To Mac or not to Mac. Jr and Grand that is

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Busy upcoming week for McDonalds:
Starting this week we will have Mac Jr and Grand Mac available at McDonalds along with good old Big Mac

Link

And The Founder; movie about Ray Kroc will open in theatres staring Michael Keaton.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
I'm a big fan of the three Big Macs. Mac Jr. is perfect for training small children, who's appetites aren't yet big enough for a full grown-up Big Mac.

The Grand Mac is for when you're really hOngry. An example is when I have traveled on a deep-discount international flight for one half of a day. Nothing but crap served on board. When I get off I want some real man-food.

Try them. The grand mac is good if you've ever thought... I want to eat 1.5 big macs.

Mac Jr was a saucier version of a reimagined big mac. Try it but it belongs on the dollar+ menu.

burgerwars said:    Mac Jr. is perfect for training small children, who's appetites aren't yet big enough for a full grown-up Big Mac.
  Yep, it's never too early to put kids on a path toward obesity and heart disease.

scrouds said:   Try them. The grand mac is good if you've ever thought... I want to eat 1.5 big macs.

On the (very) rare occasion I eat lunch at McDonald's I have 2 Big Macs, but think I could manage 3.25 Big Macs - so one of each?

and a diet coke.

Creator of McDonald's Big Mac dies at 98 - Nov. 30, 2016
Disclaimer
atikovi said:   
burgerwars said:    Mac Jr. is perfect for training small children, who's appetites aren't yet big enough for a full grown-up Big Mac.
  Yep, it's never too early to put kids on a path toward obesity and heart disease.

But the inventor of the Big Mac lived to the ripe age of 98.  Maybe it's a secret ingredient that prolongs life.

ganda said:   scrouds said:   Try them. The grand mac is good if you've ever thought... I want to eat 1.5 big macs.

On the (very) rare occasion I eat lunch at McDonald's I have 2 Big Macs, but think I could manage 3.25 Big Macs - so one of each?

and a diet coke.

Don't forget fries

burgerwars said:   
atikovi said:   

But the inventor of the Big Mac lived to the ripe age of 98.  Maybe it's a secret ingredient that prolongs life.

Or maybe if he didn't eat all those Big Macs he could have lived a lot longer like this guy https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/zhou-youguang-...

atikovi said:   burgerwars said:   
atikovi said:   

Or maybe if he didn't eat all those Big Macs he could have lived a lot longer like this guy https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/zhou-youguang-...

111 Big Mac-less years of misery.

Tried the Grand today at lunch, wasn't impressed. It was too big, not enough sauce, bun was slightly overcooked, and it needs a little more cheese.

Also, for that "value" meal price, I could get a real Five Guys burger & fries cooked in front of my eyes, not patties that were cooked in the morning and kept in a yellow plastic warming drawer all day.

Same here... Not much impressed by the Grand Mac. Who will open such a big Mouth to eat it lol! There are other good options available. Apart from the Macs, I like the double cheeseburger - simply cheesy...

McD's has wrecked their lunch for me in the name of cost efficiency. Fries are still generally good, best of the 3 major chains. Burgers are kept in warming trays instead of being fresh, assembly quality of sandwiches has gone down; the grand was kind of slapped together. Yesterday I asked for Coke Zero, got root beer(yuk) instead.  And to top it off, the prices are approaching Five Guys and other places, but with warmed-over quality.

Breakfast is still their best offering, during breakfast hours, but I've tried it a lunch and they're calling it in. Hash browns seem to be stored under heat lamps, kind of soggy, not as crisp, sausage also seems to be stored in trays instead of fresh.

It's too bad, up until sometime in the '90's, the quality was consistently good. Others might have been higher sometimes, but had less consistency, especially Burger King. The Whopper sandwich can be very good, but not consistently.

eta: I'm not an expert like burgerwars, but I do follow the game as an amateur analyst.

Ray Kroc
Disclaimer
True story.  I used to go to McDonalds for breakfast every weekend with my dad when I was a kid.  They had this very plaque next to the register and I've looked at it and read it 100's of times. (though last time I saw it was probably 25 years ago).
Up until today, I thought Ray Kroc was black.  When I heard Michael Keaton was playing him, I was convinced there would be an outrage amongst black Americans. 

mapatsfan said:   McD's has wrecked their lunch for me in the name of cost efficiency. Fries are still generally good, best of the 3 major chains. Burgers are kept in warming trays instead of being fresh, assembly quality of sandwiches has gone down; the grand was kind of slapped together. Yesterday I asked for Coke Zero, got root beer(yuk) instead.  And to top it off, the prices are approaching Five Guys and other places, but with warmed-over quality.

Breakfast is still their best offering, during breakfast hours, but I've tried it a lunch and they're calling it in. Hash browns seem to be stored under heat lamps, kind of soggy, not as crisp, sausage also seems to be stored in trays instead of fresh.

It's too bad, up until sometime in the '90's, the quality was consistently good. Others might have been higher sometimes, but had less consistency, especially Burger King. The Whopper sandwich can be very good, but not consistently.

eta: I'm not an expert like burgerwars, but I do follow the game as an amateur analyst.

Wow, there is no comparison between fast food burgers and Five Guys in our area. Excellent fries at Five Guys, too. I went to In n Out last weekend and enjoyed it, but it's not extraordinary. Had a burger last night from a local halal pizza place that is astonishingly good if you like seasoned ground beef as opposed to plain beef patty with just salt. The burger is served with chopped veg (cucumbers, pickles, tomato) in a yogurt sauce and lettuce on a lightly grilled bun. Very flavorful and so messy I ate it with fork and knife because I didn't want to miss a bit of it.

kirbydog said:   Wow, there is no comparison between fast food burgers and Five Guys in our area. 

5Gs is fine but expensive. $7.69 cheeseburger, $4.19 regular fries, $2.49 drink. With tax you're looking at over $15. For a family of 4 that's $60 for just burgers. Insane. And no combo options. At McD you can get the quarter pounder combo for $6-$7, less with a coupon. And the value menu double cheese is $1.39. You could have five of those for one Five Guys burger and while 5Gs are good, they're not 5 times as good. Hardees has pretty good burgers among fast food.

atikovi said:   kirbydog said:   Wow, there is no comparison between fast food burgers and Five Guys in our area. 

5Gs is fine but expensive. $7.69 cheeseburger, $4.19 regular fries, $2.49 drink. With tax you're looking at over $15. For a family of 4 that's $60 for just burgers. Insane. And no combo options. At McD you can get the quarter pounder combo for $6-$7, less with a coupon. And the value menu double cheese is $1.39. You could have five of those for one Five Guys burger and while 5Gs are good, they're not 5 times as good. Hardees has pretty good burgers among fast food.

Skip the fries at Five Guys and just stuff yourself with the free peanuts. That should offset most of the higher price.

burgerwars said:   
atikovi said:   
kirbydog said:   Wow, there is no comparison between fast food burgers and Five Guys in our area. 

Skip the fries at Five Guys and just stuff yourself with the free peanuts. That should offset most of the higher price.

Five Guys isn't expensive.  Here, it's $5.10 for a fresh cheeseburger(all the toppings you want), fresh regular fries are $3.19(enough for 2 to split), and regular soda is $1.79(with free refills).  $16.97 for two diners, not much more than Mc'Ds warmed over mini burgers.

mapatsfan said:   
burgerwars said:   
atikovi said:   

Five Guys isn't expensive.  Here, it's $5.10 for a fresh cheeseburger(all the toppings you want), fresh regular fries are $3.19(enough for 2 to split), and regular soda is $1.79(with free refills).  $16.97 for two diners, not much more than Mc'Ds warmed over mini burgers.

Don't know where you're at, but the nearest one to me is priced as I mentioned, $15 for one person. http://gofiveguys.com/menu/bethesda-auto-park-ave  Cheeseburger+regular fries+drink+tax+no tip

One Big Burger Order.
Disclaimer
atikovi said:   
mapatsfan said:   
burgerwars said:   
atikovi said:   

Don't know where you're at, but the nearest one to me is priced as I mentioned, $15 for one person. http://gofiveguys.com/menu/bethesda-auto-park-ave  Cheeseburger+regular fries+drink+tax+no tip

In my part of the world (Northridge, CA), a cheeseburger, small fries and drink costs $14.87.  If I skip the fries and stuffed myself with free peanuts, it's $11.29.

I decided to create my dream mega-burger order.  The website lets you order up to 99 of each item.  I ordered 99 of each of their 8 burgers.  A total of 792 burgers.  If I completed my order and entered a credit card, the total with tax comes to $6,149.68. 

I guess you can thank the county's $10.75 minimum wage for the high prices around here. And it's going up to $11.50 this summer. Luckily a politician shot down a proposed $15 rate.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017