Careless driving ticket in NJ but from NY

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
rated:
I got a ticket for careless driving in NJ today but am from NY and have a NY license. I was just driving with the flow of the traffic and had no idea but was actually speeding but instead of giving me a ticket for speeding, the officer said at one point I was at 92mph, he gave it for careless driving because it is a lesser offense. The only other time I received a ticket was in 2013 for going the wrong way down a one way street, which again was something I was unaware of and was driving in an unfamiliar area. I think I was able to go to court to plead not guilty and ended up paying the fine and not receiving any points. My questions are, how many points will my record get if I plead guilty and pay? What exactly do those points on my record mean? I would like to go to court but it's an hour away.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Who's the Resident Expert on spoonfeeding tri-state traffic laws to newbs and explaining ignorantia juris non excusat? Pay your bills, deadbeat. And, an hour away? I drive an hour and a half to Costco. I used to live 2 hours from the nearest Wa1mart.

eta: welcome to FW! 

anyone that drives in jersey is careless. if you weren't so careless, you wouldn't have been driving in jersey

I refuse to believe anyone could drive 92mph in Jersey within an hours range of NY.

Your mistake was you didn't explain to the cop you were delivering pie to Chris Christie.

kamalktk said:   I refuse to believe anyone could drive 92mph in Jersey within an hours range of NY.
I topped out my crown vic on the garden state parkway a mile from the border. Never did get the speed limiter removed, but it was still over 100

Traffic school?

The last time I got cited and went to traffic school was 2010. I'm still pissed-off about when a cop stopped me for making a right on a red arrow at about 4:30 in the morning (no traffic). The arrow was just stuck on red for the longest time, and I got impatient. The LAPD knows how to milk money from people.

I ended up paying about $500 for the ticket, and about $60 to go to traffic school to keep the ticket off my record. If I was going 92 MPH, they wouldn't bother with the ticket. They would probably body-slam, hog-tie me, throw me in the police car and haul me off to jail.

scrouds said:   
kamalktk said:   I refuse to believe anyone could drive 92mph in Jersey within an hours range of NY.
I topped out my crown vic on the garden state parkway a mile from the border. Never did get the speed limiter removed, but it was still over 100

green for the crown vic  

kamalktk said:   I refuse to believe anyone could drive 92mph in Jersey within an hours range of NY.NY.. not NYC. Huge difference.
I work in NJ very close to NJ/NY border.. and I set my cruise control to 80 daily just so I don't drive faster. This is for around a 15 mile stretch.. and I get off from the highway around 6-7 miles away from border.
92 is easily available. I've seen crazies zig zag (in SUV's no less) at similar speeds many many times during my commute.

KayK said:   I've seen crazies zig zag (in SUV's no less) at similar speeds many many times during my commute.So you've come face to face with locis/lobis/lobokux/museki/zokuti?

Hopefully you were holding a black cell phone to your ear and have dark tint on your windows.
  

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
KayK said:   I've seen crazies zig zag (in SUV's no less) at similar speeds many many times during my commute.
So you've come face to face with locis/lobis/lobokux/museki/zokuti/wonaxo?

Hopefully you were holding a black cell phone to your ear and have dark tint on your windows.
  

  fixed

I am not your lawyer.

https://dmv.ny.gov/tickets-received-another-state

What happens if I get a traffic ticket in another state?

Your NYS Driver License will be suspended if you fail to answer a ticket for a moving violation in any state except Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon or Wisconsin. Your license will remain suspended until you answer the ticket. Likewise, drivers from any state, except those from the six states listed above, will have their driver licenses suspended in their own state for failure to answer a moving violation in New York State.

The New York State DMV does not record out-of-state convictions of moving traffic violations of New York State non-commercial licensed drivers, except for traffic offenses committed in the provinces of Ontario and Quebec in Canada.

https://dmv.ny.gov/tickets/about-nys-driver-point-systemOut-of-state convictionsIf you are convicted of a traffic violation in another state or country, points are not added to your New York State driving record, unless the violation occurred in Ontario or Quebec.

^^ OP.. I'd listen to him if I were you. ^^

mapatsfan said:   
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
KayK said:   I've seen crazies zig zag (in SUV's no less) at similar speeds many many times during my commute.
So you've come face to face with locis/lobis/lobokux/museki/zokuti/wonaxo/yetom?

Hopefully you were holding a black cell phone to your ear and have dark tint on your windows.
  

  fixed

fixed  

Thanks, hadn't yet seen the 7th(and counting) of his multiple personalities.

#8 and counting.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
mapatsfan said:   
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
KayK said:   I've seen crazies zig zag (in SUV's no less) at similar speeds many many times during my commute.
So you've come face to face with locis/lobis/lobokux/museki/zokuti/wonaxo/yetom/pukelo?

Hopefully you were holding a black cell phone to your ear and have dark tint on your windows.
  

  fixed

fixed  

#8 is now PM'ing me with his videos of "field agent activities," as though I'd be interested or believe the fantasies.  As Bugs Bunny says, "What a marooon!"

Oh boy, here we go again 

BrianGa said:   
What happens if I get a traffic ticket in another state?

Your NYS Driver License will be suspended if you fail to answer a ticket for a moving violation in any state except Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon or Wisconsin. 

you should be rewarded if you fail to respond to answer one for a moving violation in CA. i think some states don't really talk to each other, so they get what's coming to them as a result 



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017