Social responsibility rating for companies

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I'm interested to find out if any of you use any kind of social responsibility ratings of companies when purchasing goods/services.  For example, I will not buy any chemical products that don't specifically indicate that they are not tested on animals (the rabbit logo on bottles at the bottom/back). 
I spend a lot of money on whatever stuff, and I'd prefer that $ to go to companies that have some moral compass left.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
I can't even think of anything that I buy that would be tested on animals. Is that mostly a makeup thing?

^
You don't use soap or shampoo or shaving foam or laundry detergent? Explains a lot

China insists all cosmetics and similar products are tested on animals if they are to be sold in China. If a global brand is sold in China it was tested on animals regardless of what the bottles you or I might buy say.

edit for speeling

I'd rather they test new products on humans first, yeah, that's a much better idea.
/sarcasm off

We're not talking about life saving drugs here, we're talking lipsticks and perfumes. Within reason, I don't have much of a problem with cancer drugs being tested on animals, but I fail to see what a rabbit's eyes being clamped open and sprayed with perfume gets us as a species.

Rubl said:   I'm interested to find out if any of you use any kind of social responsibility ratings of companies when purchasing goods/services.  For example, I will not buy any chemical products that don't specifically indicate that they are not tested on animals (the rabbit logo on bottles at the bottom/back). 
I spend a lot of money on whatever stuff, and I'd prefer that $ to go to companies that have some moral compass left.

it seems moral compasses vary. define social responsibility? women on the board? buys renewable power certificates? allows employees to get contraceptives under company health plan? pays for gender reassignment surgery?
as for animal testing, if you don't test on animals, you are testing on humans. is that better? 

Eat it before it eats you. That's my rule.

Social responsibility, like not opening on Sunday and keeping the doors shut on Thanksgiving and Christmas?

Socially responsible as in giving back to communities they serve? Socially responsible concerning carbon footprint? As in hiring practices? Related to product packaging? Recycling programs? Consumer education? Local sourcing?

I only invest in Death Star contractors. They have to build a new one every few years so profits are high.

In other countries they make employers pay for a "13th" month every year in 3 payments throughout the year. This is a "social" obligatory bonus.

It's irresponsible to not test chemical products on animals.  Wen will you understand?  Honest

If you want a company with a moral compass, avoid those that brag the most about their social responsibility, as BP did before it greased up the Gulf of Mexico.  Also look for the highest percentage of production done in the US or in the developed world, even if the products are labeled as originating elsewhere, as is the case with Intel microprocessors.   < Locally sourced, too!

scrouds said:   Social responsibility, like not opening on Sunday and keeping the doors shut on Thanksgiving and Christmas?
  Denying people Chick-Fil-a on Sundays is the opposite of social responsibility.

MilleniumBuc said:   In other countries they make employers pay for a "13th" month every year in 3 payments throughout the year. This is a "social" obligatory bonus.
If it's obligatory and not performance-based(either employee or company performance), then it's not a bonus, it's simply part of one's regular pay.

MilleniumBuc said:   In other countries they make employers pay for a "13th" month every year in 3 payments throughout the year. This is a "social" obligatory bonus.
  It is perhaps an apples-to-oranges compensation comparison. Do those other countries also require workers Compensation, etc?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017