• filter:

Cadbury eggs

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I bought the wife a Cadbury egg a few weeks ago, and instead of eating it right away she put it in a Dish next to her TV watching spot.  Today at the store they were selling Cadbury caramel eggs, which have a different color foil.  I bought one and switched it out.  Let's see if she notices it.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
I'm more curious about how a Cadbury Creme Egg sits around for a few weeks without being eaten...

rated:

rated:
Wait till she Swap out your eggs.

rated:
Still nothing. How am I going to draw her attention to it without ruining the gag?

rated:
Send her a link to these pagan bastards

rated:
Swap it out with a century egg.

rated:
fasttimes said:   Today at the store they were selling Cadbury caramel eggs, which have a different color foil.  I bought one and switched it out.  Let's see if she notices it.
  Is this what passes for entertainment in Beloit?

rated:
I heard something disturbing about Beloit and all of Wisconsin.

They don't sell kerrygold butter. It's illegal.

rated:
I miss Cadburry eggs. I went vegan in 2012 and haven't eaten one since. But, apparently, you can get handmade vegan ones on Etsy. I need to get on that.

rated:
ganda said:   I'm more curious about how a Cadbury Creme Egg sits around for a few weeks without being eaten...

Maybe because no one any longer enjoys them? The recipe changed, I noticed the difference after buying some in 2006/2007, and noticed they were not only smaller, the fondant filling was different. The eggs used to be distributed by Hershey under licensing, and they were identical to the UK eggs from Birmingham prior to 2006. After 2006, Hershey's began making them in their Hazleton, PA plant, using their version of Cadbury Milk Chocolate, and shrunk the size slightly. I actually threw out my remaining eggs, they just did not taste good.

Old ingredients prior to 2006: Milk chocolate (sugar, milk, cocoa butter, chocolate, soya lecithin [an emulcifier], vanillin and other artificial flavorings), sugar, corn syrup, invert syrup, contains 2% or less of: egg whites, artificial coloring including Yellow 6, vanillin (an artificial flavoring).

New ingredients from 2006 on: Milk Chocolate (Sugar; Milk; Chocolate; Cocoa Butter; Milk Fat; Nonfat Milk; Soy Lecithin; Natural and Artificial Flavors); Sugar; Corn Syrup; High Fructose Corn Syrup; contains 2% or less of: Artificial Color (Yellow 6); Artificial Flavor; Calcium Chloride**; Egg Whites.

Note the difference between the British Cadbury Milk Chocolate prior to 2006, and the Hershey's US Cadbury recipe after 2006? The old British Cadbury recipe had more cocoa butter, and was creamier. The Hershey's version has milk fat added to the Cadbury chocolate recipe. The fondant is noticeable different, they took out the invert syrup/invertase, that is crucial to making a creamy fondant. They replaced it with HFCS, which is not only cheaper, it changes the consistency, and makes the filling overly sweet & syrupy (it was already sweet to begin with, this just makes it sickeningly sweet). 

Russel Stover has their own version of these, and the quality of the chocolate is much better, plus the filling is the creamy fondant made using sugar, corn syrup and invertase/invert sugar.  No HFCS, and no other fats than cocoa butter in the chocolate shell. 

I wonder if his wife hasn't eaten it, because she no longer likes them since the recipe changes. 

ETA: **A compound added to foods to be used as a thickener or to stabilize ingredients.

I guess if you replace invert sugar/inverstase with HFCS, you need to artificially thicken the mix so it resembles fondant. That filling is no longer a true fondant.

rated:
ganda said:   I'm more curious about how a Cadbury Creme Egg sits around for a few weeks without being eaten...
  I gave candy for Lent, so I have them sitting in my cupboards while they haunt my dreams every night. 

rated:
SweetClover said:   ganda said:   I'm more curious about how a Cadbury Creme Egg sits around for a few weeks without being eaten...

Maybe because no one any longer enjoys them? The recipe changed, I noticed the difference after buying some in 2006/2007, and noticed they were not only smaller, the fondant filling was different. The eggs used to be distributed by Hershey under licensing, and they were identical to the UK eggs from Birmingham prior to 2006. After 2006, Hershey's began making them in their Hazleton, PA plant, using their version of Cadbury Milk Chocolate, and shrunk the size slightly. I actually threw out my remaining eggs, they just did not taste good.

Old ingredients prior to 2006: Milk chocolate (sugar, milk, cocoa butter, chocolate, soya lecithin [an emulcifier], vanillin and other artificial flavorings), sugar, corn syrup, invert syrup, contains 2% or less of: egg whites, artificial coloring including Yellow 6, vanillin (an artificial flavoring).

New ingredients from 2006 on: Milk Chocolate (Sugar; Milk; Chocolate; Cocoa Butter; Milk Fat; Nonfat Milk; Soy Lecithin; Natural and Artificial Flavors); Sugar; Corn Syrup; High Fructose Corn Syrup; contains 2% or less of: Artificial Color (Yellow 6); Artificial Flavor; Calcium Chloride**; Egg Whites.

Note the difference between the British Cadbury Milk Chocolate prior to 2006, and the Hershey's US Cadbury recipe after 2006? The old British Cadbury recipe had more cocoa butter, and was creamier. The Hershey's version has milk fat added to the Cadbury chocolate recipe. The fondant is noticeable different, they took out the invert syrup/invertase, that is crucial to making a creamy fondant. They replaced it with HFCS, which is not only cheaper, it changes the consistency, and makes the filling overly sweet & syrupy (it was already sweet to begin with, this just makes it sickeningly sweet). 

Russel Stover has their own version of these, and the quality of the chocolate is much better, plus the filling is the creamy fondant made using sugar, corn syrup and invertase/invert sugar.  No HFCS, and no other fats than cocoa butter in the chocolate shell. 

I wonder if his wife hasn't eaten it, because she no longer likes them since the recipe changes. 

ETA: **A compound added to foods to be used as a thickener or to stabilize ingredients.

I guess if you replace invert sugar/inverstase with HFCS, you need to artificially thicken the mix so it resembles fondant. That filling is no longer a true fondant.

I want to say, without looking, that calcium chloride is also used to make pickles stay crisper. If so, I use it without worry.

rated:
SweetClover said:   

Sorry, but no. The domestic and the UK versions have never been the same. I know this because my daughter is allergic to Yellow #6 food dye which the ones sold here have always had AFAIK. I doubt this is the only difference.

Hershey's frequently mess up European candy bars they make under license. Normally so they can save 0.1 cent on each one. Hershey's lobby to stop the importation of European versions. 

rated:
emmyrinke said:   I miss Cadburry eggs. I went vegan in 2012 and haven't eaten one since. But, apparently, you can get handmade vegan ones on Etsy. I need to get on that.
  um, they aren't real eggs. /runs away/

rated:
ganda said: Sorry, but no. The domestic and the UK versions have never been the same. I know this because my daughter is allergic to Yellow #6 food dye which the ones sold here have always had AFAIK. I doubt this is the only difference.

Hershey's frequently mess up European candy bars they make under license. Normally so they can save 0.1 cent on each one. Hershey's lobby to stop the importation of European versions.

The only difference is the source of the coloring, as Yellow #6 is a US product, but prior to 2006, all the US egg boxes stated "Distributed under licensing from Cadbury", and after they stated "Manufactured under licensing from Cadbury." The US distributed eggs were made separately than the UK eggs as they also had different foil wrappers, but the same chocolate shell and fondant filling recipes were used. Current ingredient list mentions paprika extract as the source of UK egg coloring, and was probably used prior. Cadbury UK still uses Invert sugar/invertase, so unlike Hershey's, the fondant is still used - but they changed the chocolate shell since Kraft/Mondelez bought them out (See below***). While not stated, allegedly the source of the vegetable fat is palm oil, which many chocolate companies have been substituting for some or all of the cocoa butter. Neither Hershey's nor Cadbury uses the original recipe anymore. Many UK Cadbury enthusiasts have complained about how Mondelez has cheapened the product.  Cadbury current recipe (Note similarity to prior 2006 recipe also used for Hershey's distributed eggs, other than newer recipe for Cadbury Milk Chocolate):

INGREDIENTS: Milk chocolate (Milk, Sugar, Cocoa butter, Cocoa mass, ***Vegetable fat, Emulsifiers (E442, E476, Soya lecithin), Flavourings), Sugar, glucose (corn) syrup, Invert sugar syrup, Contains less than 2% of: Dried egg white, Flavouring, Colour (Paprika extract)).
Either egg is inferior, and none are the original. Both use poor quality chocolate; sales of Hershey's have been down since they started messing with their chocolate, and substituting milk fat & palm or palm kernel oil for some or all of the cocoa butter. Mondelez is starting to do the same with the UK Cadbury, and sales of the eggs have been down since the change.

May not matter that Hershey's has used the courts to protect their licensing from imports - since Mondelez is changing their products, they will be as  inferior as Hershey's licensed Cadbury before long. 

rated:
kirbydog said:   
emmyrinke said:   I miss Cadburry eggs. I went vegan in 2012 and haven't eaten one since. But, apparently, you can get handmade vegan ones on Etsy. I need to get on that.
  um, they aren't real eggs. /runs away/

They contain animal products, both milk products & egg whites. So, not vegan.

rated:
I'd like to point out that SC knows a LOT about Cadbury eggs.

rated:
Kandykornhead said:   I'd like to point out that SC knows a LOT about Cadbury eggs.

True

Sad to say, I just read the Creme Egg Wiki (!) and since 2006 the eggs sold domestically have had Yellow #6 rather than paprika extract in them since they were made by Hershey's. I don't have any pre-2006 creme eggs lying around to look at. If I'm at Heathrow at the right time of year I buy a carton of 6 for my daughter since they are chemical dye free ones.

I have also been known to risk the $2500/egg fine and smuggle in Kinder Surprise eggs. SC can start a new thread on those

rated:
Kandykornhead said:   I'd like to point out that SC knows a LOT about Cadbury eggs.
  If it wasn't obvious that I was kidding, son of a biscuit please lighten up already.

rated:
ganda said:   Kandykornhead said:   I'd like to point out that SC knows a LOT about Cadbury eggs.

True

Sad to say, I just read the Creme Egg Wiki (!) and since 2006 the eggs sold domestically have had Yellow #6 rather than paprika extract in them since they were made by Hershey's. I don't have any pre-2006 creme eggs lying around to look at. If I'm at Heathrow at the right time of year I buy a carton of 6 for my daughter since they are chemical dye free ones.

I have also been known to risk the $2500/egg fine and smuggle in Kinder Surprise eggs. SC can start a new thread on those

Best to just find someone to mail it in to you. Not that I would ever try to circumvent us import regulations.

rated:
The Canadian version Kinder egg is icky and doesn't have good stuff.

rated:
that's cause they use real Kinders

rated:
mapatsfan said:   that's cause they use real Kinders
  That would explain a lot!

rated:
I gave up eating Cadbury eggs a long time ago. A change in taste (maybe because of changes in ingredients) made me give up on the controversial chocolate product. I am sticking now to Mars and Twixx bars.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017