• filter:

need help in wiring motion sensor switch

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I have a Lutron motion sensor switch that I'm trying to replace a 3 way switch with it.
I'm not an electrician, just trying to do it myself. I was able to replace a single switch with this motion sensor, and it works great. But this 3 way switch wiring looks different.
There is an extra black wire connected to it, and also it works in combination with another switch obviously, I guess that's why it's called 3-way switch.
I have attached a diagram to explain how it is connected right now.
I would appreciate your help.
I tried different combinations but nothing worked, lucky I didn't trip the circuit.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:

rated:
You need a 3 way switch motion detector.

rated:
You can't. I don't believe there are such thing as 3-way motion switch as the LOGIC doesn't work out. Unless you have Z-wave or some kind of smart home setup it just doesn't work.

​edit: there is such a thing, it turns out, on Amazon.  It need something programmed to know Swap the action of the depending on if the light is on or not. 

rated:
I am okay keeping one of the switches always on (or off) so the other side always gets power and could be controlled by motion sensor.

rated:
Would you mind put down me as beneficiary for your life insurance?

The following is for entertainment purpose only:

A 3-way switch basically Swap the hot from one wire to another. First, figure out which wire is which per a standard 3-way switches diagram like this:

http://www.buildmyowncabin.com/electrical/3-way-switch-wiring.gi... 

Between the 2 switch, the red and black wire swaps. So your task is to disable one of these two wires by placing one of the switch to the red or black. Then you go the switch you want to replace and tie off the wire (red or black) you are not using. Bang, now you are wiring a standard on/off switch.

rated:
gangt said:   I am okay keeping one of the switches always on (or off) so the other side always gets power and could be controlled by motion sensor.
OK so do that. Just be sure to cap the common you don't use, since when the switch is set to off, it will be live.

rated:
scrouds said:   You need a 3 way

Everyone does now and then....

rated:
ZenNUTS said:   Would you mind put down me as beneficiary for your life insurance?

The following is for entertainment purpose only:

A 3-way switch basically Swap the hot from one wire to another. First, figure out which wire is which per a standard 3-way switches diagram like this:

http://www.buildmyowncabin.com/electrical/3-way-switch-wiring.gi... 

Between the 2 switch, the red and black wire swaps. So your task is to disable one of these two wires by placing one of the switch to the red or black. Then you go the switch you want to replace and tie off the wire (red or black) you are not using. Bang, now you are wiring a standard on/off switch.

Thanks to everyone, mission accomplished. The link above helped me understand how the 3-way switch wiring is done. The motion sensor switch works well.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017