Does anyone buy stocks in the companies they hate?

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Does anyone buy stocks in the companies they hate?  If so, which ones?  What do you think of this investment strategy?

I'd like to reference this article: link

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Does owning stock of your employer count?

You shouldn't be buying individual stocks anyway unless you really, really, know what you are doing.

I still own quite a bit of a company stock I used to work for due to ESPP but I been reducing holding in it over time.

Don't like American Airlines. But caught them at $3/share so I gambled $30k and bought 10k shares. When they split 10 to 1, I'm down 1k shares and I still kept them. As of today, AA shares are at close $50 & haven't sold one share yet. Not too bad with with $50k now from initial $3k gamble.

I only own one stock.. and I keep owning it because I get ~2.5-3% in dividend and 3.33% in extra bonus based on the amount of stock. Both combined amounts to close to $4k a year.

If you want to avoid industries for ethical reasons, there are "ethical funds" that will invest while avoiding an industry or a set of them, so you can avoid oil stocks or alcohol makers or cigarette companies etc if you disapprove of them.

I stopped gambling on individual stocks. I still have some from ESPP or old holdings that have done well. I don't hate them nor like them.

I don't buy companies I necessarily hate, but I definitely do buy individual stocks and I prefer those that pay high dividends.

My money is safe in a coffee can buried at an undisclosed location. (shakes can, hears comforting jingling sound)

kirbydog said:   My money is safe in a coffee can buried at an undisclosed location. (shakes can, hears comforting jingling sound)
  Right next to the sandwich you left on the kitchen counter this morning.

Kandykornhead said:   kirbydog said:   My money is safe in a coffee can buried at an undisclosed location. (shakes can, hears comforting jingling sound)
  Right next to the sandwich you left on the kitchen counter this morning.

Once again the conservative sandwich-heavy portfolio pays off for the hungry investor.

kirbydog said:   My money is safe in a coffee can buried at an undisclosed location. (shakes can, hears comforting jingling sound)
  Coffee cans can be found with metal detectors.  Use dog houses and grease pits, as this lawyer did

ZenNUTS said:   You shouldn't be buying individual stocks anyway unless you really, really, know what you are doing.

that's what I keep telling my butler.

Does buying stocks whose products you don't buy or use count?

If so, I've owned the following for quite a while, but am nervous about the near future of the market in general. But I don't buy or use their products.

Apple
IBM
McDonalds
Corning
Verizon

cga said:   Does buying stocks whose products you don't buy or use count?

If so, I've owned the following for quite a while, but am nervous about the near future of the market in general. But I don't buy or use their products.

Apple
IBM
McDonalds
Corning
Verizon

Do you hate those companies? I figured this thread was about places like Puppykickers Inc. or We Hate Pie Ltd.

kamalktk said:   
cga said:   Does buying stocks whose products you don't buy or use count?

Apple
IBM
McDonalds
Corning
Verizon

Do you hate those companies? I figured this thread was about places like Puppykickers Inc. or We Hate Pie Ltd.

No, not really. Which is why I prefaced my reply by sort of asking if I should list the stocks I own, but don't patronize, and don't necessarily hate..

I use Comcast, and definitely hate them. I am considering buying their stock since they have services in areas that have little to no competition.

I am not opposed to buying stock of companies I wouldn't patronize myself.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017