• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
http://www.vehicleservicepros.com/industry-news/technology/press... 

I can imagine some good functions like flashing red if car is stolen, but tin foil hat aficionados will have a field day with it's potential issues.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Hold on let me get my hat...

No!

rated:
James Bond car with switching license plates picture goes here.

rated:
I have my tin-foil hat on and .. nothing else.

rated:
For my own car.. I'll put on my tinfoil hat.

For work though.. the telematics and vehicle management aspect of it along with RF sensors are very interesting to me.. along with the application development platform.

rated:
Are they internet connected so the DMV can remotely change the display to "EXPIRED" or "NO INSURANCE"?

rated:
atikovi said:   Are they internet connected so the DMV can remotely change the display to "EXPIRED" or "NO INSURANCE"?
lol, WHAT?!  You posted this article for all of us to read without reading it yourself?

Anyway... the answer is yes:
article said: This smart device is an Internet of Things (IoT) platform that offers unlimited opportunities for applications, including DMV registration automation, hyper-local messaging, telematics and vehicle management.

rated:
What is an Internet of Things (IoT) platform? Sounds like geekspeak.

rated:
atikovi said:   What is an Internet of Things (IoT) platform? Sounds like geekspeak.
It's geekspeak for "you're going to need to change the password on your toaster".

rated:
atikovi said:   What is an Internet of Things (IoT) platform? Sounds like geekspeak.
here's your explanation 

rated:
I want a jail broken one were I can speak to text and write things like

"Too close JA"
"F Off"
"Need New BMPR"

rated:
NO!
Just NO
A way to remote disable. I am against this overreach.

rated:
FrugalFreaky said:   NO!
Just NO

Anyone driving a 10 year old GM car with Onstar can be disabled.

rated:
atikovi said:   Are they internet connected so the DMV can remotely change the display to "EXPIRED" or "NO INSURANCE"?

Given what our government *can* achieve surveillance-wise, I fail to see why we can't have transponders in our cars that alert "No Insurance" or "No License", so offenders can be hung from streetlights and their vehicles crushed.  

rated:
atikovi said:   FrugalFreaky said:   NO!
Just NO

Anyone driving a 10 year old GM car with Onstar can be disabled.

How about 12 years? My understanding is the old ones used the analog cell network, which has been shut down mostly.

rated:
kamalktk said:   atikovi said:   What is an Internet of Things (IoT) platform? Sounds like geekspeak.
It's geekspeak for "you're going to need to change the password on your toaster".

I refer to is as the Internet of crap. All your crap, on the Internet. Light bulbs, toasters, fridge, washer, dishwasher, your curling iron, the vacuum, your door locks.

At some point I will adopt the Internet of crap, but first I need a more secure network to put the devices on.

rated:
scrouds said:   
kamalktk said:   

I refer to is as the Internet of crap. All your crap, on the Internet. Light bulbs, toasters, fridge, washer, dishwasher, your curling iron, the vacuum, your door locks.

At some point I will adopt the Internet of crap, but first I need a more secure network to put the devices on.

Anyone else getting bad VIBES about this?

rated:
george2001 said:   scrouds said:   
kamalktk said:   

Anyone else getting bad VIBES about this?

The Vibes are internet connected too.

rated:
Rollerbags, AGP slot, Fasttimes' mom, Crown Vic, never call, and done!

rated:
Kandykornhead said:   Rollerbags, AGP slot, Fasttimes' mom, Crown Vic, never call, and done!
No h&b?

rated:
Advertising not allowed.

rated:
Fstmsmm

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017