Sorry, Nobody Wants Your Parentsí Stuff: Advice for boomers desperate to unload family heirlooms

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

When Boomers Inherit Their Parents Possessions
Disclaimer

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Be kind to your folks... Wait until they're dead.

Geez.

How do we offload the boomers themselves?

eta: the most self-indulgent bunch of resource hogs since the French Revolution

True. I've been offered stuff like old furniture many times. I have enough furniture as it is. My house already looks like a furniture store. Any more, and I'll need rope and ladders to climb over the stuff to go from room to room.

I dont want most of the stuff I have. My box of cds has been sitting in the attic for a decade for instance. Too lazy to get rid of it.

Definitely try to get them to downsize in as ruthless a manner as is possible while they are able to. My mom is probably on the opposite extreme of a hoarder and has very little left to "pass along" to us. She sorted and divided up family photos 25 years ago and consistently donates unwanted items in her house to charity. My dad was a complete saver of all things and left a legacy of broken appliances and tools, car parts, etc. strewn around the garage and yard.

kamalktk said:   My box of cds has been sitting in the attic for a decade for instance. Too lazy to get rid of it.

††
I have 3000, possibly 4000 CDs, some Boxed up and some on shelves in the basement. Sure ripped versions are more convenient, but dammit they don't sound as good [/onion belt]

yup I still mostly listen to CDs
digital my hineybutt

And while I'm onion belting, music producers - stop assuming everyone is listening on a phone or iPod or tinny little speakers connected to a PC! Dynamic range is okay FFS, some of us have a real hi-fi still.

eta: since I have an 8 year daughter I know that Katy Perry stuff is well produced, Taylor Swift dynamically compressed beyond belief.

ganda said:   kamalktk said:   My box of cds has been sitting in the attic for a decade for instance. Too lazy to get rid of it.

††
I have 3000, possibly 4000 CDs, some Boxed up and some on shelves in the basement. Sure ripped versions are more convenient, but dammit they don't sound as good [/onion belt]

When you have as many belt onions as I do, the hearing tends to go and you cant tell the difference anymore.

ganda said:   
kamalktk said:   My box of cds has been sitting in the attic for a decade for instance. Too lazy to get rid of it.
††
I have 3000, possibly 4000 CDs, some Boxed†up and some on shelves in the basement. Sure ripped versions are more convenient, but dammit they don't sound as good [/onion belt]

CD's?!!? †That is for to loff.
You want to talk about music that takes up some serious square footage, how's about the thousands of ALBUMS in our spare room?

ganda said:   
††
I have 3000, possibly 4000 CDs, some Boxed†up and some on shelves in the basement. Sure ripped versions are more convenient, but dammit they don't sound as good [/onion belt]

††
That's a lot of CD's! MP3's sound crappy. My sister got rid of her stereo system & CD player, and listens to MP3's through a computer. She was telling me I should do the same, as CD's were dying. Except CD's aren't really dying, but sales of physical CD's are down - there's still plenty of folks who prefer a physical CD sound instead of those horrible MP3's with their distorted sounds. I didn't pay money for a good audio system to just throw it away and listen to MP3 files. My receiver isn't one of those newer ones that have the capability to plug in a device or memory stick into it via USB.

I'm far more interested in FLAC, as it has the quality of a CD, and prices are close to, if not the same, as an MP3. Popularity of FLAC is growing, when I can switch my CD's to FLAC, then I might consider digital. Millennials grew up in the digital era, and they may truly not be aware of how inferior an MP3 really is, until they listen to an actual CD, or a WAV file, or FLAC. Some have, and knowing what they missed, are dumping MP3's for CD's and/or FLAC. When you've been listening to inferior music all your life, you aren't missing what you've never heard. I grew up listening to hi-fidelity audio, and later Dolby noise reduction, on vinyl records, then cassettes. In spite of vinyl's pops and crackling sounds, and cassettes hissing sound, they still sounded way better than an MP3.† FLAC gives you the sound quality of vinyl without the pops and cracking, but in a digital format that never degrades.†

SweetClover said:   
ganda said:   
††

††
That's a lot of CD's! MP3's sound crappy. My sister got rid of her stereo system & CD player, and listens to MP3's through a computer. She was telling me I should do the same, as CD's were dying. Except CD's aren't really dying, but sales of physical CD's are down - there's still plenty of folks who prefer a physical CD sound instead of those horrible MP3's with their distorted sounds. I didn't pay money for a good audio system to just throw it away and listen to MP3 files. My receiver isn't one of those newer ones that have the capability to plug in a device or memory stick into it via USB.

I'm far more interested in FLAC, as it has the quality of a CD, and prices are close to, if not the same, as an MP3. Popularity of FLAC is growing, when I can switch my CD's to FLAC, then I might consider digital. Millennials grew up in the digital era, and they may truly not be aware of how inferior an MP3 really is, until they listen to an actual CD, or a WAV file, or FLAC. Some have, and knowing what they missed, are dumping MP3's for CD's and/or FLAC. When you've been listening to inferior music all your life, you aren't missing what you've never heard. I grew up listening to hi-fidelity audio, and later Dolby noise reduction, on vinyl records, then cassettes. In spite of vinyl's pops and crackling sounds, and cassettes hissing sound, they still sounded way better than an MP3.† FLAC gives you the sound quality of vinyl without the pops and cracking, but in a digital format that never degrades.†

††
I have one of these bluetooth widgets

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NCUF604/ref=od_aui_detailpa...

plugged into a vintage amp and it works very well. Streams fast enough to play FLAC files too.

Mp3 is much maligned but the quality you get is determined at rip time. I can tell the quality difference up to 192kbit, and it can go up to 320, but at that point you might as well go with a true lossless like flac.

burgerwars said:   True. I've been offered stuff like old furniture many times. I have enough furniture as it is. My house already looks like a furniture store. Any more, and I'll need rope and ladders to climb over the stuff to go from room to room.
† Hey, I'm trying to get rid of some old ropes and ladders.... need any?

ganda said:   

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NCUF604/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

plugged into a vintage amp and it works very well. Streams fast enough to play FLAC files too.

† I got an older Logitech one, this one I think

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-wireless-bluetooth-speaker-...

It just doesn't sound very good at all. †Is the Motorola much better?

ZenNUTS said:   
ganda said:   

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NCUF604/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

† I got an older Logitech†one, this one I think

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-wireless-bluetooth-speaker-...

It just doesn't sound very good at all. †Is the Motorola much better?

††
It sounds OK. I use the CD when I can. Poorly ripped files are going to sound bad regardless, FLAC files sound pretty good. I use it when I can't be bothered to go find the CD and want the album at the click of a mouse. Comfy comfy office chair...

I pay $10 a month to carry all the world's music in the cloud :-P

Google Play Music streams at 320kbps when on a good connection, so that's pretty good. For music that's not on google play music, I just upload it to my account.

Also, my mom has already given me her wedding sterling silver flatware and silverplated flatware sets. I have no use for either of them and although I really like her sterling silver pattern, it's a bit on the girly side. I offered to sell them so she could use the money towards board and care for my dad, etc. but she didn't want me to sell it. I think there are some silver trays as well. It's a sensitive issue since her and my dad's families lost almost everything when they were herded into concentration camps in WWII. Very few family heirlooms remain.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017