to stop a thief

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
we have had a rash of lunches stolen from the office refrigerators. we have about 200 people and 2 large refrigerators. i never put anything in them but i'm seriously tired of the emails announcing each of these capers.
2 ideas i had was 1. webcam of some sort to record the coming and goings at the refrigerators and get video proof. 2. exploding blue dye like for bank robbers. according to advice on the web, laxative or pepper laden food are verboten and may land the trapper in trouble. I don't see how I'm violating the thief's rights if he/she is the one stealing my clearly labeled food but that's a different thread.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Put out donuts.
Wait for donuts to be stolen.
Report stolen donuts to police.
Guaranteed to get the police to show up.

Webcam in the office will be hard to miss.

If it's me, I would build a simple battery powered buzzer with a normally-open-held-closed switch and put it in one of those takeout box then listen for the hilarity.

ETA: or just put old smart phone in there loaded with motion triggered video motoring.  You can then speak with the perb directly when s/he open your lunch box.  A "Ring" doorbell would work fine too.

We had this happening in our office. Turned out the culprit was a stoner. He'd go outside for a toke then get the munchies and raid the fridge.
I'd look for the guy with red eyes.
Also, with more legalization, I'd get used to it.

I prefer more passive aggressive methods.

Bring some. Donuts on, put a sign up saying "free to everyone except the asshole stealing people's food"

Situate a cam in a hidden location. Place 1-2 marked bait meals in the fridge. Look in the office/desk side trash bins just after lunch, maybe the thief is too lazy to dispose of the evidence.

Once found out they should be shown the evidence, water boarded, and then fired; if that's not allowed in your locality, just fire them.

miserly said:    according to advice on the web, laxative or pepper laden food are verboten and may land the trapper in trouble. I don't see how I'm violating the thief's rights if he/she is the one stealing my clearly labeled food but that's a different thread.

That would be like a burglar suing me because they cut themselves on the window they smashed.

Is there a pattern to the food stolen? Always soup or cake?

Nothing wrong with you loading up your own personal lunchtime soup with laxatives so you're ready for you colonoscopy that evening.

ZenNUTS's idea of an alarmed box is good and would be easy to rig up. Make it loud. Have a webcam in the room. Sell video. Profit.

We had this happen and it was one of our supervisors. We found out when he bit into the sandwich with dog poo (smell well hidden).
We haven't heard so many curse words since then. And our lunches have been untouched.

You better get armed and claim your "stand your ground (beef)" law.

miserly said:    these capers.
They stole the capers? How will we ever garnish?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017