• filter:

Website address on tombstones, good idea or not?

  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
 All the tombstones in a cemetery have the person's name, dob, dod, maybe a favorite line and an organizational symbol. Nothing that would tell you about the person's life. Why not have a website address on the stone like, johnsmith.com, or for John Smith it would probably have to be something like johnsmith8285771.com. It would contain photos and more details about that person's life and accomplishments as well as links to living relatives. The websites could be maintained in perpetuity for a small annual fee by relatives or a larger one-time fee. Seems like a money making opportunity?

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
HTTP 404 Heaven Not Found

rated:
Clearly, you need to chisel a 2d bar code into the stone so you can snap it with your cellphone.

rated:
soundtechie said:   Clearly, you need to chisel a 2d bar code into the stone so you can snap it with your cellphone.
I was thinking 2d Barcode as well

rated:
Like literally a grave site?

Oh I kill me

rated:
ganda said:   HTTP 404 Heaven Not Found

Yep. Once you're dead, you'll need to rely on the undead to keep paying domain and web hosting fees. Not likely to happen for very long.

rated:
burgerwars said:   
ganda said:   HTTP 404 Heaven Not Found

Yep. Once your dead, you'll need to rely on the undead to keep paying domain and web hosting fees. Not likely to happen for very long.

  When you buy a grave, plot, burial, whatever they call it, that cost includes perpetual care of said lot. Part of the money goes into some dividend or interest paying instrument, of which the dividends are used for maintenance forever, theoretically. Envision the same for maintaining a personal website.

rated:
How much hanging out do you do in a cemetery to want to look up the lives of the dead?

rated:
Not much, but some people may want to check the neighbours before buying a lot.

rated:
atikovi said:   Not much, but some people may want to check the neighbours before buying a lot.
  I'm not sure about that, but I have no doubt there are a fair number of people narcissistic enough to allow you to cash in on your new business venture

rated:
Sounds like an idea bound for technological obsolescence next to 8-track tapes and Sony Disc-man. Stuff is changing so fast, most people wouldn't waste money on that. Markers are relatively permanent, have changed in hundreds of years. What's the longest practical lifespan of a browser, 10 years at the most. In 25 years the information on these markers will be unreadable.

rated:
mapatsfan said:   Sounds like an idea bound for technological obsolescence next to 8-track tapes and Sony Disc-man. Stuff is changing so fast, most people wouldn't waste money on that. 
  You're comparing the media to the message. 8-tracks and the Discman maybe obsolete but the music isn't.

rated:

rated:
Kandykornhead said:   With a gravestone barcode, tommorow never dies.
  That works too.

rated:
atikovi said:   
mapatsfan said:   Sounds like an idea bound for technological obsolescence next to 8-track tapes and Sony Disc-man. Stuff is changing so fast, most people wouldn't waste money on that. 
  You're comparing the media to the message. 8-tracks and the Discman maybe obsolete but the music isn't.

  Yes, I am, and you're missing the message.  The tombstone message will be unreadable in 20 years because of the media.  Kind of like putting a gold record album on Voyager, would be virtually unreadable if it ever could make its way back here.

rated:
I suppose it would better to have the mouthbreathers hack the gravewiki rather than kick over headstones

rated:
mapatsfan said:   
atikovi said:   
mapatsfan said:   Sounds like an idea bound for technological obsolescence next to 8-track tapes and Sony Disc-man. Stuff is changing so fast, most people wouldn't waste money on that. 
  You're comparing the media to the message. 8-tracks and the Discman maybe obsolete but the music isn't.

  Yes, I am, and you're missing the message.  The tombstone message will be unreadable in 20 years because of the media.  Kind of like putting a gold record album on Voyager, would be virtually unreadable if it ever could make its way back here.

  There is a false assumption that cemeteries will continue to be used.

rated:
Because nobody will die?

rated:
With a website address on my tombstone, I could continue to post updates about how life is after death! They do have wifi in the after life, right?

rated:
atikovi said:   Because nobody will die?
Because zombies.

rated:
atikovi said:   Not much, but some people may want to check the neighbours before buying a lot.
My friend's mom went to the cemetery to visit her husband's grave. While there she noticed that in the plot next to his there was a husband buried with a placeholder for the wife. So she looked up the wife in the phonebook and called her. "Since our husbands are dead and we're going to be neighbors how we get to know each other." That was the beginning of a wonderful friendship. They literally traveled the world together.

rated:
george2001 said:   With a website address on my tombstone, I could continue to post updates about how life is after death! They do have wifi in the after life, right?
  
WiFi Hot spots where you be heading

rated:
You can sell anything to a grieving family.

rated:
Kandykornhead said:   With a gravestone barcode, tommorow never dies.

SUBSCRIBER ARTICLE
With A Gravestone Barcode, Tomorrow Never Dies
By Quentin Fottrell

TO CONTINUE READING…

Log In
OR
Subscribe Now
🙁

rated:
MilleniumBuc said:   You can sell anything to a grieving family.
  And probably pays more than a cell phone store sales job. 

rated:
Quick, set up the .ded TLD then profit

rated:
MommyOfHAndK said:   
Kandykornhead said:   With a gravestone barcode, tommorow never dies.

SUBSCRIBER ARTICLE
With A Gravestone Barcode, Tomorrow Never Dies
By Quentin Fottrell

TO CONTINUE READING…

Log In
OR
Subscribe Now
🙁

  Sorry bout that, I'm not a subscriber and it worked for me.

rated:
burgerwars said:   
ganda said:   HTTP 404 Heaven Not Found

Yep. Once your dead, you'll need to rely on the undead to keep paying domain and web hosting fees. Not likely to happen for very long.

  
It will all be hosted at godeaddy.com

rated:
OP, not to rain on your parade, but I don't know any people who go into cemeteries to peruse the headstones at random. They go, visit the one or two they need to, and then get the hell out of there post haste.
The people who go to visit the grave presumably already knew the person, so why would they need a website explaining who they were?

rated:
^regardless of OP's idea, there are groups and individuals who "peruse" cemetaries-geneology groups (I was part of one in school) tourists also go into cemetaries and history buggs just off the top of my head.
There is an old cemetary in a town I lived in that was just glorious in fall. It was on an overlook by a lake and with the fall leaves and old tombstones and wind and sun shining through the trees it was a spectacular sight. I went there with someone doing a photo project (I would've never thought to go there myself) but once there, i saw the beauty and also became intrigued by the information on the stones as well. Modern manicured cemetaries are less interesting to me, yet I think it a tribute to life and lives lived to read and observe the details of those at rest.

How much would it cost to create and maintain a national tombstone database? Everyone would be alotted X amount of space for personal details -date of birth and death -one memorial sentence (beloved mother, father, sister, wife, etc." -obit paragraph or two -one photo

rated:
One could have a free and premium option.

rated:
sublimosa said:   ^regardless of OP's idea, there are groups and individuals who "peruse" cemetaries-geneology groups
Yeah, weird people!

sublimosa said:
I was part of one in school)


  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017