• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I work in a consulting firm of 225 employees in 8 offices with not-cutting edge technological tools and with paranoid, primarily home-grown IT staff and no CTO. We have an intranet site, but it isn't routinely maintained and the data therein is spotty at best. In the position I hold my colleagues (there are 7 of us in the company because I support 2 different offices) and I have monthly meetings via video con to share information since our offices run somewhat independently under a corporate umbrella. Rather than re-invent more wheels I suggested we set up a message board or forum, preferably on the intranet if that is an option. The board would serve as a repository for our gems of wisdom relative to the company and our work responsibilities as well as a place for us to ask questions and then save the responses. We presently use email strings, none of which are saved anywhere as far as I am aware. So for example when someone asks for ideas about motivating staff to work cooperatively in common areas of their office, we all try to offer suggestions and it would be great to be able to refer back to the responses as need arises. Someone asked for references on where to buy ________ and the list would be nice to have somewhere for future reference.

What has worked well for you at work for this purpose? Or what can you suggest I could use to accomplish this? We are running Win 8 and do not have MS Exchange fully implemented. Each office has a network that other offices cannot access (we discovered a way, but it's a secret we are not sharing). I would have to state my case to senior management if there is a cost involved and I will probably have to maintain the board myself because IT will claim they are too busy.

Thanks in advance! I look forward to your helpful responses. I am aware that there is a Technology forum but I trust you guys to be able to help me.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
For a small outfit I highly suggest some kind of cloud based solution rather than roll your own. Check out Google solutions like Hangout.

rated:
Just create random messages on the FW technology board. No one ever goes over there.

rated:
Private Facebook group....

rated:
Could give Slack a spin. You can make your own group and channels.

Only thing is that for free license, they will eventually start deleting old messages.

rated:

rated:
I want to do a parody that is serious.
Your help requested for motivating co-workers to do the bare minimum of what is required of them at work
Good luck, kirby.

rated:
i've worked in companies similarly sized and also much bigger. the problem hasn't been the tool but the content. not enough people generate enough content to make it worthwhile to look at. i have a group of 25 or so you'd think there'd be more wisdom dropped in there. nope. notbody's looked at the site in 6 months, 2 months after it was rolled out.

might consider using something like trello to organize into subjects that can be moved or updated. i think the other inhibitor is that people see messages as permanent and are afraid of posting.

or just use OT. there is a lot of wisdom on here.

rated:
MilleniumBuc said:   Just create random messages on the FW technology board. No one ever goes over there.

Good idea!

rated:
Thanks to all so far!

Miserly, I have seen boards become ghost towns as well. In this case because our offices run somewhat independently each of us is like an island, building our own processes within the corporate policies. Our latest VP has asked us to meet and collaborate on shared topics so we started meeting this year. There are many interesting topics and suggestions that would be useful to save somewhere, in particular for new people in this position. For now I think it would be great to have a board to post upon and perhaps down the road we will grow out of it or leave it behind. I am the idea girl, it's a part of most of the work I do. I really enjoy the diversity of my work as well as the problem solving, troubleshooting, forensics part of it all.

In this company we are not allowed to access gmail, hotmail, etc. due to fear of virus, etc. y i p e s
I will take a look at apps as suggested. Thank you all again.

rated:
woowoo2 I created my own Google Group with fairly little effort. Now I'm waiting for executive management approval to use it. Our new finance software has a forum component but I have used that software before and would prefer to be elsewhere. Thanks for the youtube video explanation.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017