Ringling Bros. Circus to close in May

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
The Greatest Show on Earth: Now With 100% Less Show Washington Post link

I blame the animal rights activists. And people not going to the circus. And facebook.

Perhaps fatwallet ringling bros resident expert mwa423 can chime in? 

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
There will be a whole new replacement circus starting January 20th, and this one will be free to watch.

I lost track of the Finance thread of someone joining the circus. I think he wasn't still with them.

Too many Clowns and not enough Circuses as it is.

So sad to see Ringling go... end of an era!

Death to Clowns ! 🤡🚗

burgerwars said:   There will be a whole new replacement circus starting January 20th, and this one will be free to watch.

I lost track of the Finance thread of someone joining the circus. I think he wasn't still with them.

He did indeed leave (on good terms).

Dammit, now where am I supposed to go to see animals perform for my amusement under threat of being electrocuted or burned again :mad:

kamalktk said:   
burgerwars said:   There will be a whole new replacement circus starting January 20th, and this one will be free to watch.

From what I read, it definitely wasn't on good terms...

Chargum85 said:   kamalktk said:   

From what I read, it definitely wasn't on good terms...

I thought he just got tired of it?

The one in Baraboo used to exchange elephant manure for donations to the circus.

I thought THIS is the circus.

No more free poop (Bring your own shovel & container) for the gardeners to scoop up and mix in their beds. Lot's of folks loved the elephant dung, those poo-ing pachyderms eating all those peanuts made some nice fertilizer. Always had that when the circus came to town.

Reminds me of the "Peanuts for Jericho" campaign to get CBS & Nielsen to a) Make changes on how they calculate viewership, by counting online, DVR and On-Demand views in addition to the original broadcast, and get CBS to b) Give Jericho another season to close out the story-line, instead of leaving viewers frustrated with an unfinished cliff-hanger. Fans sent peanuts by the caseload to Les Moonves & Nina Tassler at CBS's NY headquarters. It even made the news - USPS, Fed-Ex & UPS, and even truck freight companies were stacking everything from large boxes to multiple pallets of roasted peanuts in the shell to the front door.

Soooooo many peanuts. At first, CBS was donating them to the Central Park Zoo, but the zoo could only use so many. Some went to food banks, but they could only take so many. Tassler & Moonves finally conceded, Jericho got another, limited, season, and CBS & Nielsen began counting online, DVR and On-Demand views, as long as they took place with a week of broadcast. Tassler actually begged viewers to please stop with the peanuts; when you had tractor trailers dumping pallets of them from the trucks, it blocked the entrance, and took up parking spaces.

Just so happened that Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus was in town, so CBS offered the peanuts to them to feed the elephants and other animals. All those big elephants could eat massive amounts of peanuts daily, and Ringling Bros got way more than they needed. Eventually, between the zoo & circus, the peanuts went to feed hungry, peanut-loving animals, and saved the zoo & circus some money to boot. When the circus ended, and cleanup began, the pachyderm poo would get piled up in a parking lot, a giant mountain of dung - and farmers, gardeners, composters, etc would be invited to help themselves. They would haul it away by the bucket/truckload,until it was all gone. NYC garden/landscape workers also used it in public gardens.

I believe NY gardeners can still get free dung from the Zoo, though. Now you know what they do with all that animal effluence left after feeding the critters, when the circus comes to town. Fertilizer anyone?

They probably paid peanuts.

They said they'd be open longer, but they were lion.

The elephants are in an elephunk over the news.

/actually they're probably already retired. The circus rolled through Cleveland recently and they were specifically advertising no more elephants and a more circ du soleil style show focused on human performers.

Its no fun being a tightrope walker, you job is always on the line.

The circus manager told the human canonball he was letting him go.
"You cant fire me!" Said the human canonball.
"That's why we're letting you go," said the manager.

Was it the smell?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017