• filter:
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I am wondering which senior members are still left in this house? Are any of you guys still playing at the casinos, online or offline?

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
I haven't been in a casino in years. I think last time was the Chumash Casino (North of Santa Barbara). I used the restroom, but didn't play the slots.

rated:
burgerwars said:   I haven't been in a casino in years. I think last time was the Chumash Casino (North of Santa Barbara). I used the restroom, but didn't play the slots.
  I take my dad to Chumash a few times a year.  He loves the penny slots.  I love the danish pancakes in nearby Solvang.  The restrooms are nice too.

rated:
They actually allow smoking in the Indian run casino here, nay.

rated:
Went last year to Vegas (trip # 5 for me)
Gambled in a bunch of casinos around Vdara (Aria, Bellagio, Ceasers, Linq, Planet Hollywood, Cosmopolitan)
Mostly played roulette. Some 3 card poker.. Texas hold'em once.
Came out with $200 more than what I went there with.

Also gambled on a Royal Caribbean cruise last December. Only played Roulette on there. Lost $100 I think.

rated:
Thanks for your feedback, guys. FW used to be a great place to discuss casino related topics back in the days. =) For me Reno has always been a great place to flip some cards and hang out. The US generally brings plenty of joyful casinos but the online casino market is dull, with only very few decent operators left. 2006 brought some big changes when it comes to gambling.

rated:
IIRC, there are a couple of profesional poker players that still actively post on the finance board.

rated:
Orko said:   For me Reno has always been a great place to flip some cards and hang out.
 

  
Not a gambler but Reno is a great place for drinking, eating and general bad behavior. Awful Awful Burger :drool:

rated:
@ganda For some Reno does not seem big enough anymore, as shown in this old thread. :p For me it has always been brilliant. You can walk from one place to another and there are plenty of options for beer and to gamble.

@MilleniumBug: Thanks for the info but I am not much of a poker player... besides Video Poker and Car Stud. I play these online though and preferably with bonuses. Bonuses is the great thing about online play and what actually brought me to FW years ago.

rated:
Just went to Morongo (Indian casino near Palm Springs) Tuesday. Interesting to see the youngsters playing (18 to gamble there) I took a day trip tour bus since they were offering $100 in match play coupons as a promo. I think I was the only white guy on the bus! Played Spanish 21 and Pai Gow, left with $240 more than I came with.

rated:
I live in Virginia, so I have to drive 6 hours to AC or fly to Vegas for good gambling options. Since I'm an extreme low roller (low limit craps and $.25 video poker), it doesn't make sense to go unless I've got a group of people to hang out and have fun with. My wife hates Vegas, so I can't convince her to vacation there.

There are two casinos outside of DC that aren't that far of a drive, but the drinks aren't comped, the craps minimums are high, and the video poker paytables suck. Still, if I'm up there, I try to stop in just cause I love gambling. That doesn't happen as much now that we don't have family up north and I have a 7-month old.

rated:
Never been to Reno, what's that like? Vegas lite?

rated:
ZenNUTS said:   Never been to Reno, what's that like? Vegas lite?
  
It's nothing like Las Vegas. I don't like Las Vegas, I do like Reno. Reno is seedy, it's a playground for adults and it knows that. Las Vegas is sad, although if you like Disneyworld, Celine Dion, and similar fakery you'll love it.

Las Vegas = Disneyworld
Reno = traveling carnival that sells meth
 

rated:
ganda said:   ZenNUTS said:   Never been to Reno, what's that like? Vegas lite?
  
It's nothing like Las Vegas. I don't like Las Vegas, I do like Reno. Reno is seedy, it's a playground for adults and it knows that. Las Vegas is sad, although if you like Disneyworld, Celine Dion, and similar fakery you'll love it.

Las Vegas = Disneyworld
Reno = traveling carnival that sells meth
 


I also haven't been to Reno in a long time. You can also take a drive to Lake Tahoe and stay there for a couple days. Nice change and nice scenery. The casino resorts are on South end right at the California/Nevada border.

rated:
burgerwars said:   
ganda said:   
ZenNUTS said:   Never been to Reno, what's that like? Vegas lite?
  
It's nothing like Las Vegas. I don't like Las Vegas, I do like Reno. Reno is seedy, it's a playground for adults and it knows that. Las Vegas is sad, although if you like Disneyworld, Celine Dion, and similar fakery you'll love it.

Las Vegas = Disneyworld
Reno = traveling carnival that sells meth


I also haven't been to Reno in a long time. You can also take a drive to Lake Tahoe and stay there for a couple days. Nice change and nice scenery.
 

  
Tahoe is another plus for Reno, you can just take a drive to one of my favorite steak restaurants. And then you have the air races

rated:
@ganda: I absolutely agree. There is plenty to do around Reno besides going to just casinos. It's a lovely place especially when the weather is nice.

@george2001: Bonus coupons at a land based casino? Now that IS something I would be interested in! A promo coupon at a land based casino sounds like plenty of fun. Unfortunately the flight to Morongo would not make it worthwhile, so I guess I got to stick to the online establishments for the bonuses. 

Has anyone ever been in the European casinos? Some of them are very much unlike in the US, even though many houses actually try to rebuild the feeling of the classic US resorts. France for instance has a large chain with establishments all over the country (www.casinosbarriere.com). A place I would still love to see is Macau... but in the end I figure that might be too pumped up as well, similar to Vegas.

rated:
Orko said:    Morongo
 

  Morongo only pawn in game of life.

rated:
Last 2 casinos I went to were in Nicaragua.

I don't recommend.

rated:
Orko said:   @ganda: I absolutely agree. There is plenty to do around Reno besides going to just casinos. It's a lovely place especially when the weather is nice.

@george2001: Bonus coupons at a land based casino? Now that IS something I would be interested in! A promo coupon at a land based casino sounds like plenty of fun. Unfortunately the flight to Morongo would not make it worthwhile, so I guess I got to stick to the online establishments for the bonuses. 

Has anyone ever been in the European casinos? Some of them are very much unlike in the US, even though many houses actually try to rebuild the feeling of the classic US resorts. France for instance has a large chain with establishments all over the country (www.casinosbarriere.com). A place I would still love to see is Macau... but in the end I figure that might be too pumped up as well, similar to Vegas.


Been to Europe a dozen times but never gone inside one. From what I've read they aren't anywhere near the fancy U.S. stuff, and often charge an entry fee.

I've been to Sky City in Auckland and another casino in Sydney that I think is now called The Star. They're kind of Las Vegas like, but on a smaller scale.

I've also been to casinos in Montreal and Vancouver. They're nice, but not anything out of the ordinary. I just went in these places because I was in these cities. Didn't stay long or gamble.

Southern California Indian casinos are mostly nice, from what I recall (it has been years). They're far if you're commuting from Los Angeles, but short drives from San Diego along with a few around Palm Springs.

If you want super-fancy-city-size-casino-resorts, you'll probably need to stick with Las Vegas.

rated:
burgerwars said:   
Orko said:   @ganda: I absolutely agree. There is plenty to do around Reno besides going to just casinos. It's a lovely place especially when the weather is nice.

@george2001: Bonus coupons at a land based casino? Now that IS something I would be interested in! A promo coupon at a land based casino sounds like plenty of fun. Unfortunately the flight to Morongo would not make it worthwhile, so I guess I got to stick to the online establishments for the bonuses. 

Has anyone ever been in the European casinos? Some of them are very much unlike in the US, even though many houses actually try to rebuild the feeling of the classic US resorts. France for instance has a large chain with establishments all over the country (www.casinosbarriere.com). A place I would still love to see is Macau... but in the end I figure that might be too pumped up as well, similar to Vegas.


Been to Europe a dozen times but never gone inside one. From what I've read they aren't anywhere near the fancy U.S. stuff, and often charge an entry fee.

I've been to Sky City in Auckland and another casino in Sydney that I think is now called The Star. They're kind of Las Vegas like, but on a smaller scale.

I've also been to casinos in Montreal and Vancouver. They're nice, but not anything out of the ordinary. I just went in these places because I was in these cities. Didn't stay long or gamble.

Southern California Indian casinos are mostly nice, from what I recall (it has been years). They're far if you're commuting from Los Angeles, but short drives from San Diego along with a few around Palm Springs.

If you want super-fancy-city-size-casino-resorts, you'll probably need to stick with Las Vegas.

  Of course if you like craps, you may not like "California craps", which is played with cards since gambling on dice is illegal in California.
They also have a card based version of Roulette.

rated:
george2001 said:   
burgerwars said:   
Orko said:   @ganda: I absolutely agree. There is plenty to do around Reno besides going to just casinos. It's a lovely place especially when the weather is nice.

@george2001: Bonus coupons at a land based casino? Now that IS something I would be interested in! A promo coupon at a land based casino sounds like plenty of fun. Unfortunately the flight to Morongo would not make it worthwhile, so I guess I got to stick to the online establishments for the bonuses. 

Has anyone ever been in the European casinos? Some of them are very much unlike in the US, even though many houses actually try to rebuild the feeling of the classic US resorts. France for instance has a large chain with establishments all over the country (www.casinosbarriere.com). A place I would still love to see is Macau... but in the end I figure that might be too pumped up as well, similar to Vegas.


Been to Europe a dozen times but never gone inside one. From what I've read they aren't anywhere near the fancy U.S. stuff, and often charge an entry fee.

I've been to Sky City in Auckland and another casino in Sydney that I think is now called The Star. They're kind of Las Vegas like, but on a smaller scale.

I've also been to casinos in Montreal and Vancouver. They're nice, but not anything out of the ordinary. I just went in these places because I was in these cities. Didn't stay long or gamble.

Southern California Indian casinos are mostly nice, from what I recall (it has been years). They're far if you're commuting from Los Angeles, but short drives from San Diego along with a few around Palm Springs.

If you want super-fancy-city-size-casino-resorts, you'll probably need to stick with Las Vegas.

  Of course if you like craps, you may not like "California craps", which is played with cards since gambling on dice is illegal in California.
They also have a card based version of Roulette.


There are card clubs (Hollywood Park Casino, Commerce Casino, etc.). There are a bunch of those in Los Angeles County, but you can't play against the house. Indian casinos you can and they also have slots. Californians voted for that years ago. Whether that will change in the future (allowing card clubs to have slots and expand their games), I don't know, as it would have to be changed by a vote. I'm not familiar with all the casino games, as I rarely go, so I can't comment on all the crap/craps that can be bet.
  

rated:
scrouds said:   Last 2 casinos I went to were in Nicaragua.

I don't recommend.

lol. Going to that country already sounds like a gamble enough to me. But I am sure it's a beautiful place as soon as you walk out into nature.
Why did you not like about the casinos there? Did they look shabby or was the crowd a bit unusual?

@burgerwars: In Europe it always depends and the quality varies from one place to another. Charging a fee for casino entrance is a pretty strange thing though. At least this should be refunded after bets are placed.

The casinos I know on the US West Coast are usually worth a beer or two, but I haven't been there in a while.

What I am actually curious about: Has anyone noticed differences in the payout ratios of slot machines between the Indian casinos and the ones in Nevada? Are they all the same?

@george2001: Dice are not allowed for gambling in California... that is funny. I wonder who came up with that rule.

 

rated:
Nicaragua was fun. The first casino even had some table games. Poorly lit, just looked kind of drab. Didn't want to stay even though blackjack was only $5

The one in Esteli was just machines. If you like slots and video poker, they worked in cordoba, so you can play pretty cheap. The American 80s/90s music was a nice touch.

rated:
Orko;19822963 said:
scrouds said:   Last 2 casinos I went to were in Nicaragua.

I don't recommend.

lol. Going to that country already sounds like a gamble enough to me. But I am sure it's a beautiful place as soon as you walk out into nature.
Why did you not like about the casinos there? Did they look shabby or was the crowd a bit unusual?

@burgerwars: In Europe it always depends and the quality varies from one place to another. Charging a fee for casino entrance is a pretty strange thing though. At least this should be refunded after bets are placed.

The casinos I know on the US West Coast are usually worth a beer or two, but I haven't been there in a while.

What I am actually curious about: Has anyone noticed differences in the payout ratios of slot machines between the Indian casinos and the ones in Nevada? Are they all the same?

@george2001: Dice are not allowed for gambling in California... that is funny. I wonder who came up with that rule.

  Link About Craps, Roulette, and Dice-Games in California  

California casinos use different hardware, but the game is about the same:

California Roulette varies from casino to casino, but the idea remains consistent. Players wager bets on a typical roulette layout, but the ultimate winning pick is based on a card numbered and colored identical to that of a roulette wheel. Some casinos have a spinning card wheel that uses a flapper to stop on the winning card. Others casinos draw three random cards and place them face-down on three regions on the table labeled “1-12”, “13-24”, and “25-36”; representative of the range of numbers. A roulette wheel is spun, and the number range that the ball lands in determines which card is flipped over to reveal the winning card.California Craps sidesteps the dice “chance” prohibition by using a combination of dice and playing cards, or cards alone. Again, the variations differ from casino to casino, but the essential idea is that cards are representative of the winning “dice” numbers, thus making it a house-banked card game.

rated:
17 Black is the ONLY number I play on Roulette. It has been very good to me.

And I agree, in Reno, the Awful Awful Burger is to die for (but the place is an absolute dive).

Reno is nothing like Vegas though. Good place to get inked as there are tattoo shops all over in Reno.

rated:
Dovetonsils said:   17 Black is the ONLY number I play on Roulette. It has been very good to me.I always put a chip on 17-20 split.

rated:
Now I really want to go to reno. Last time out in cali, my buddy and I drove up 395 from Victorville, and kept seeing mileage signs for reno. Was tempted to keep going but our destination was Yosemite.

rated:
@scrouds: A casino without tables is missing the fundamental part. Also in Nicaragua. 80's and 90's music in an old gambling shack sounds like a great thing though. I would not trust the slot machines in these places though.

@burgerwars: Thanks for the info. I actually went to some resort in Northern California years ago but must have forgotten about that rule. Probably I did not notice because I prefer BJ anyway. And Video Poker.

@dovetonsils: You seem to like the bigger variance if you only bet on 17. =)

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017