• filter:

Burgerwars in Berlin

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
In about two months.  Give me ideas.

I may also take a train trip to Hamburg, where hamburgers were thought of.  I'll be visiting "my homeland" for the first time. 

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Well, you obviously need to buy a chunk of wall that are probably for sale.

Also you need to eat a jelly donut while saying you are one in German, ich bein ein berliner!

rated:
The German Kit Kats are phenomenal in comparison to US version ones. We know a guy who travels there several times a year who we ask to bring back the good stuff.

rated:
kirbydog said:   The German Kit Kats are phenomenal in comparison to US version ones. We know a guy who travels there several times a year who we ask to bring back the good stuff.
Do they use real Kat or something?

rated:
kamalktk said:   Well, you obviously need to buy a chunk of wall that are probably for sale.

Also you need to eat a jelly donut while saying you are one in German, ich bein ein berliner!

But it's a beautiful beautiful wall!

rated:
kamalktk said:   
kirbydog said:   The German Kit Kats are phenomenal in comparison to US version ones. We know a guy who travels there several times a year who we ask to bring back the good stuff.

No, silly. I think it's the quality of the chocolate and that the candy doesn't seem as sweet somehow. We hoarded our stash for as long as possible but I think there are only 2 left (hidden in my dresser drawer!). 

rated:
kirbydog said:   
kamalktk said:   

No, silly. I think it's the quality of the chocolate and that the candy doesn't seem as sweet somehow. We hoarded our stash for as long as possible but I think there are only 2 left (hidden in my dresser drawer!). 

That doesn't surprise me.  American sweets are over-the-top sweet compared to Japanese stuff, but you probably already know that.

rated:

I just got back from lunch with a co-worker and we split a KitKat.  The U.S. version   .  What also beats the U.S. are Europe's McDonald's McCafes, especially in Italy.  McDonald's U.S. operators should be required to go see them, so they know what they're supposed to be like.

rated:
Grocery store chain Lidl has stores all over Berlin. Not only you can get most inexpensive kitkats there but also freshly baked, oven hot pretzels for 0.49€

rated:
Now I'm going to go home, unearth the hidden last candy bars and eat them. I hope you all are happy now. /cries/

rated:
bw, bring me back a Euro kitkat! I am intrigued. I think American kitkats taste like synthetic grapey chocolate.
BTW, speaking of grapey, anyone in touch with grapegrl say hello from me.

rated:
sublimosa said:   bw, bring me back a Euro kitkat! I am intrigued. I think American kitkats taste like synthetic grapey chocolate.

PM me your address before I go and I'll send.

The last time I was in Germany, aside from making an airline connection, was in Munich quite a few years ago. There was a supermarket across the street from the hotel, but I didn't buy KitKats.

I found German KitKats on Amazon just now. A seller will sell and ship a 217g bar for $19.99. A good option for those that can't justify going to Germany to pick up a candy bar:

https://www.amazon.com/German-KitKat-Mini-Chocolate-217g/dp/B0062YVZ9S

rated:
burgerwars said:   
sublimosa said:   bw, bring me back a Euro kitkat! I am intrigued. I think American kitkats taste like synthetic grapey chocolate.

The last time I was in Germany, aside from making an airline connection, was in Munich quite a few years ago. There was a supermarket across the street from the hotel, but I didn't buy KitKats.

I found German KitKats on Amazon just now. A seller will sell and ship a 217g bar for $19.99. A good option for those that can't justify going to Germany to pick up a candy bar:

single sticks! 
American version has a weird aftertaste like stale malt.

DRAT! After work I stopped at Costco, got a killer parking space then couldn't find my card. I searched in every likely place and finally went to the counter where I asked for a day pass. I was there for a couple of grocery items that turned into +$100 plus a dozen bagels to share at work. Got home, went to where I thought my card was and it wasn't there. Looked off and on at a few other places then finally remembered that I had used the card with a tote bag that I rarely use and found it in there. Today I was talking to a coworker who said he has another card issued when he forgets his. Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that?? After all the drama I completely forgot about the KitKats! waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

rated:
kirbydog said:   DRAT! After work I stopped at Costco, got a killer parking space then couldn't find my card. I searched in every likely place and finally went to the counter where I asked for a day pass. I was there for a couple of grocery items that turned into +$100 plus a dozen bagels to share at work. Got home, went to where I thought my card was and it wasn't there. Looked off and on at a few other places then finally remembered that I had used the card with a tote bag that I rarely use and found it in there. Today I was talking to a coworker who said he has another card issued when he forgets his. Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that?? After all the drama I completely forgot about the KitKats! waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
  i feel your pain.
BTW, you'll share the Kats you get from BW, right?

rated:
Two turkeys took 30 seconds to cross the road when I was driving back from park to work.
30 seconds.
Those things think they own the damn road.
They don't know they'll be stuffed and eaten come November.
Seesh.

rated:
KayK said:   Two turkeys took 30 seconds to cross the road when I was driving back from park to work.
30 seconds.
Seesh.

And this is helping bw in Berlin how...

rated:
MommyOfHAndK said:   KayK said:   Two turkeys took 30 seconds to cross the road when I was driving back from park to work.
30 seconds.
Seesh.

And this is helping bw in Berlin how...

The road was the Autobahn?

rated:
kirbydog said:   
burgerwars said:   

I found German KitKats on Amazon just now. A seller will sell and ship a 217g bar for $19.99. A good option for those that can't justify going to Germany to pick up a candy bar:

single sticks! 

...because it's made by Hershey's. All Hershey's "chocolate" tastes like vomit aftertaste to me. I may have thrown up too much in my youth. 

BW - are you going AirBerlin? I keep meaning to try them, they have some good fares.

rated:
ganda said:   kirbydog said:   
burgerwars said:   

single sticks! 

...because it's made by Hershey's. All Hershey's "chocolate" tastes like vomit aftertaste to me. I may have thrown up too much in my youth. 

BW - are you going AirBerlin? I keep meaning to try them, they have some good fares.

United & Swiss Air. I'm burning some United frequent flyer miles on this trip. I've flown Air Berlin once before. Service was average. The seats in economy were closer than some other airlines. Their fares may be a bit lower, but they squeeze more people to achieve that.

rated:
miserly said:   
kirbydog said:   DRAT! After work I stopped at Costco, got a killer parking space then couldn't find my card. I searched in every likely place and finally went to the counter where I asked for a day pass. I was there for a couple of grocery items that turned into +$100 plus a dozen bagels to share at work. Got home, went to where I thought my card was and it wasn't there. Looked off and on at a few other places then finally remembered that I had used the card with a tote bag that I rarely use and found it in there. Today I was talking to a coworker who said he has another card issued when he forgets his. Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that?? After all the drama I completely forgot about the KitKats! waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
  i feel your pain.
BTW, you'll share the Kats you get from BW, right?

My guy is flying through Frankfurt soon and I put in my order for KitKats. Yay.

rated:
Embarrassing Things You Should Never Do in Other Countries 

DON'T TALK WITH YOUR HANDS IN YOUR POCKETS IN GERMANY

Planning a trip to Germany? Don't talk with your hands in your pockets while you're there, as it's considered rude. It's also customary to keep your hands on the table while eating, rather than resting them in your lap.

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   Embarrassing Things You Should Never Do in Other Countries 

DON'T TALK WITH YOUR HANDS IN YOUR POCKETS IN GERMANY

Planning a trip to Germany? Don't talk with your hands in your pockets while you're there, as it's considered rude. It's also customary to keep your hands on the table while eating, rather than resting them in your lap.

Who eats while resting both hands on their lap?  I don't even do that at McDonald's.  I was at a restaurant for dinner last night, and saw nobody doing that.  If our hands were on our laps while eating, we'll all be eating with our faces right in the bowls, like pet cats and dogs.

rated:
This trip is coming soon. I will be taking a train to Hamburg, to see where it all started. I'll also be taking a day trip to Dresden.
It's United Airlines on the way there, so if you hear a story about a passenger being hog-tied and thrown out for burping before take-off, it could be me.

rated:
I am in Berlin! It's the morning but I need a short rest before going out. Tomorrow it's a day trip by train to Hamburg.

rated:
burgerwars said:   I am in Berlin! It's the morning but I need a short rest before going out. Tomorrow it's a day trip by train to Hamburg.
  Enjoy!

I'm in Dublin now.  Getting a free tour of the jail.  Will walk around town and visit the sites after they let me out of jail.

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
burgerwars said:   I am in Berlin! It's the morning but I need a short rest before going out. Tomorrow it's a day trip by train to Hamburg.
  Enjoy!

I'm in Dublin now.  Getting a free tour of the jail.  Will walk around town and visit the sites after they let me out of jail.

You need one of these.

rated:
burgerwars said:   This trip is coming soon. I will be taking a train to Hamburg, to see where it all started. I'll also be taking a day trip to Dresden.
It's United Airlines on the way there, so if you hear a story about a passenger being hog-tied and thrown out for burping before take-off, it could be me.

Coulda been in Shanghai 
How is it that these kinds of idiot individuals are allowed to be disruptive in such malicious ways?

rated:
 I couldn't upload some first pics including my first Berlin burger.  It must be some internet filtering from here.  You guys just will have to wait.

rated:
News update: I ate a hamburger in Hamburg. My life is complete.

rated:
Hamburg won't allow pics of hamburgers to leak out.

rated:

Rathhaus (110.27kB)
Disclaimer
I got uploads to work.  Here's my Hamburg Hamburger.  McDonald's gave me a free bottle of sweet and sour sauce.  More pics later.

rated:
I met a most gracious, thoughtful woman from Berlin on my flight back from LA yesterday. I had a total of about five hours sleep from Sat to Mon so while I was able to answer her questions well enough, I was far too scrambled to ask her the same kind of thoughtful, considered questions. My unfortunate luck to have a good conversationalist as a seatmate on the flight back instead of the flight out when I was clear and present.

rated:
sublimosa = burgerwars?

rated:
Yup, I'm burgerwars's clone/self from a different time period. I made sure to fly out to CA while he was in Germany so we didn't accidentally meet and cause a cataclysmic event. Meeting the woman from Berlin on the plane was like a sinister warning of the dire consequences of messing with the space/time continuum.

rated:
Question: How do you mail KitKats to prevent them from breaking or melting in summer heat?

rated:
burgerwars said:   Question: How do you mail KitKats to prevent them from breaking or melting in summer heat?
https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/insulated-shipping-containers-boxes.html

rated:
Just mail them and take your chances.

rated:
burgerwars said:   Question: How do you mail KitKats to prevent them from breaking or melting in summer heat?
  in a cooler

rated:
They're not shipped to stores refrigerated. The biggest risk for melting is at final delivery if they're left outside in the sun.

rated:
scrouds said:   They're not shipped to stores refrigerated. The biggest risk for melting is at final delivery if they're left outside in the sun.
  They seem to have a low temp melt rate. I got a couple that had been in a bag as carryon luggage and they were melted. Still good, of course. 
KitKat in Japan is a many-splendored thing

Skipping 1 Messages...
rated:
Here's a few more pics from the last week and the week before.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017