Why has it taken so long for a fast food place to sell gyros?

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Text Only
rated:
http://arbys.com/our-menu/limited-time-offers/greek-gyro

Haven't tried one yet but would have thought a fast food chain would have brought this out years ago. Who doesn't like gyros if they already like burgers?

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Open today until 1am... hmmm...

/ Arbys curly fries are addictive.

make sure your windows aren't tinted too darkly, and don't pause at intersections for too long eating your curly fries(yum) after you do a drive thru...

click to think arbys
Disclaimer
Not terrible. Could use more cucumber-ey sauce.

/yes that's a jamocha shake
//not pictured, the curly fries

kamalktk said:   Open today until 1am... hmmm...

/ Arbys curly fries are addictive.
We buy Arby's curly fries and a "double double" from Tim Hortons every single time we are at this one particular rest stop on 90 West in upstate NY on way to Toronto.

kamalktk said:   Not terrible. Could use more cucumber-ey sauce.

were they already in your belly?

I almost never go to Arby's but I love gyros. I will likely be disappointed (that was what I had at the disappointing restaurant) but I actually think I'll have better luck at Arby's. Theirs might be 100% synthetic, but I bet it will taste closer to the real thing.

There is a new place by me called Simply Greek, which feels like a Greek faster food establishment. Very good Gyros.

Ironically, theres a gyro place near my work that is in an old Arby's building.

They can make a gyro about as fast as Arby's could plop down their disgusting roast "beef" sandwich.

The wings take longer but are worth the wait.

MilleniumBuc said:   There is a new place by me called Simply Greek,

Is their delivery service called "Simply Greek To Me"?

Oh, and no tomatoes.

I always thought a good name for a gyro place would be "Silence of the Lambs"

^
"Chili Sauce PITA"

atikovi said:   http://arbys.com/our-menu/limited-time-offers/greek-gyro 

Haven't tried one yet but would have thought a fast food chain would have brought this out years ago. Who doesn't like gyros if they already like burgers?

Maybe because the preparation and cooking of the meat is more challenging than many places can manage?

kirbydog said:   

Maybe because the preparation and cooking of the meat is more challenging than many places can manage?

Shove a premade gyro cone into a rotisserie and cut slices off. Lay slices on a pita along with lettuce, tomato, and onions. Top with sauce, and garnish with feta and a pepper. No more difficult than assembling a BM. 

atikovi said:   
kirbydog said:   

No more difficult than assembling a BM. 

I see you've dined at McDonald's.

I don't understand why people think the slicing happens on site.

I would bet good money their gyro meat comes pre sliced and is simply placed in a warming tray.

scrouds said:   I don't understand why people think the slicing happens on site.

I would bet good money their gyro meat comes pre sliced and is simply placed in a warming tray.

Since I haven't been yet I don't know. That would ideal but also assume the meat comes already sliced in large bags. On the other hand, they do slice the roast beef on site so why not gyros?

Review:
Price 5.99+ tax for combo includies curly fries and drink, for comparison a wendys double combo is approximately 7.50 where I am.

It's not going to win a taste test vs a gyro place's gyros, but it does taste like a gyro. The lettuce, tomato and bread seemed fresh. It was more oily than gyro place gyros. There was plenty of meat. The cucumber sauce was not strong and did not balance the meat flavor.

Would eat this again? Yes
Value: more food than a Wendy's double combo, for a 1.50 less. Good deal.

What meat was it made of? Pork, lamb?

kamalktk said:   Review:
Price 5.99+ tax for combo includies curly fries and drink, for comparison a wendys double combo is approximately 7.50 where I am.

It's not going to win a taste test vs a gyro place's gyros, but it does taste like a gyro. The lettuce, tomato and bread seemed fresh. It was more oily than gyro place gyros. There was plenty of meat. The cucumber sauce was not strong and did not balance the meat flavor.

Would eat this again? Yes
Value: more food than a Wendy's double combo, for a 1.50 less. Good deal.

This was my dinner tonight. Will I have it again? Most likely not. I think the price was the same, either $5.99 or 6.99 for the combo (also offering 2/$6)
Did it taste more like a gyro than the gyro at the real sit down more upscale place? Without a doubt.
Way too heavy on the spices in the lamb meat but it tasted like the real thing. Also way too heavy on the spices in the sauce and as kamal said, needs more cucumber flavor but again, far closer than the real restaurant. Sauce had much the same flavor as the meat, so like kamal says, no balance. The real restaurant did have a much better pita, though. Alot of onions and lettuce (eh).
Bonus somehow I got two orders of curly fries in my bag.
Sadly, I am too stuffed to eat both.

Needed to wash my hands twice to get the smell off.
Available in traditional (lamb) turkey and roast beast

atikovi said:   What meat was it made of? Pork, lamb?

I had to Google it, since Arby's website (alarmingly) just says "gyro meat". It's a mix of beef and lamb. Mildly impressed Arby's is using lamb, but I'll stick to the local Greek place.

atikovi said:   What meat was it made of? Pork, lamb?
Many gyros died to bring me this pita.

I dont know if the gyros get to roam free or if they were organic, but probably not.

ahhh, Amazon.

atikovi, sure that could work.. I was referring to vertical rotisserie cooked gyro, which is the method for Greek American gyro meat cookingk. It sounds like people who eat at fast food places wouldn't know or care about authenticity so to answer to the question of why it took so long is probably more about food fads.

I got mine via the drive through, so i didnt see if they have an actual slab of gyro meat on a stick or not. I doubt it.

Wow didn't know they go through the trouble of slicing meat in store.

Our faster food Greek does have the meat in a vertical rotisserie and they pre slice a little at a time and keep it in the warming tray, and then finish cooking it on a grill (I think) before serving it. It takes less than 2 minutes for a gyro fully involved

scrouds said:   Wow didn't know they go through the trouble of slicing meat in store.
I dont know if every store does it, but I've seen their roast beef sliced in store.

mapatsfan said:   make sure your windows aren't tinted too darkly, and don't pause at intersections for too long eating your curly fries(yum) after you do a drive thru...
  Just watch out for those small white cars.

now I'm hungry for a gyro

my advice-get a real one

mapatsfan said:   make sure your windows aren't tinted too darkly, and don't pause at intersections for too long eating your curly fries(yum) after you do a drive thru...
  The value of curly fries is that they are easier to grab from the bag than standard fries when driving 150 MPH while never being cited.

sublimosa said:   my advice-get a real one
We have a Greek house of pizza here in town that advertises them, may try next time instead of a sub.  

Aldi makes a pretty decent frozen kit for gyros, especially if you have a cast iron skillet for frying the pita bread. The bigger supermarkets should have other frozen gyros brands, but likely costing more.
I still might have to try an Arby's one just for the instant gratification of it all & the free small fries and drink. I'll just need to have them hold the lettuce
Almost 20 years ago I went to a place in OR that sold them...Cold pita bread, no onions, it had lettuce and 3 strips of meat. Since someone else bought the meal I wasn't going to complain until the owner/cook asked me proudly how it was. I let him know what was lacking and how to improve it since he had clearly never had an authentic style gyros in his life. Guy still took my money, and I never made it back to see if he took my advice.

Where do you even find one in the USA? Even the greek restaurants here just use the pre-made cones of some pressed and formed meat. Real gyros are made from a cone of stacked slices of marinated cuts of meat. https://www.thespruce.com/how-greek-gyro-is-made-4121890

Round 2:
Better balance of gyro/sauce this time. Maybe they made some stronger sauce.
Eating one while driving would be tricky, they start falling apart when eating one handed.
This would be really awesome drunk/hungover food.

atikovi said:   sublimosa said:   my advice-get a real one
  Where do you even find one in the USA? Even the greek restaurants here just use the pre-made cones of some pressed and formed meat. Real gyros are made from a cone of stacked slices of marinated cuts of meat. https://www.thespruce.com/how-greek-gyro-is-made-4121890

Come to Orlando, I know a place in the ghetto.

click to cry
Disclaimer
atikovi said:   

Men cry tears of joy at that meat stack.

Tried it last night. Same thoughts. Needs more tz sauce, preferably on the side in a cup so you can add it as you go. Also where is the chunk of feta or small pepper? Bread was nice and soft, meat is tender, sprinkled on spices like oregano gave a slight bitter nuance on some bites. Overall I'd say 3 out 5 stars. Pretty good deal at 2 for $6 promo but absent that, there is a greek place a half mile from the Arbys that has $5 gyros on Wednesdays and are 5 stars that I would go to for a gyro craving.

atikovi said:   

Tried it last night. Same thoughts. Needs more tz sauce, preferably on the side in a cup so you can add it as you go. Also where is the chunk of feta or small pepper? Bread was nice and soft, meat is tender, sprinkled on spices like oregano gave a slight bitter nuance on some bites. Overall I'd say 3 out 5 stars. Pretty good deal at 2 for $6 promo but absent that, there is a greek place a half mile from the Arbys that has $5 gyros on Wednesdays and are 5 stars that I would go to for a gyro craving.

I had one on Friday after reading this thread.  (had a coupon via email for free fries and drink with a gyro purchase)

They actually had the sauce quantity at a pretty good level on mine.

In the absence of access to a place that does real gyros (or at least, lack of access to "quick serve" gyros), this gets the job done pretty well, IMO.

I had them last summer in Menomonee, WI. That's a pretty good Arby's, BTW. I liked them fine.

If you want to make your own, WinCo grocery store carries packages of the Gyro meat-about 12 strips for about $5 and little tubs-about 8oz cucumber sauce-Tzatziki, for under $3, then get your pocket bread, some tomatoes and lettuce. Sure is cheaper than the places here that sell just 1 gyro for about $6-not Arby's.

Skipping 1 Messages...
atikovi said:   

Plenty of restaurants that have that around here.  You can see the meat spinning on the kebob machine while they shave off the outside layers.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017