• filter:

Get jail sentence in LA ? Pay for upgrade to deluxe room

  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Instead, Wurtzel found a better option: For $100 a night, he was permitted by the court to avoid county jail entirely. He did his time in Seal Beach’s small city jail, with amenities that included flat-screen TVs, a computer room and new beds. He served six months, at a cost of $18,250, according to jail records.

...

Prices vary widely, with each city setting its own rate. Defendants can get a bargain-basement bed at La Verne for $25 a night or pay a modest $75 a night in Hawthorne. Or they can splurge, paying $198 a night in Redondo Beach or $251 a night in Hermosa Beach. 

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-pay-to-stay-jails/#nt=oft1... 

Too many people in the main jail
Brutality and overcrowding have long plagued the Los Angeles and Orange County jail systems. They are the only adult jails in California currently under Justice Department scrutiny over concerns such as unsafe prisoner conditions, and similar allegations have been made by civil rights attorneys dating back to the 1970s.
You can even transfer your points, er, sentence from out of state!
Nearly every pay-to-stay program welcomes people whose crimes have taken place across county or even state lines. In Southern California, city jails have housed more than 200 people who broke the law in Arizona, for instance, and have also accepted clients with arrests as far away as Iowa, Washington, Minnesota and Montana, a review of the data shows.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
I'll take this option :

"Monterey Park even offers the option of serving time in half-day increments, for $51. “We just basically let them book their time,” said D.J. Casey, the lead records clerk for Monterey Park’s police department. “Sometimes they call and cancel and say, ‘My kid’s sick.’”


My kid is sick a lot.

rated:
Do stays earn points?

rated:
Can I use debit cards?

rated:
the Almighty Dollar corrupts all...

rated:
What a bunch of crap, flat screen tv's, half days, pay for upgrades? Where's the disincentive to commit crime if the punishment is plush?

Chicago's police chief has offered that as a reason for their record homicide rate in spite of the toughest gun laws in the country; criminals don't fear prosecution and punishment there anymore.

rated:
jerosen said:   I'll take this option :

"Monterey Park even offers the option of serving time in half-day increments, for $51. “We just basically let them book their time,” said D.J. Casey, the lead records clerk for Monterey Park’s police department. “Sometimes they call and cancel and say, ‘My kid’s sick.’”

My kid is sick a lot.
You have to serve your time within some period as ordered by the judge.

I didn't know one could serve jail time part-time. Sounds less punishing than community service.

rated:
mapatsfan said:   What a bunch of crap, flat screen tv's, half days, pay for upgrades? Where's the disincentive to commit crime if the punishment is plush?

Chicago's police chief has offered that as a reason for their record homicide rate in spite of the toughest gun laws in the country; criminals don't fear prosecution and punishment there anymore.

  Well you do have to pay for it.

rated:
I'm guessing this option is for people convicted of minor non-violent crimes. I doubt killers are goinv to get half days.

It almost sounds like they are trying something like the prison model of the northern european prisons. Recidivism is low there.

rated:
Health care is included during your stay. Might be a cheaper option for many going forward.

rated:
kamalktk said:   I'm guessing this option is for people convicted of minor non-violent crimes. I doubt killers are goinv to get half days.

It almost sounds like they are trying something like the prison model of the northern european prisons. Recidivism is low there.


The article points out a small percentage of the people allowed to do it are felony violent / sex crimes.

rated:
mapatsfan said:   What a bunch of crap, flat screen tv's, half days, pay for upgrades? Where's the disincentive to commit crime if the punishment is plush?

Chicago's police chief has offered that as a reason for their record homicide rate in spite of the toughest gun laws in the country; criminals don't fear prosecution and punishment there anymore.

  Nearly 80% of participants are traffic offenders.  Those are basic crimes, deserving basic punishment.  Mr. DUI doesn't need to be sharing a county dorm with 15 members of Grape Street Watts Crips.

The other 20% of participants (apparently) had cases that DA's thoughts they might lose at trial.  "Plush" punishment is better than no punishment, right?

rated:
museki said:   
mapatsfan said:   What a bunch of crap, flat screen tv's, half days, pay for upgrades? Where's the disincentive to commit crime if the punishment is plush?

Chicago's police chief has offered that as a reason for their record homicide rate in spite of the toughest gun laws in the country; criminals don't fear prosecution and punishment there anymore.

  Nearly 80% of participants are traffic offenders.  Those are basic crimes, deserving basic punishment.  Mr. DUI doesn't need to be sharing a county dorm with 15 members of Grape Street Watts Crips.

The other 20% of participants (apparently) had cases that DA's thoughts they might lose at trial.  "Plush" punishment is better than no punishment, right?

So why don't you just confess to the "hundreds" of crimes you've supposedly committed and serve your time in plush custody(with sequential sentences, of course)? 

rated:
mapatsfan said:   
museki said:   
mapatsfan said:   What a bunch of crap, flat screen tv's, half days, pay for upgrades? Where's the disincentive to commit crime if the punishment is plush?

Chicago's police chief has offered that as a reason for their record homicide rate in spite of the toughest gun laws in the country; criminals don't fear prosecution and punishment there anymore.

  Nearly 80% of participants are traffic offenders.  Those are basic crimes, deserving basic punishment.  Mr. DUI doesn't need to be sharing a county dorm with 15 members of Grape Street Watts Crips.

The other 20% of participants (apparently) had cases that DA's thoughts they might lose at trial.  "Plush" punishment is better than no punishment, right?

So why don't you just confess to the "hundreds" of crimes you've supposedly committed and serve your time in plush custody(with sequential sentences, of course)? 

  I would love to. But I can't even get a street cop to turn in my traffic citation to the courts.  How would I ever get a DA to prosecute me?

rated:
Does it include a whole house generator? 

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017