anybody hear this before?

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
As the architectural saying goes, “Anyone can design a bridge that stands. It takes an engineer to design a bridge that barely stands.”
i know a lot of architects and engineers and I've never heard anyone say this before.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
They determine the weight limit for bridges by driving heavier and heavier trucks across until the bridge collapses, then they rebuild the bridge and put up the weight limit sign.

Never heard that before

Google has, along with variations on the above, such as "Any idiot can build a bridge that stands, but it takes an engineer to build a bridge that barely stands."

And I think I may have heard this before - it certainly sound familiar...

For structures that barely(or don't even) stand, look at designs by architect Frank Lloyd Wright such as Fallingwater. On the other hand, the Brooklyn Bridge was designed by an engineer and completed in 1883.

Choo Choo Charlie
Disclaimer
Choo Choo Charlie was an engineer.... Good and Plenty Good and Plenty Good and Plenty

kamalktk said:   They determine the weight limit for bridges by driving heavier and heavier trucks across until the bridge collapses, then they rebuild the bridge and put up the weight limit sign.
...says Calvin's dad.......
http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/1986/11/26

clangle said:   kamalktk said:   They determine the weight limit for bridges by driving heavier and heavier trucks across until the bridge collapses, then they rebuild the bridge and put up the weight limit sign.
...says Calvin's dad.......
http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/1986/11/26

Finally!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017