• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Heading out later tonight.. in Dubai till Wednesday.. India after that.
Coming back in two weeks.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Post some pics of ridiculous wealth from Dubai! I want to see some exotic cars. Have a good trip.

rated:
Dubai is cool. Actually hot. But this time of year you'll be OK. Three years ago next month I went. You should have fun.

rated:
burgerwars said:   Dubai is cool. Actually hot. But this time of year you'll be OK. Three years ago next month I went. You should have fun.Checked the temperatures.. between 70-80 for high.. 60-65 for low.

Much better than where we're going in India.. 85-98 for high.. 60-70 at night for the 10 days we'll be there.

rated:
India's a big place, are you going to all of it?

rated:
be careful, they might not let you back in.

rated:
Have fun!

rated:
miserly said:   be careful, they might not let you back in.<stomps foot>
I'm a US Citizen damnit!

rated:
KayK said:   
burgerwars said:   Dubai is cool. Actually hot. But this time of year you'll be OK. Three years ago next month I went. You should have fun.
Checked the temperatures.. between 70-80 for high.. 60-65 for low.

Much better than where we're going in India.. 85-98 for high.. 60-70 at night for the 10 days we'll be there.

Those were about the same temperatures when I went in March.  Maybe a tad higher.  I don't do well in hot weather.  When I was in Shanghai last October, it wasn't hot but the humidity started to get to me.

To go to the top of the Burj Khalifa, I suggest buying your ticket online now, if you haven't already, as they sell out.  The Dubai Mall is big.  You can get there, and to the Burj Khalifa, by their rail/subway system, then there's a long enclosed moving walkway to finally get to the entrance.  I ate at McDonald's and Tim Horton's in the mall.  Seeing the fountain show at night outside the mall you'll probably want to see.  There's another mall further down (also reachable by the metro) called Emirates Mall.  That's where there's a big indoor snow skiing attraction.

While there I also went to Abu Dhabi and took a desert experience tour.  The driver/tour guide of the desert experience tour drove like a maniac.  I thought he was trying to kill all of us.  I didn't drive myself, but they do drive aggressively, so watch out if you do.

rated:
KayK said:   miserly said:   be careful, they might not let you back in.<stomps foot>
I'm a US Citizen damnit!

They'll take a picture of you with a planted "terrorist" and claim you are conspiring with isis. End of kaykay.

rated:
MilleniumBuc said:   KayK said:   miserly said:   be careful, they might not let you back in.<stomps foot>
I'm a US Citizen damnit!

They'll take a picture of you with a planted "terrorist" and claim you are conspiring with isis. End of kaykay.

I am Groot?

/ plant terrorist

rated:
Do they call it Indian food in India? Or just food?

rated:
KayK said:   
miserly said:   be careful, they might not let you back in.
<stomps foot>
I'm a US Citizen damnit!

That might not matter much as we get further down The List. Don't be gone too long.

rated:
KayK said:   
<stomps foot>
I'm a US Citizen damnit!

Just come back wearing a "Make America Great Again Hat" and you will be fine.

Please don't ban me

rated:
KayK said:   
<stomps foot>
I'm a US Citizen damnit!

rated:
You might have to catch a flight back to mexico and sneak through the desert. The wall isn't up yet, you should be fine.

rated:
Yep. Even in the news today, Mohammed Ali Jr was stopped for two hours returning from Jamaica and main question was about his name and being Muslim. And he was born here and his parents were born here too.

You might not have any chance in returning. But we will do an online fundraiser if need be.

rated:
You might find someone else sitting at your desk when you get back. You will become an instant Trump supporter then.

rated:
kamalktk said:   
KayK said:   
<stomps foot>
I'm a US Citizen damnit!

I had that happen to me (without them actually holding a color card) at the pedestrian border crossing in El Paso. Immigration was sorting out the flow of people on the bridge into "white" and "other". I walked back in without even
being asked for my papers, mein gott 

rated:
What is your itinerary? Have a great time.

rated:
Dubai is at this time of year is actually very pleasant. I don't know where you are staying but last time I stayed in the old Dubai near Dubai Creek and I really liked it. I have been to Dubai/UAE number of times in the past few years and I love the Old Dubai part. If you like the ritzy, glamorous and won't be able to buy anything MALLS, stay close to Burj Khalifa. As for going up to the top of Burj, get the ticket online as someone suggested earlier. Also Jumeirah is nice little area for a day trip/shopping(window). The thing I like about staying in old Dubai (as a tourist), I can literally walk to the old Bazars (called Souks) and enjoy all the hustle and bustle. Being pretty close to creek also allows me to take a stroll in the evening while sipping a tasty indian chai (tea) plus food is pretty cheap and actually tasty too. I also did a day trip to Abu Dhabi to see the emirate palace (actually wife wanted to sip the shitty gold crusted cappuccino) (https://www.kempinski.com/en/abudhabi/emirates-palace/dining/culinary-highlights/palace-cappuccino/) and I was stuck paying the ridiculous bill for the whole afternoon tea crap. 

Enjoy your trip.

rated:
KayK said:   
<stomps foot>
I'm a US Citizen damnit!

that may be. but you're assuming facts matter. these days, they just get in the way.

rated:
Shop owner in one of the local stores here told me she is from Delhi and that India Air is now flying nonstop from SFO. That is one longass flight. She told me that she never fails to be ill from whatever she eats there and in the same conversation encouraged me to visit there. hmm, not tops on my list.

rated:
kirbydog said:   Shop owner in one of the local stores here told me she is from Delhi and that India Air is now flying nonstop from SFO. That is one longass flight. She told me that she never fails to be ill from whatever she eats there and in the same conversation encouraged me to visit there. hmm, not tops on my list.
15 hrs or so. I think the Emirates flight to dubai is longer.

rated:
I've done 12+ hour flights before. Blech, unless maybe in on of those Emirates planes that have little rooms for the really rich to travel. 15 hours would be torture, better than being stuck on layover for hours maybe.

rated:
Emirates business class used to include car service from home to airport. When I worked for crazy boss he insisted on Emirates. It's a great ego-stroke that he needed more than all the rest he was already seeking. 

rated:
Drink the water

rated:
Drink Thums Up, that was pretty good stuff.

And have tea at the tea plantations in Ooty. Amazingly delicious.

rated:
Landed last night 9:30.. taxied for like 30+ minutes
Home at 12:15.. alarm went off at 5:35.. now at work.

Pics coming soon.. after i get some time.

rated:
KayK said:   Landed last night 9:30.. taxied for like 30+ minutes

30+ minutes taxiing is for Homeland to study behavioral patterns on the subjects.

rated:
MilleniumBuc said:   KayK said:   Landed last night 9:30.. taxied for like 30+ minutes

30+ minutes taxiing is for Homeland to study behavioral patterns on the subjects.
You're probably right lol.
Flight was from Dubai.. and just spot checking at customs lines.. it was about 90% not US Citizens. (About 60% Indians though)
Took about 3-4 minutes per family to take fingerprints and photos, etc. For us it was just "Where did you go?", "What was the purpose of your visit?". "Welcome back."

rated:
KayK said:   MilleniumBuc said:   KayK said:   Landed last night 9:30.. taxied for like 30+ minutes

Flight was from Dubai.. and just spot checking at customs lines.. it was about 90% not US Citizens. (About 60% Indians though)
Took about 3-4 minutes per family to take fingerprints and photos, etc. For us it was just "Where did you go?", "What was the purpose of your visit?". "Welcome back."

Do they do precelearance from dubai?

rated:
scrouds said:   KayK said:   MilleniumBuc said:   KayK said:   Landed last night 9:30.. taxied for like 30+ minutes

Do they do precelearance from dubai?
Nope. Just checked passport visually whether we would be allowed in US (US visa or US passport)
No taking off shoes.. nothing. I guess there might be some agreement between US and UAE.. since you don't even need a visa to visit Dubai (visa on arrival for up to 30 days)

rated:
scrouds said:   Do they do precelearance from dubai?They have pre-clearance from Abu Dhabi, but not Dubai (currently being planned).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_border_preclearance

Pre-clearance was great from Shannon. No wait at the pre-clearance area. Arrived at a domestic US gate and were on our way. Hopefully it is just as smooth from Dublin.

rated:
Stop designing your business card and make with the pics!

rated:
Kandykornhead said:   Stop designing your business card and make with the pics!
Patience grasshopper!
Need to select the best ones and edit them.
Most likely this weekend.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017