Why are most of the radio stations nicknamed "the river" or "eagle"

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
On a recent 1,000 mile drive up from Florida I occasionally turned the radio on and noticed some stations have nicknames and the most common seem to be river and eagle. What gives? Why the same name for some many stations?

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
I think there was a Los Angeles radio station nicknamed "the river" years ago. Los Angeles isn't known for its rivers, aside from the L.A. River, which is a flood control channel. You won't catch any fish in it, but probably will catch a disease from all the crap that flows down it.

burgerwars said:   I think there was a Los Angeles radio station nicknamed "the river" years ago. Los Angeles isn't known for its rivers, aside from the L.A. River, which is a flood control channel. You won't catch any fish in it, but probably will catch a disease from all the crap that flows down it.

The LA River is a navigable body of water. There was a lawsuit about that, challenging that the public should have access.

First time I saw the LA River, I was on a train coming up from San Diego. Saw a car doing donuts. Really gta shit.

scrouds said:   
burgerwars said:   I think there was a Los Angeles radio station nicknamed "the river" years ago. Los Angeles isn't known for its rivers, aside from the L.A. River, which is a flood control channel. You won't catch any fish in it, but probably will catch a disease from all the crap that flows down it.

The LA River is a navigable body of water. There was a lawsuit about that, challenging that the public should have access.

First time I saw the LA River, I was on a train coming up from San Diego. Saw a car doing donuts. Really gta shit.

Keep going north to my part of town (the San Fernando Valley), and it's a cement lined flood control channel.  If someone wants to access, swim, or "go fishing in it," I say let them, then send them for psychiatric evaluation. 

This is awesome! Thank you for this insight.

Am in NYC market. know 0 rivers or eagles

One of each around here

Conglomerates own stations nationwide and they keep branding the same. It's why every major market has a "Kiss FM" and it plays Top 40.

I bet "eagle" is country, and "river" is adult contemporary (eg soccer mom music).

Or HOT FM

For sports it's usually The Fan, The Ticket

Our 'eagle' is classic rock. I believe our country station is the 'Gator'. No 'river', though.. which is weird because I live on a fairly major river and my city's nickname is 'the river city'.

I think it's because you'd rather fly or take a boat than drive & have to listen to those crappy radio stations

DenverDiver said:   Or HOT FM

To be fair.. a local sports radio station's call sign is literally WFAN

One rock station here is "The Raven". The Fargo AM talk is "The Flag".

I learned from Longmire that a flock of ravens is called "an unkindness" but the google says it is also called "a conspiracy".

KayK said:   DenverDiver said:   Or HOT FM

They broadcast at 50,000 watts. My dad listened to them. On a clear night you could even pick up their broadcast of the Yankee games from South Carolina.

We have no Eagles nor Rivers, but I'll give you a Hawk and a Bob and a Classy and a Star and a Magic. The rest have unique (or fairly unique) names.

scrouds said:   
KayK said:   

They broadcast at 50,000 watts. My dad listened to them. On a clear night you could even pick up their broadcast of the Yankee games from South Carolina.

Not sure how far back you're referring, but WFAN started covering Yankee games in 2014. Prior to that, WFAN was the radio network for the Mets.

The Morning Zoo

meade18 said:   scrouds said:   
KayK said:   

Not sure how far back you're referring, but WFAN started covering Yankee games in 2014. Prior to that, WFAN was the radio network for the Mets.

90s?

Could have been a different station. It's been a while.

The Wave

atikovi said:   On a recent 1,000 mile drive up from Florida I occasionally turned the radio on and noticed some stations have nicknames and the most common seem to be river and eagle. What gives? Why the same name for some many stations?
  They hire the same few consultants.  Local TV news does the same with its own consultants.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017