Am I a jerk for hating fundraisers?

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I love volunteering and working to make the community better, but I get so annoyed when people ask me to sponsor their stupid fundraisers. Why am I paying you to go bowling and what does that have to do with solving poverty, cancer or undernourished people?

It seems a lame excuse for people who do not actually want to work towards solving a problem to pat themselves on the back for "volunteering." Why don't they volunteer at Mcdonald's for eight hours and give the wages to Red Cross instead of walking around a track for eight hours? Am i really the only one that feels this way? 

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR SUPPORT
___$015.00 -  I do not want to bake, So here is the money I would of spent on those cupcakes.  
___$025.00 -  I do not want to hit up friends, family, and co-workers, so here is the money I would have spent on buying wrapping paper.  
___$050.00 -  I do not want to walk, swim or run in any activity that has the word "thon" in it. Here is the money I would have spent on my child's "Free" t-shirt.  
___$075.00 -  I don't want to attend any fancy balls, so here is the money I would have spent on a new outfit.  
___$100.00 -  I really wouldn't have helped anyway, so here is $100 to forget my name, phone number and address.
___$999.99 -  I am making this donnation to express my appreciation for having nothing to buy, sell, or do except to fill out this form.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
BigBoyMichigan said:   I love volunteering and working to make the community better, but I get so annoyed when people ask me to sponsor their stupid fundraisers. Why am I paying you to go bowling and what does that have to do with solving poverty, cancer or undernourished people?

It seems a lame excuse for people who do not actually want to work towards solving a problem to pat themselves on the back for "volunteering." Why don't they volunteer at Mcdonald's for eight hours and give the wages to Red Cross instead of walking around a track for eight hours? Am i really the only one that feels this way? 

No, you aren't the only one that feels this way.  There are two camps:  one group (like you) who actually does the grunt work of trying to help people; and the other second group, that only engages in fundraising (celebrities wannabe politicians, etc)

If you hate girl scout cookies you are bad and you should feel bad.

/thin mints

kamalktk said:   If you hate girl scout cookies you are bad and you should feel bad.

/thin mints

No Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cookies - Yummy!

kamalktk said:   If you hate girl scout cookies you are bad and you should feel bad.

/thin mints

I am bad.  One lady in the office that comes around EVERY cube with her daughter to sell those. 

I learned to say NO.

You're a jerk.

Whether you hate fundraisers or not is irrelevant.

But yeah, give me money is annoying. I have much much more respect for boy scouts selling popcorn and girl scouts with their cookies. We'll when the scouts sell them, not their parents.

Although I rarely eat girl scout cookies, when someone's child came into my office selling them I was happy to buy at least 10 boxes. On the day they were delivered, I could probably have sold them for 5 to 10 times what I paid to co-workers. Instead, I would take all but a couple of boxes and give them to back office employees. They always appreciated it. Although I never needed a special favor, it never hurts to show one's appreciation for people who make your job easier. I usually shared the remaining boxes with people near my office or desk.

While I wouldn't drink it, I normally stop and buy lemonade from children selling lemonade on the side of the road. In general, I try to support doing something productive.

On the other hand, I hate people who call my home or office soliciting donations for some charity that spends almost all of the money it raises on fundraising.

Mrs ganda is the troop's girl scout cookies co-coordinator this year. We have quite a few cases of cookies here right now. (Against the rules for some reason) but if anyone wants cases of cookies shipped to them let me know

$4 girls scout cookies are a bargain compared with the $20 boy scout bags of popcorn

I have a thing about inefficient Charity. Specifically food drives for the food bank drive me nuts - the food bank knows how to buy food in bulk and knows what they need. So a big pile of money is way better than a van full of cans. I guess this is why I wince when I'm given a gift that I know someone wasted too much to buy and didn't get a deal.

I'll let the kids off - Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts are ok and I buy if they make their own initiative to do the sales and the parent isn't just doing it themselves. Still I'd rather donate to the troop than send any money to some cookie/popcorn production company. Aldi's has some pretty good knock off cookies and popcorn is just popcorn in my mind.

And paid solicitation fundraising companies deserve a special place in the phone blocking world. 

My wife goes to a lot of fundraisers because of her charity work, and rich people can be incredibly out of touch.  We even met the person who dreamed up a program to help unemployed homeless people by giving them makeovers because the real reason for their dire situation is poor self-esteem.

larrymoencurly said:   My wife goes to a lot of fundraisers because of her charity work, and rich people can be incredibly out of touch.  We even met the person who dreamed up a program to help unemployed homeless people by giving them makeovers because the real reason for their dire situation is poor self-esteem.
I worked at a homeless shelter many years ago. We had a tiny storage closet where we kept a few clothes for people who were in need of something to wear. Some of our board members wanted us to get rid of the jeans and t-shirts and stock the room with women's business suits in all sizes, so the homeless ladies would have work clothes when they found jobs. Because our clients were likely to be hired as executives any day now. @@

What really needs to happen is if kids were offered an incentive to sell raffle tickets to their school project such as for every Book of 15 raffle tickets You sell you get to keep $2.00 for yourself or use it to buy $2.00 in raffle tickets for yourself. Now thats fair.

My wife did that stupid fun run and made my daughter call everybody the first year it happened. It was $1 a lap. No idea they were doing 35 fake laps (like maybe 20 yards a lap). When it came time to pay, everyone ignored the emails. That was an expensive $350 3' diameter plastic inflatable ball.

Now they are in the daisies and I use that excuse for the ladies that walk the office with the kids "my daughter is a brownie, I already gave". "Oh, why don't you bring her to sell at work?" - "That's a mommy thing"

I think a Fundraising company that gives me something for FREE is worthy, Providing I don't have to PAY for something to get it FREE.

For Instance you collect pledges for Cedar Point's Fun Run and if you get so much in pledges you will receive One (1) Free Adult Amusement Park Ticket Valued at $65.00.

Another Cedar Point deal was Coaster Campout where you receive 4 Tickets to the Amusement Park, Camping for 4 people INSIDE the park sleeping underneath Valvarn Coaster and 2 Meals for 4 Persons for $200.00, Hell the price of their hotel would cost that for one night, You get the Amusement Park Admissions & Meals for Free. You save about: $360.00, Well worth me donating for a cause and all the money goes to charity.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017