• filter:

i, for one, have never been

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
re-accommodated. i think in the hundreds of flights that i took, they only asked for volunteers once or twice, so very rare have i had the opportunity.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Me neither. If I had been, I would have made a HUGE fuss and you probably would have seen me on the news.

rated:
On my last trip a week ago, I had total of 4 flights, all of which were for United. They overbooked for all of those and were looking for volunteers. I almost volunteered for one because my seating sucked, but after learning that my seating would have been just as bad in alternative flight, I declined. Fortunately they didn't beat me up, attempt to assassinate me nor challenge me for a battle of wit.

Afterward, I read an article that says we should never volunteer for those. The logic is that if we were forced to give up our seat for some reason, the airline is required to give us certain amount of compensation, and that most-likely will be higher than whatever they offer initially to get someone to volunteer.

rated:
I have been trying to re-accommodate people in meetings that raises issues without resolutions.

rated:
I've been re-accommodated into first class a few times, but I took it on the chin like the trooper I am.

rated:
The last time I traveled by air was 9 years ago to Seattle. It was inconvenient back then and I was not re-accommodated but there is good public trans into downtown from SEA-TAC.

rated:
I've volunteered to take another flight a number of times. I was college age and had the time, and the reimbursement made the flight free.

rated:
kamalktk said:   I've volunteered to take another flight a number of times. I was college age and had the time, and the reimbursement made the flight free.
  I think I heard on the news this morning that United offered $800 in vouchers for future travel, not in cash or even as a single voucher. 

rated:
I've offered to volunteer a few times, never taken up on the offer.

AirTran once left me in Atlanta overnight, missed connection. They put me up and bumped me to business. It pays to be nice to the gate agents although I would have rather it been on the back end, rather than taking a day out of a long weekend trip.

rated:
kirbydog said:   kamalktk said:   I've volunteered to take another flight a number of times. I was college age and had the time, and the reimbursement made the flight free.
  I think I heard on the news this morning that United offered $800 in vouchers for future travel, not in cash or even as a single voucher. 

They should consider in the future making better offers.

rated:
Last October I flew United to Shanghai. On the way back I'm at the gate looking at the plane. The mechanics had parts of the engine in pieces. I knew this plane wasn't going anywhere. They made an announcement the flight was cancelled. They bused us all to a hotel. They gave us all food and a room.

The next day they bus us all back to the airport. The flight finally takes off. I get home over a day late. United sent me an email with a link to accept a $250 voucher. I accepted it and used it for a flight to San Francisco.

United's service I find on the poor side, but what are you going to do. There are only a few major carriers, and maybe only one going where, and when, you want to go. Service may be lousy, but they're a bit less lousy on overseas flights, maybe because they can charge more/are more profitable.

Next month I'm flying United to Berlin. I used frequent flyer miles plus $100 for added fees, for this flight. Being I'm flying on award travel, if bumping happens, I'm probably on the garbage passenger list. If you see someone on YouTube being hog-tied and thrown out of the plane, it might be me.

rated:
I volunteered for Mr. HorB and myself twice and it worked out very well. The first time we were flying on Superbowl Sunday and the last leg of our flight was LAX to SJC right in the middle of the game.  He got to watch the whole game in a sports bar, we flew on two hours later, and we got vouchers for two round trips anywhere in the U.S. or Canada.  I looked at their route map and chose Toronto a few months later.  We went to Niagara Falls and saw some plays.  On that trip I booked a hotel with a long French name.  Unbeknownst to us, it was sold and changed names before we got there.  So when Mr. HorB asked the desk clerk to slowly pronounce the name for him, the clerk obliged with

HOW 

ARD  

JOHN 

SON.

rated:
oh horb, you are delightful.

rated:
burgerwars said:   Last October I flew United to Shanghai. On the way back I'm at the gate looking at the plane. The mechanics had parts of the engine in pieces. I knew this plane wasn't going anywhere. They made an announcement the flight was cancelled. They bused us all to a hotel. They gave us all food and a room.

The next day they bus us all back to the airport. The flight finally takes off. I get home over a day late. United sent me an email with a link to accept a $250 voucher. I accepted it and used it for a flight to San Francisco.

I had similar happen last year with a Delta flight back from London, but the EU passenger protection law kicked in and Delta coughed up more than the roundtrip tickets cost in the first place. Plus we got an extra evening out in London. Did have to pay $20 more for parking this end though :mad:

rated:
It's a perfectly cromulent word.

rated:
Happens to me every month on Chicago-NY-Chicago flights.  But since I have to be at the office or back home at certain hour, I never volunteer. Weird thing is that if I get to the airport early and try to catch an earlier flight, most of the time they let me get on without any fuss but sometime they want me to pay extra $$ even if there are seats available.  At times, I've seen them announcing in the terminal area (Hello Marine Terminal at LGA) looking to see if anyone wants to get on the earlier flight. After years of travels, it's still a mystery to me how they operate the airlines. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017