• filter:

outrage! clickbait!

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/26/us/united-airlines-leggings.h...
why don't they just lead with, these were pass travelers who have a dress code they are supposed to meet? because they want the outrage and clicks! not to mention they are fake news, so it probably didn't even happen.

i first heard about the dress code back in 1989 when i was bumped up to business class and the flight attendant asked why i was wearing jeans as she thought i was a pass traveler. and i had no idea what the heck she was talking about. its a good thing i didn't show up wearing yoga leggings.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
I guess the people who watched the incident didn't know about them being pass-traveler. It's the age of internet, outrage first, move on to the next social media story later.

rated:
I was trying to explain this to my co-worker. She just didn't get it.
You're flying on their dime, you follow their dress code. It was all over the morning news, too. Ridiculous.

rated:
sublimosa said:   I was trying to explain this to my co-worker. She just didn't get it.
You're flying on their dime, you follow their dress code. It was all over the morning news, too. Ridiculous.

mostly, they don't care. they want to be outraged at a huge multi-national, billions of dollars company and don't care if the facts don't support their narrative.

rated:
They completely forgot to mention that shannon watts is a well known activist that sits on the board of some feminist organizations as well as having founded the gun control group "moms demand action for gun sense in america".

Smells very staged.

rated:
Yeah, the media really click-baited this. Facebook also helped.

United didn't really help the situation by tweeting to people that they were "United Pass Holders". Pretty much nobody knows what the hell that is. It's only when reading the articles that you understand what's going on. Some celebrity "activists" got sand in their panties on this one while tweeting to United.

rated:

rated:
sublimosa said:   I was trying to explain this to my co-worker. She just didn't get it.

so an employee benefit doesn't seem like a benefit at all, but a corporate Dictatorial policy. 

rated:
FrugalFreaky said:   

so an employee benefit doesn't seem like a benefit at all, but a corporate Dictatorial policy. 

What?

rated:
FrugalFreaky said:   

The airplane is part of the company workplace. Don't you have a uniform or a dress code at your workplace? Most places have some restrictions on dress.
Let's say the company has a breakroom. Is it dictatorial for them to require that the tables and sink must be kept clean, that food can't be kept in the fridge past a certain amount of time?
Vacation is a benefit, but employees need approval before they take it. They can't just decide at 8AM Wednesday morning they are taking two weeks vacation. Is that dictatorial?
It's not like they are required to wear clown suits or dress like prostitutes and service the paying customers. Heck, they aren't even required to act as flight attendents for the free flight. I don't know about you, but if my company said I or an immediate member of my family can fly for free on any flight with an open seat as long as I dress appropriately, I think that is more than a fair trade.
Other than being in financial straits and not owning appropriate attire (and unable to purchase any)and needing to fly somewhere say for a funeral what scenario are you thinking of that makes this an awful invasive policy?
Edited for typos and other errors such as not adding info to the final sentence

rated:
again, there's nothing to see here. and i'm sure the parents of the girls who were asked to change knew about the rules and why they haven't said a peep about this whole incident.
if you didn't like the rules, could have paid full fare for the rides.

Oh the humanity! The outrage of the corporations dictating dress!

in the meanwhile, all our web surfing data can now be sold and there haven't been any outrage. the LACK of Outrage is OUTRAGEOUS!
http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/29/15100620/congress-fcc-isp-web-... 

rated:
FrugalFreaky said:   

It's a policy, not a law, you are always welcome to GTF off the plane and pay full price and wear your yoga pants. 

rated:
miserly said:   
in the meanwhile, all our web surfing data can now be sold and there haven't been any outrage. the LACK of Outrage is OUTRAGEOUS!
http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/29/15100620/congress-fcc-isp-web-...

I'm surprised there's very little reaction to it.  With packet tracing, your ISP can tell which websites you visit and sell that information, unless you use a VPN but that slows down things a lot and VPN services are not free.

rated:
Puma leggings
20% discount on leggings through April 9 in-store when you show your United ticket.

rated:
kirbydog said:   Puma leggings
20% discount on leggings through April 9 in-store when you show your United ticket.
I will run out and buy my United ticket to take advantage of this offer.

rated:
scrouds said:   

I will run out and buy my United ticket to take advantage of this offer.

(nods sagely) It is the FW way, of course.

rated:
If I were Puma.. I'd up it to like 60%-75%.
20% is close to nothing. If they want publicity, they gotta pay the discount.

rated:
KayK said:   

If I were Puma. . I'd up it to like 60%-75%.

Yeah, really. How many United flyers do they expect will show up at one of their stores to use the discount?? A gajillion?

rated:
kirbydog said:   
KayK said:   

Yeah, really. How many United flyers do they expect will show up at one of their stores to use the discount?? A gajillion?

i wish i needed leggings...

rated:
miserly said:   
kirbydog said:   
KayK said:   

Fully stocked are you?

rated:
kirbydog said:   
miserly said:   
kirbydog said:   
KayK said:   

Fully stocked are you?

i have all the leggings i need. thank you.

rated:
/giggles/ Oh my!

That reminds me, yesterday as I was driving to work I passed a guy on a bicycle wearing a white lycra jersey AND white bike shorts. not a good look, let me tell you.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017