Ding, dong, the Circus is gone

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
=18pxhttp://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/nowhere-left-to-run-away-to-the-final-days-of-the-circus/ar-AAlT5yM?li=BBnbfcN 

"On Saturday, officials of the company that owns the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus announced that it will close in May, ending a 146-year run that dates back to a time before automobiles or airplanes or movies, when Ulysses S. Grant was president and minstrel shows were popular entertainment."

Oh well MWA, it wouldn't have been a life career anyway.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Mods, okay to delete. I found original thread in off topic.

I knew it was downhill once they fired the accountant that frequents FWF.

Good. Hopefully Sea world is next.

NYC's resident circus declared bankruptcy recently also.

http://nypost.com/2017/01/15/big-apple-circus-to-sell-off-assets...

Sorry to see an event that used to be such a delightful experience for young children disappear, particularly acute in the cities where children today have so little exposure to elephants, tigers  and other circus animals.

How many jobs will be lost?  I wonder what will happen to all those circus employees -- animal tenders, animal trainers, acrobats, clowns, gymnasts,  etc.  What other jobs will their skill be transferable to in the current economy?

I can employ the Brazilian acrobats. Just send them my way.

bighitter said:   Sorry to see an event that used to be such a delightful experience for young children disappear, particularly acute in the cities where children today have so little exposure to elephants, tigers  and other circus animals.

and Freak Shows, it's so hard today to find a Freak Show where young children can laugh and scream at people with deformities.

Not sure what "circus animals" are - perhaps the humans that electrocute/burn elephants/lions/etc until they've learned to "perform" to avoid the pain? If I want to see elephants I go to a big city zoo, not the zoo in Possum Scrotum, Tennessee. Children in the Bronx and DC have ready access to elephants. 

ganda said:   
bighitter said:   Sorry to see an event that used to be such a delightful experience for young children disappear, particularly acute in the cities where children today have so little exposure to elephants, tigers  and other circus animals.

and Freak Shows, it's so hard today to find a Freak Show where young children can laugh and scream at people with deformities.

At least it paid more than selling light bulbs over the phone.

ganda said:   

Not sure what "circus animals" are - perhaps the humans that electrocute/burn elephants/lions/etc until they've learned to "perform" to avoid the pain? If I want to see elephants I go to a big city zoo, not the zoo in Possum Scrotum, Tennessee. Children in the Bronx and DC have ready access to elephants. 

Note that I didn't advocate laughing at people with deformities -- that was your (perverse ??)  analysis.  That would be abhorrent behavior and as far as I know, hasn't happened for many years in the circus environment.  If I am wrong, and  you have a source of a recent occurrence that you can cite, please do post it.

Incidentally you should read  that Ringling Bros and Barnum & Bailey have won lawsuits against animal welfare groups that falsely claimed mistreatment of animals -- $9.3 judgment against an animal welfare group is just one example of many.  See discussion here:  http://usnews.newsvine.com/_news/2012/12/28/16221308-aspca-to-pay-93-million-to-ringling-bros-circus-over-claims-about-elephants?lite= :

bighitter said:   
ganda said:   

Note that I didn't advocate laughing at people with deformities -- that was your (perverse ??)  analysis.  That would be abhorrent behavior and as far as I know, hasn't happened for many years in the circus environment.  If I am wrong, and  you have a source of a recent occurrence that you can cite, please do post it.

Incidentally you should read  that Ringling Bros and Barnum & Bailey have won lawsuits against animal welfare groups that falsely claimed mistreatment of animals -  see International Business Times ... ""For a movement buoyed by significant momentum in recent years, it’s a particularly painful blow: Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, one of its most visible targets, has been vindicated in a protracted legal skirmish with a number of animal-rights groups, including one of the largest in the country, the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS). Now the groups will have to pay a combined $15.75 million to Feld Entertainment, Ringling’s Florida-based corporate parent, in a settlement reached on Thursday in federal court."  

and this link:
-- $9.3 judgment against an animal welfare group as another example of many.  Discussion here:  http://usnews.newsvine.com/_news/2012/12/28/16221308-aspca-to-pay-93-million-to-ringling-bros-circus-over-claims-about-elephants?lite= :

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017