• filter:

is an Iphone a luxury good?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/7/14841230/jason-chaffetz-iphone-...

let's not get into the healthcare debate, where this comment comes from. but the idea that an iphone is not a luxury good; where I think of any item i can do without or do with something cheaper. so in the case of an iphone, i can make calls and do all those things with $200 moto g4 instead of a $700 iphone. same logic with a $22K Honda Accord vs/ $85K Mercedes. I think it is a silly to argues that an iphone is a necessity.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Before [mod] I was paying a new, latest iPhone every 2 weeks for coverage, and I had a choice of exactly one carrier. The [mod] introduced some competition and I was suddenly just buying a new iPhone every month. I got the same reception. Yay!

I have whatever phone is provided free with the service contract. I do know my phone is so basic I can't play Pokemon Go on it. I spend the savings on more important things (like health insurance).

rated:
miserly said:   http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/7/14841230/jason-chaffetz-iphone-...

let's not get into the healthcare debate, where this comment comes from. but the idea that an iphone is not a luxury good; where I think of any item i can do without or do with something cheaper. so in the case of an iphone, i can make calls and do all those things with $200 moto g4 instead of a $700 iphone. same logic with a $22K Honda Accord vs/ $85K Mercedes. I think it is a silly to argues that an iphone is a necessity.

22k Honda Accord? That's luxury compared to my Yugo held together with bondo!

/ one day i hope to trade up to a Crown Vic

rated:
I just take the iPhone from the neighborhood kids.

rated:
There are some good new Android phones on the prepaid market for less than $100. They can be used in postpaid plans. Just Swap the SIM.

Comparing a $100 annual phone purchase to $10,000 in medical insurance costs is far off the point. Cellphones have become necessities. Smartphones are just about required in our society. People are dropping landlines. Payphones don't exist, and so on.

rated:
Yes, a smartphone is a luxury.

rated:
mapatsfan said:   Yes, a smartphone is a luxury.
No, it's not. A smartphone is cheaper than a landline, a computer, and internet for that computer. And the modern world pretty much requires internet. The savings from shopping online over having to buy everything locally make the cost of not having internet even greater. (And that's before fw cashback )

rated:
burgerwars said:   Comparing a $100 annual phone purchase to $10,000 in medical insurance costs is far off the point. 
The most disturbing part IMO is that politicians are that far out of touch with their constituents. They have excellent FREE health insurance, provided by us taxpayers, and probably use free taxpayer paid smartphones  too, so they're clueless about the real costs of these things.

Stop buying that overpriced vending machine soda at work, you losers, and you can easily pay for all your medical bills and buy TWO iphones.

rated:
burgerwars said:   There are some good new Android phones on the prepaid market for less than $100. They can be used in postpaid plans. Just Swap the SIM.

Comparing a $100 annual phone purchase to $10,000 in medical insurance costs is far off the point. Cellphones have become necessities. Smartphones are just about required in our society. People are dropping landlines. Payphones don't exist, and so on.

again, let's not go down the road of talking about healthcare and the ACA etc. 
as you noted, one can get a good, new android phone for less than $100. and if one chooses to spend a lot more than that, is that a luxury? I agree that smart phones are virtually a necessity. Spending more on it than absolutely needed isn't. And that's the basis of the idea that an iphone is a luxury if you can do the same things needed for a lot less.
if one argues that something is necessary, then does one have a right to it? i think we go down a slippery entitlement slope.
i NEED clean air to breathe. it is necessary. i have the right to it and others cannot take it away from me. i don't see that with smart phones...

rated:
kamalktk said:   
No, it's not. A smartphone is cheaper than a landline, a computer, and internet for that computer. And the modern world pretty much requires internet. The savings from shopping online over having to buy everything locally make the cost of not having internet even greater. (And that's before fw cashback )

Watching poon on the small screen will blind you!  Have you no mercy?!

rated:
Any phone over $50 is a luxury. Buying a new oneplus one for me was s luxury, but a phone and basic service, not really a luxury.

rated:
kamalktk said:   

So we're supposed to give these things out for free now?  If so, iPhone 7+s for everyone, cost be damned!  Next up, large flat screen TV's are now necessities.  

Landline is good enough.  TV's, cell phones, computers, internet are luxuries.  If you want that stuff, pay for it yourself.  And buying locally would be better for everyone, shopping online kills jobs.

rated:
Someone else made a similar argument in 2014. “I guess what I would say is if you looked at that person’s budget and you looked at their cable bill, their telephone … cell phone bill, other things that they’re spending on, it may turn out that they just haven’t prioritized health care because right now everybody is healthy."

If buying a new iPhone instead of a lower priced alternative means not buying something more essential, then it is a luxury. As long as others aren't subsidizing their lifestyle, although I might make a different decision, I rarely judge how others spend their money.  

If I the rest of the family didn't text so often, I would still be using my $10 per year prepaid plan. I have a grandfathered T-Mobile plan with 5 lines each with 5GB of data for about $125 including taxes and fees. T-Mobile briefly offered a trade up from an iPhone 6 to an iPhone 7 with no change in contract, so I bought a used 6 and traded it for a 7 series.

rated:
mapatsfan said:   
kamalktk said:   

So we're supposed to give these things out for free now?  If so, iPhone 7+s for everyone, cost be damned!  Next up, large flat screen TV's are now necessities.  

Landline is good enough.  TV's, cell phones, computers, internet are luxuries.  If you want that stuff, pay for it yourself.  And buying locally would be better for everyone, shopping online kills jobs.

Landlines are luxuries. You can just send letters and get letters. Please explain how landlines are not luxuries.

rated:
It pains me to agree with kamalktk, but a cellphone with a data plan is a much better use of money than a unitasking landline. I doesn't need to be a fancy phone (that would be where luxury comes in).

rated:
kamalktk said:   
mapatsfan said:   
kamalktk said:   

Landlines are luxuries. You can just send letters and get letters. Please explain how landlines are not luxuries.

Letters are luxuries! You think you're too good for smoke signals?

rated:
Land line and a notepad & pencil is a lot cheaper. Data is a luxury, texting and surfing the web are not rights.

We certainly don't need to subsidize cell phones. If you want to go that far, then you have to give everyone in the country an iPhone 7s+ and be done with it, otherwise it's a 14th Amendment violation.

rated:
mapatsfan said:   Land line and a notepad & pencil is a lot cheaper. Data is a luxury, texting and surfing the web are not rights.

I already work 3 menial jobs (cow milking at 5AM, fruit picking until dark, public restroom cleaning until midnight). I am never where this supposed landline is! How am I supposed to be notified about the overflowing cesspools you want me to wade in if my phone is never with me?

rated:
ganda said:   
mapatsfan said:   Land line and a notepad & pencil is a lot cheaper. Data is a luxury, texting and surfing the web are not rights.

I already work 3 menial jobs (cow milking at 5AM, fruit picking until dark, public restroom cleaning until midnight). I am never where this supposed landline is! How am I supposed to be notified about the overflowing cesspools you want me to wade in if my phone is never with me?

My goodness, how ever did all this work get done before everyone was convinced they needed to purchase the latest iToy every September?

Now people think these devices are a Constitutional right that I have to subsidize for them.  Nope.

rated:

We certainly don't need to subsidize cell phones. If you want to go that far, then you have to give everyone in the country an iPhone 7s+ and be done with it, otherwise it's a 14th Amendment violation.

It's actually cheaper to use smartphones, otherwise why would africa have skipped landlines and gone straight to mobile phones? There's much lower infrastructure cost for mobile.

On the light rail near me, i see ads on the trains for $30/month unlimited data/text/minutes for smartphones.

rated:
moonbeam said:   kamalktk said:   
mapatsfan said:   
kamalktk said:   

Letters are luxuries! You think you're too good for smoke signals?

You have fire for smoke signal? Luxury! Kamal must walk to next valley to pass message!

rated:
kamalktk said:   

It's actually cheaper to use smartphones, otherwise why would africa have skipped landlines and gone straight to mobile phones? There's much lower infrastructure cost for mobile.

On the light rail near me, i see ads on the trains for $30/month unlimited data/text/minutes for smartphones.

Doesn't change the fact that cell phones are still luxury goods, not a necessity, not a right.  

Same for giant flatscreen TVs, game consoles, laptop computers, filet mignon, Keno, cable service, Netflix, Krispy Kreme, internet service, Spotify, DVR, hookers, Air Jordans, lap dances, Oakleys, Starbucks, naming a star, Dunkins, booze, drugs, WWE pay-per-view, cigarettes, etc.  

rated:
iPhone is MORE than a luxury good. Apple is selling an idea.

Check out this video. https://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action

And you can read more from his book. It's a very good read. https://www.amazon.com/Start-Why-Leaders-Inspire-Everyone/dp/1591846447

rated:
mapatsfan said:   
kamalktk said:   

Doesn't change the fact that cell phones are still luxury goods, not a necessity, not a right.  

Same for giant flatscreen TVs, game consoles, laptop computers, filet mignon, Keno, cable service, Netflix, Krispy Kreme, internet service, Spotify, DVR, hookers, Air Jordans, lap dances, Oakleys, Starbucks, naming a star, Dunkins, booze, drugs, WWE pay-per-view, cigarettes, etc.  

iPhones and higher-end smartphones are luxury goods.

Some kind of basic cell phone, though, is a practical necessity.
Since internet access and email are also modern necessities (if you want to actively participate in society and have reasonable employment prospects), then a low-end smartphone may also be a practical necessity for a lot of people.

(i.e. a cheap smartphone and an inexpensive data plan are generally cheaper than a landline or hard-line internet, if you're just talking about low-volume use of basic services)

Reliable access to email, the ability to create and distribute your resume digitally, the ability to conduct financial matters online, etc, are necessary, if you want to have any real career prospects.

That is a far cry from the long list of things you include in your rant, and your post makes you look really out of touch with reality.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017