do it.

Our regular carrier is great but the subs look and act like homeless people who were just handed a mail sack on the street and told to get to work.  I'm going to tell our regular carrier that he can't ever go on vacation or retire.

clangle said:   
moonbeam said:   We don't even have a regular carrier, just subs. Our regular carrier is on limited duty due to disability. He only sorts mail. He doesn't deliver. So our mail delivery is often late and sometimes days are missed entirely, when there's no one available to do it.

Our regular carrier is great but the subs look and act like homeless people who were just handed a mail sack on the street and told to get to work.  I'm going to tell our regular carrier that he can't ever go on vacation or retire.

I wish I could do that. Everything is fine with our reg, but the subs are clueless, and have absolutely no idea what they are doing. The regional office in New Jersey that covers DE admits my USPS branch has problems they are working on to fix. You could try contacting your regional supervisor, I googled the contact info for mine.

Second update:

Amazon sent me refund yesterday morning.

My carrier left me a "christmas card" on top of the mailbox with her personal address on it. As per postal regulation, he(or she) didn't put in the mailbox since there's no stamp on it but then it got soaking wet and mushy since I don't take my mail for days. I guess s/he was hoping people would send a present to the address.

Today's USPS sub threw a huge fit when I gave her two small outgoing packages. She said, and I quote, "I don't have time for that. I'm on a schedule." Seriously, how long does it take to throw two packages into the truck? 30 seconds? She spent way more time complaining about doing it than it took to just do it. She also refused to scan them. I don't feel confident that my packages will reach their destination.

My mailman has actually thanked me for ordering so many packages.
I am part of the reason he is still employed.

So what did you do when it arrived? Return, or reverse refund?  I'm in the same boat today. Made it to my local post office, then forward to next state over... WTF?

Sounds like you are in my neighborhood, lol. I'm in Northern California, all subs and it has gotten a little bit better the last couple of weeks as mail is now arriving around 6-7:30PM for awhile it seemed like it was only getting delivered every other day and then it was 8-10PM. One night it was 10:30PM.

And there's a reason why a service.. founded by constitutional congress right there in US in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania over 240 years ago (in 1775) is still in business. For comparison, FedEx started in 1973..  UPS in 1907.. and it's been all those years.. they still won't beat USPS.

FrugalFreaky said:   And there's a reason why a service.. founded by constitutional congress right there in US in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania over 240 years ago (in 1775) is still in business. For comparison, FedEx started in 1973..  UPS in 1907.. and it's been all those years.. they still won't beat USPS.
  USPS shouldn't be in "business".. period.
USPS wouldn't last a month if it was a corporation.

USPS Fiscal Year Net Income
2015 - $5.1 billion loss
2014 - $5.5 billion loss
2013 - $5 billion loss
2012 - $15.9 billion loss
2011 - $5.1 billion loss
2010 - $8.5 billion loss
2009 - $3.8 billion loss
2008 - $2.8 billion loss
2007 - $5.1 billion loss

KayK said:   FrugalFreaky said:   And there's a reason why a service.. founded by constitutional congress right there in US in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania over 240 years ago (in 1775) is still in business. For comparison, FedEx started in 1973..  UPS in 1907.. and it's been all those years.. they still won't beat USPS.

2015 - $5.1 billion loss
2014 - $5.5 billion loss
2013 - $5 billion loss
2011 - $5.1 billion loss
2010 - $8.5 billion loss
2009 - $3.8 billion loss
2008 - $2.8 billion loss
2007 - $5.1 billion loss

The federally mandated pension payments for future Usps workers that havent even been born yet may have something to do with that.

KayK said:   FrugalFreaky said:   And there's a reason why a service.. founded by constitutional congress right there in US in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania over 240 years ago (in 1775) is still in business. For comparison, FedEx started in 1973..  UPS in 1907.. and it's been all those years.. they still won't beat USPS.

2015 - $5.1 billion loss
2014 - $5.5 billion loss
2013 - $5 billion loss
2011 - $5.1 billion loss
2010 - $8.5 billion loss
2009 - $3.8 billion loss
2008 - $2.8 billion loss
2007 - $5.1 billion loss

Remind me of how profitable the military is? The usps is something that's part of the Constitution. They saw the value even if it doesnt provide a "profit".

kamalktk said:   
KayK said:   
FrugalFreaky said:   And there's a reason why a service.. founded by constitutional congress right there in US in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania over 240 years ago (in 1775) is still in business. For comparison, FedEx started in 1973..  UPS in 1907.. and it's been all those years.. they still won't beat USPS.

2015 - $5.1 billion loss
2014 - $5.5 billion loss
2013 - $5 billion loss
2011 - $5.1 billion loss
2010 - $8.5 billion loss
2009 - $3.8 billion loss
2008 - $2.8 billion loss
2007 - $5.1 billion loss

Remind me of how profitable the military is? The usps is something that's part of the Constitution. They saw the value even if it doesnt provide a "profit".

There are 122 million folks in US who pay federal income tax.
Since 2007.. average USPS loss per federal tax payer has been $52 per person per year. That is ridiculous.. for a service many people don't even use.

Put the pension requirement on standard corporations and they would be in the red too. Wait, forgot that they go bankrupt and pass on the responsibility to the governments insurance for pensions which is insanely unfounded, including all the cities, counties and municipalities, now that baby boomers are starting to retire and make the bulk of these IOUs.

KayK said:   

2015 - $5.1 billion loss
2014 - $5.5 billion loss
2013 - $5 billion loss
2011 - $5.1 billion loss
2010 - $8.5 billion loss
2009 - $3.8 billion loss
2008 - $2.8 billion loss
2007 - $5.1 billion loss

Let me know when UPS will deliver a letter to the other coast for 50 cents.

The USPS certainly has its problems, but as an overall machine/process it works extraordinarily well - see those 50 cent letters. My business uses the USPS daily, about $50K annually in postage, and it is highly efficient from my perspective. Lost mail is a tiny fraction of a percent, it's negligible.

If the USPS went away tomorrow the country would be far worse off for it. Not everything (military/health care/mail service/air traffic control/EPA/education/etc/etc) needs to make a profit. We're a society [/Costanza]

ganda said:   
KayK said:   

2015 - $5.1 billion loss
2014 - $5.5 billion loss
2013 - $5 billion loss
2011 - $5.1 billion loss
2010 - $8.5 billion loss
2009 - $3.8 billion loss
2008 - $2.8 billion loss
2007 - $5.1 billion loss

The USPS certainly has its problems, but as an overall machine/process it works extraordinarily well - see those 50 cent letters. My business uses the USPS daily, about $50K annually in postage, and it is highly efficient from my perspective. Lost mail is a tiny fraction of a percent, it's negligible.

If the USPS went away tomorrow the country would be far worse off for it. Not everything (military/health care/mail service/air traffic control/EPA/education/etc/etc) needs to make a profit. We're a society [/Costanza]

Not saying USPS needs to go away. I'm saying USPS needs to raise their prices.
It is stupid of them to send a letter from Key West to Barrow for under 50 cents.
For your business.. that would create problems.. but for an average individual (like me who sent a grand total of 25 things past 12 months.. and that's between us 4 federal tax payers) it makes no sense that we are paying government which has a loss of $200 while we spent $12:50 on it.
I want my taxes going towards an efficient government organization.. not a moneyhole like USPS.

tracking
Disclaimer
Another fine example.. package went from NYC to Stamford,CT to Jersey City, NJ to Teterboro, NJ to Jersey City, NJ to Teterboro, NJ.

KayK said:   
ganda said:   
KayK said:   

2015 - $5.1 billion loss
2014 - $5.5 billion loss
2013 - $5 billion loss
2011 - $5.1 billion loss
2010 - $8.5 billion loss
2009 - $3.8 billion loss
2008 - $2.8 billion loss
2007 - $5.1 billion loss

Not saying USPS needs to go away. I'm saying USPS needs to raise their prices.
It is stupid of them to send a letter from Key West to Barrow for under 50 cents.
For your business.. that would create problems.. but for an average individual (like me who sent a grand total of 25 things past 12 months.. and that's between us 4 federal tax payers) it makes no sense that we are paying government which has a loss of $200 while we spent $12:50 on it.
I want my taxes going towards an efficient government organization.. not a moneyhole like USPS.

It's already been explained to you why the USPS appears to run at a loss, some of our politicians have an agenda (imagine that!) and have hamstrung it in a way that would have bankrupted UPS and FedEx. 

I've never used that Interstate across Montana, and neither has 98% of us, but we all paid for it, and it benefits us all as a whole. We're a society [/Costanza]

I can't believe I'm defending the USPS to a UPS employee FFS BTW, my business doesn't use UPS, we use FedEx when appropriate, because What Can Brown Break For You Today?

Oh, and if our politicians care so much about the profitability of the USPS they'd stop forcing it to deliver as free first class mail all their political crap junk mail. Wonder why they don't do that? I'm sure UPS would be happy to charge them $5 for every piece of crap junk mail they bombard us with when they want votes.

At my job we only use ups if the customer demands it. Everything goes out FedEx, much of it overnight. It's hard to trust thousands of dollars of temperature sensitive products with ups. Or usps for that matter.

That being said, I used to work at a place that sent a lot of mail. We presorted our first class but had a company that would aggregate our bulk, presort with all the other local mailers and split the cost savings.

Blow up dolls are 'sensitive products'?

Canucklehead said:   Blow up dolls are 'sensitive products'?
We sell drugs

scrouds said:   Canucklehead said:   Blow up dolls are 'sensitive products'?
We sell drugs

Shipped in blow up dolls?

kamalktk said:   scrouds said:   Canucklehead said:   Blow up dolls are 'sensitive products'?
We sell drugs

Shipped in blow up dolls?

That costs Extra

ganda said:   
KayK said:   

2015 - $5.1 billion loss
2014 - $5.5 billion loss
2013 - $5 billion loss
2011 - $5.1 billion loss
2010 - $8.5 billion loss
2009 - $3.8 billion loss
2008 - $2.8 billion loss
2007 - $5.1 billion loss

I'm totally in agreement.  When did everything become a business and have to turn a profit to be worthwhile?  In general, at least around these parts, services which have been privatized as "cost saving measures" have gone straight down the toilet.  Ambulance and school buses spring immediately to mind.  At least our garbage services are still run by the town.  

KayK said:   
Since 2007.. average USPS loss per federal tax payer has been $52 per person per year. That is ridiculous.. for a service many people don't even use.

$1/ week seems pretty reasonable cheap to me, to have a guy come to your house and deliver/pick up your mail 6 days/week. And who are these "many people" who don't use the mail? Even if they don't, I'm sure they benefit from other people/companies being able to use the mail.

BrianGa said:   KayK said:   

$1/ week seems pretty reasonable cheap to me, to have a guy come to your house and deliver/pick up your mail 6 days/week. And who are these "many people" who don't use the mail? Even if they don't, I'm sure they benefit from other people/companies being able to use the mail.

Why should I pay for other people/companies to be able to send something to me for a cheaper price. Shouldn't they be charged a higher price and they (if companies) in turn charge me a higher price for shipping letter or package or anything? If relatives, they'll think twice and send me if I am worth it to be sent whatever they're sending.

The huge difference is people comparing USPS to UPS or Fedex. Latter two are public companies who work for profit.. who respond to shareholders. USPS responds to no one. Who cares if they have a loss.. they really don't really give a damn..and they really haven't for almost a decade. they know they'll get the money to operate.

Well, I pay over $100 for mass transit I almost never use, I pay over $200 for library, and about $150 for "rural hospital district" I never use. In the scheme of things, USPS ain't that big a deal. Yes, they could innovate and provide better service but congress is the problem. Bloomberg did a great analysis on it and I'll post the link when I find it later.

Skipping 2 Messages...
ganda said:   KayK said:   
BrianGa said:   
KayK said:   

Why should I pay for other people/companies to be able to send something to me for a cheaper price.

Why should I as a taxpayer subsidize $11/hr UPS workers with food stamps and other government benefits. UPS should pay them a living wage, and pass that cost on to their customers. I don't use UPS - stop mooching off my taxes!!

Drivers: http://www.truckdriverssalary.com/ups-driver-salary/Again.. food stamps is not a publicly funded organization.. it's funded from our paychecks whether we want it or not.. and I know people who abuse it (like living in an apartment funded [outside of rent] by their kids.. and having only enough income to pay for rent.. and getting food stamps)
Food Stamps / USPS cannot and should not be compared to publicly traded companies. You don't pay for companies that you know are useless to you (unlike USPS or food stamps).. and you can not be forced to pay for a public company's income (unlike USPS or food stamps)
if USPS goes out of business, I am sure all delivery companies would more than likely want to get that piece of the pie. Rates might be higher, but competitive. With USPS, there is no competition, because USPS doesn't give a damn about it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017