anybody send a girl to girls who code?

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
it's available near us and am considering for a high schooler. sounds like a cool program. 7 weeks during the summer 9AM-4PM, learn coding and get exposed to tech workplace.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Never heard of it, but any means to get girls into technology is a good idea.

My daughter is an engineering major and STEM ambassador with her university. Her group goes to local schools on weekends and facilitate learning sessions to get kids into the field. She got interested by doing a month long technology internship I found at her high school the summer before senior year.

A lot of those "boot camps" are waste of money, selling to eager parents who have dreams of having their kids going to work for the next Google. Having said that, if the price is reasonable, it beats having them doing nothing.

ZenNUTS said:   A lot of those "boot camps" are waste of money, selling to eager parents who have dreams of having their kids going to work for the next Google. Having said that, if the price is reasonable, it beats having them doing nothing.
 it's free.

Well, sign me up too.

ZenNUTS said:   Well, sign me up too.
ChrisHansenHaveASeatOverThere.jpg

What do you mean "learn coding?"

How can girls learn coding in such a short interval of time? What is te course name and for how long will it last?

It's where you learn to build games where you throw tampons at people.

scrouds said:   It's where you learn to build games where you throw tampons at people.
  Do women still use tampons? I mean, I haven't seen a TV ad for tampons in over a decade.

sherrielarrison said:   How can girls learn coding in such a short interval of time? What is te course name and for how long will it last?
  7 weeks, from 9-4 each day, is quite a bit of time to introduce somebody to the subject.

I looked at their website, and while the site is mostly marketing fluff, it could be a very good program. I assume your kid is interested in development?

If so I don't see any reason why you wouldn't try to get her in. If she hasn't done much stuff with development of different sorts, at the minimum she will find out if it's something she wants to pursue as a career or rather find out its not her cup of tea.

I honestly see no downside. If she has the passion for it, it would be amazing to get her into it.

atikovi said:   
scrouds said:   It's where you learn to build games where you throw tampons at people.
  Do women still use tampons? I mean, I haven't seen a TV ad for tampons in over a decade.

Tune to any of the 4 major broadcast networks between 5 and 7pm and you'll see one every day, along with ads for female digestive yogurt and various legal prescription substitutions for ground rhino horn supplements.

There are also visual interfaces that can teach coding logic without needing to know the underlying code. The Flip project for Neverwinter Nights is specifically designed to teach kids how to code, it was developed by a canadian university. The idea is that teaching withing the confines of making your own game incentivises kids. With Flip the kids dont need to know the details of the language, they learn the logic involved in making something happen on screen when they want it to.

/ i write code for neverwinter nights.

I never got to take part in a coding program, but I did take summer classes to learn computer skills and critical thinking (the closest thing we had to STEM) and it was the best decision my parents ever made for me. My sisters are in middle school and in extracurricular coding programs and not only has it boosted their self esteem, but they're learning skills and making friends / mentors that they wouldn't have met otherwise. The Internet is my job and they teach me new things with what they learn in those classes. Can't recommend programs like that highly enough.

she's going to Twitter! that'll keep her from roaming the streets during the summer and stay out of trouble. it's a nice benefit to the Sky high housing price we pay around here.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017