Support Your Local Bait + Tackle and Outdoors Gear Shops

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
In addition to the usual reasons for favoring local mom-and-pop businesses and avoiding big-box stores, plus being able to consult for local knowledge, there is an added benefit to buying your fishing or outdoor gear from a local shop instead of a national chain store:  you aren't supporting an extremist propaganda machine.  Several of the regional or national chains, in particular Cabela's (which was just bought by Bass Pro Shops), are major NRA supporters.  This week in particular, Cabela's sales flyers are promoting a pro-NRA event and when I stopped in at one of their stores last week, there were posters up soliciting membership in the NRA and claiming to promote "preservation" of 2nd Amendment rights.

I personally feel Cabela's is underhanded in how they solicit customer contributions for the NRA.  At the checkout counter Cabela 's check-out people ask every customer if they would like to make a contribution "toward conservation."  They do not tell you, unless you specifically ask, that the NRA is one of those so-called "conservation" groups, and I think that is misleading as one could easily think the contributions Cabela's solicits are solely for the sake of preserving the environment and wildlife (i.e. the common meaning of the term "conservation").  Thirty-five years ago I was a member of the NRA, when the organization was primarily about promoting marksmanship and the safe enjoyment of the sport of shooting; if those goals, and a policy of integrity and candor were part of the organization in the 21st century, I'd currently be a member of the NRA, as I enjoy shooting and I support hunting when there is genuine utility in it, not just thrill-kill trophy hunting solely for the sake of juvenile macho ego inflation. However, nowadays, the NRA is the lobbying group for the firearms manufacturers who employ alarmist propaganda to try to incite paranoia among gun owners to promote gun sales - the only thing they "conserve" is the gun and ammo manufacturer's profits.  I don't know about you, but I'm not a fan of donating money to major lobbies, particularly those who try to claim to protect their so-called constituents from fictional threats and as a result, make it easier for mentally unstable individuals and criminals to buy guns, plus promote military-style weapons with no legitimate sporting purposes (if you think it's really cool and neato to make a whole lot of bangs, buy a brick of firecrackers for 4th of July and if you think you need more than a 10-round clip for hunting, what you really need is a trip to the optometrist and several trips to your local firing range with a big box of ammo and a thick stack of targets).  

Of course, if you're drinking all the Kool-Aid that the NRA is serving (and there are certainly people on this board who believe the NRA's ironically Goebbels-esque claim that they are the only thing standing between Americans' gun ownership and a Nazi Germany-style seizure of all private firearms, something as likely as the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy staging a successful coup attempt in DC this weekend), then maybe you want to buy at Cabela 's after all.   Fishing happens to be one of my favorite activities and Cabela's does have a nice selection of gear, but I've recently decided to try to support two local tackle shops, neither of which sell firearms and as far as I know, neither solicit nor make donations to firearms-oriented organizations.  For the future, I will attempt, as much as possible, not do business with Cabela's because of their NRA promotions. 

Anyway, there's some food for thought. I think there are some pro-hunting conservation groups out there that certainly do benefit the environment and wildlife that one can donate to without getting involved with a big-time lobbying group.  In contrast, the money the NRA spends in Washington has supported those behind the recent movement to demolish the EPA and eviscerate environmental protections for short-term corporate gain, something that no one who considers himself or herself a genuine outdoorsperson would like to see occur, and certainly nothing that promotes the common meaning of the term "conservation."  

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Hello. Political discussion is not allowed at FW, with the exception of the Politics Thread. I suggest you copy and paste this over there so it can be the subject of friendly discourse.

TL.DR

I repeat, the only donation that is worth doing is to my HB Fund.

OP, the title of your thread should probably more to the point. I, while not being a customer of Cabelas nor Bass Pro, will not likely encounter this particular issue, but it does seem a good point to share that their definition of conservation is different than general use. I don't think that is particularly political.

Dig your own worms! That's what we had to do back in the day. Nightcrawlers freaked me out a little and we were mildly fascinated by the wild colors of Pautzke's salmon eggs when we were kids.

lousygolfer said:   In addition to the usual reasons for favoring local mom-and-pop businesses and avoiding big-box stores, plus being able to consult for local knowledge, there is an added benefit to buying your fishing or outdoor gear from a local shop instead of a national chain store:  you aren't supporting an extremist propaganda machine.  Several of the regional or national chains, in particular Cabela's (which was just bought by Bass Pro Shops), are major NRA supporters.  This week in particular, Cabela's sales flyers are promoting a pro-NRA event and when I stopped in at one of their stores last week, there were posters up soliciting membership in the NRA and claiming to promote "preservation" of 2nd Amendment rights.

I personally feel Cabela's is underhanded in how they solicit customer contributions for the NRA.  At the checkout counter Cabela 's check-out people ask every customer if they would like to make a contribution "toward conservation."  They do not tell you, unless you specifically ask, that the NRA is one of those so-called "conservation" groups, and I think that is misleading as one could easily think the contributions Cabela's solicits are solely for the sake of preserving the environment and wildlife (i.e. the common meaning of the term "conservation").  Thirty-five years ago I was a member of the NRA, when the organization was primarily about promoting marksmanship and the safe enjoyment of the sport of shooting; if those goals, and a policy of integrity and candor were part of the organization in the 21st century, I'd currently be a member of the NRA, as I enjoy shooting and I support hunting when there is genuine utility in it, not just thrill-kill trophy hunting solely for the sake of juvenile macho ego inflation. However, nowadays, the NRA is the lobbying group for the firearms manufacturers who employ alarmist propaganda to try to incite paranoia among gun owners to promote gun sales - the only thing they "conserve" is the gun and ammo manufacturer's profits.  I don't know about you, but I'm not a fan of donating money to major lobbies, particularly those who try to claim to protect their so-called constituents from fictional threats and as a result, make it easier for mentally unstable individuals and criminals to buy guns, plus promote military-style weapons with no legitimate sporting purposes (if you think it's really cool and neato to make a whole lot of bangs, buy a brick of firecrackers for 4th of July and if you think you need more than a 10-round clip for hunting, what you really need is a trip to the optometrist and several trips to your local firing range with a big box of ammo and a thick stack of targets).  

Of course, if you're drinking all the Kool-Aid that the NRA is serving (and there are certainly people on this board who believe the NRA's ironically Goebbels-esque claim that they are the only thing standing between Americans' gun ownership and a Nazi Germany-style seizure of all private firearms, something as likely as the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy staging a successful coup attempt in DC this weekend), then maybe you want to buy at Cabela 's after all.   Fishing happens to be one of my favorite activities and Cabela's does have a nice selection of gear, but I've recently decided to try to support two local tackle shops, neither of which sell firearms and as far as I know, neither solicit nor make donations to firearms-oriented organizations.  For the future, I will attempt, as much as possible, not do business with Cabela's because of their NRA promotions. 

Anyway, there's some food for thought. I think there are some pro-hunting conservation groups out there that certainly do benefit the environment and wildlife that one can donate to without getting involved with a big-time lobbying group.  In contrast, the money the NRA spends in Washington has supported those behind the recent movement to demolish the EPA and eviscerate environmental protections for short-term corporate gain, something that no one who considers himself or herself a genuine outdoorsperson would like to see occur, and certainly nothing that promotes the common meaning of the term "conservation."  

Whew! Ready for your lollipop now?

OP built the Wall (of text)!

kamalktk said:   OP built the Wall (of text)!
  he will make you pay for it.

ZenNUTS said:   
kamalktk said:   OP built the Wall (of text)!
  he will make you pay for it.

This guy is one of Cleveland's local tv commercial lawyers, it's been his tagline forever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E3coc1jzy8

Normally, it takes a few responses that someone doesn't like before the Nazi analogies come out, but the OP appears to done it twice in the original wall of text.

This clearly belongs in Finance.

Got the Cabela's 2nd Amendment and the Bass Pro Spring Fishing Classic sale flyers in the mail last night. Some nice prices in there. As an example, Cabela's has the Ruger 9E on sale for $299, excellent value at that price. Glad that both stores are within 20 minutes of me.

To make your heart bleed: local paper today. 6 year old found mom's gun. 6 year old died after playing with it. Wish the NRA would help with preventing that.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017