do you clean items you get at thrift stores?

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
some people go to thrift stores, some do not. some don't go because of the "ick factor." but if there's an "ick factor," can it be removed?

obviously you're gonna wash clothes you buy at a thrift store. some people will have their rules about that, as well. some wash everything, and some just wash stuff if it smells or is otherwise known to be dirty

what do you clean when you buy from a thrift store? or when you buy used in general?

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
I clean everything I buy from a thrift store, which isn't much and doesn't include clothes.  The ick factor is strong in this one.

If I buy just before my annual bath, I don't. Why bother? If it's just after, I do, if I still haven't drained the bathtub.

mmm, ick factor^^!
Everything washable, but I am off almost all second hand since bed bugs became more prevalent.
Damn those French!
Kind of a bummer since second hand can be fun and interesting.

sublimosa said:   mmm, ick factor^^!
Everything washable, but I am off almost all second hand since bed bugs became more prevalent.
Damn those French!
Kind of a bummer since second hand can be fun and interesting.

Detecting bed bugs in the second hand stuff is pretty easy, even for the blind.  Bring the stuff home, and put it in your bed.  Hop into bed and take a nap.  If you wake up covered with bites, then you should return the items.

I scored this Maybach shirt on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maybach-Polo-Shirt-Adult-Size-Large-Yell... and didn't wash it before wearing. Seemed washed before I got it.

riznick you is bad!
/runs to find the lavasoap and an sos pad

I wash everything I buy before using it. Doesn't matter if it's brand new or previously owned. My wife laughs at me because I wash brand new clothes.

overclock said:   I wash everything I buy before using it. Doesn't matter if it's brand new or previously owned. My wife laughs at me because I wash brand new clothes.
How did you fit the tv into a dishwasher?

overclock said:   I wash everything I buy before using it. Doesn't matter if it's brand new or previously owned. My wife laughs at me because I wash brand new clothes.
Why would your wife laugh at that? New clothes are always supposed to be washed before wearing. Clothing manufacturers use a lot of chemicals that need to be removed before the clothes are worn. *judges Mrs. OC*

I wash pretty much everything I buy, new or used, clothing or otherwise. Except books, printer paper and things like that. But I probsbly would if it was practical to do so.

I get a lot of stuff at thrift stores, mostly clothes. Borderline addiction.
I don't get the ick factor at all. For me a stay at a hotel, sleeping in hotel sheets, wiping my face with hotel towel is just as ick as wearing thrift store clothes. At least I know my purchased items get washed thoroughly. I always wash everything. Twice.

kamalktk said:   
How did you fit the tv into a dishwasher?

It was tough.  I bought a 65" LG LCD TV back in February right before the Superbowl, I mean big game.  Water went everywhere but it was clean by golly.

What's a thrift store?

This stuff doesn't bother me much anymore. Maybe I was desensitized when I was an EMT and routinely had every bodily liquid (and solid) on me.

I work for thrift stores & yes, wash clothing before wearing. I did get a lone bedbug once, these things bite in groups of three.

I wash everything before wearing that is washable, especially if purchased in-store. I won't dry clean new clothing, but rarely choose stuff that cannot be laundered. It removes sizing (Commonly formaldehyde is used) and other chemicals. 

Most thrift shops in this area have a BO or unwashed clothing smell which has to either come from the merchandise or from the people. 

moonbeam said:   
Why would your wife laugh at that? New clothes are always supposed to be washed before wearing. Clothing manufacturers use a lot of chemicals that need to be removed before the clothes are worn. *judges Mrs. OC*

not only chemicals, but stuff happens in shipping. i have heard of insects being on brand new clothing when the box was opened to put it out on the sales floor

morecowbell said:   
moonbeam said:   

not only chemicals, but stuff happens in shipping. i have heard of insects being on brand new clothing when the box was opened to put it out on the sales floor

♪
A beautiful bunch a'ripe banana
(Daylight come and he wan' go home)
Hide thee deadly black tarantula

(no, I don't typically wear bananas)

Canucklehead said:   What's a thrift store?
  It's where you can buy metal lids for pots and pans.

morecowbell said:   
moonbeam said:   

It is likely and not uncommon that fleas and head lice are carried by customers/employees. I give a wide berth to coughers, scratchers, etc. 

Nope

We have bought many toys for the LIL-KK for dirt cheap prices from thrift stores.
We clean it pretty well with lysol and stuff before giving it to LIL-KK.
Stuffed toys go through washing machine if possible.

Regular books cant really be washed or cleaned with lysol.. so we just wipe them with a baby-wipe or something.

I am in my forties, have shopped at thrift stores all my life, and have never gotten fleas/lice/scabies/creeping crud from wearing thrift store clothing, even (gasp!) trying it on before I washed it. As far as things to worry about, this rates pretty low on my list. Kind of like the whole public toilet seat phobia-do you really think your azz is that much cleaner/less germy than everyone else's?

I was sorting through undies on the clearance rack at Macy's and suddenly came to a soiled (yes, in the way you are thinking) pair hanging on a hanger. I asked a store clerk to come over with a tissue and a bag and pointed out the offending garment.

People can be pigs. 

clangle said:   I am in my forties, have shopped at thrift stores all my life, and have never gotten fleas/lice/scabies/creeping crud from wearing thrift store clothing, even (gasp!) trying it on before I washed it. As far as things to worry about, this rates pretty low on my list. Kind of like the whole public toilet seat phobia-do you really think your azz is that much cleaner/less germy than everyone else's?
  Of course mine is.
my remarks about fleas, etc. are about stores/public places in general, not thrift shops.

You can't be serious!

I never have bought cloth from thrift shops but a kid I know does it for extra income since he know what they are worth online.

I just picked up a good bridge camera from a local American Cancer Society shop, seems to be brand new and it's $350 on Amazon. They also have some real nice art works there.

clangle said:   I am in my forties, have shopped at thrift stores all my life, and have never gotten fleas/lice/scabies/creeping crud from wearing thrift store clothing, even (gasp!) trying it on before I washed it. As far as things to worry about, this rates pretty low on my list. Kind of like the whole public toilet seat phobia-do you really think your azz is that much cleaner/less germy than everyone else's?
i worked for a number of years at a facility that did vocational training for adults with developmental disabilities. it was there that i learned the concept of "universal precautions." it's not that i think my azz is cleaner/less germy than anyone else's. i take precautions just in case it is.

since then, i have worked with people who would pick their noses and immediately use the same fax machine as everyone else in the office. i don't think that everyone does this, but i am wary of the fella that does

kirbydog said:   
  I wash everything before wearing that is washable, especially if purchased in-store. I won't dry clean new clothing, but rarely choose stuff that cannot be laundered. It removes sizing (Commonly formaldehyde is used) and other chemicals. 

Most thrift shops in this area have a BO or unwashed clothing smell which has to either come from the merchandise or from the people. 

You need to mention this to the staff.

pacificgrovecity said:   kirbydog said:   

You need to mention this to the staff.

What are they going to do? Add BO sniffers at the entrance to restrict access to the "odorous"?

HorB said:   I was sorting through undies on the clearance rack at Macy's and suddenly came to a soiled (yes, in the way you are thinking) pair hanging on a hanger. I asked a store clerk to come over with a tissue and a bag and pointed out the offending garment.

People can be pigs. 

I've encountered the same in Bloomingdales. I've also had the sales assistant offer to let me try on packaged thongs there.

Kandykornhead said:   
morecowbell said:   
moonbeam said:   

♪
A beautiful bunch a'ripe banana
Hide thee deadly black tarantula

Bananas also carry fruit fly larva. I generally cut off and discard the top, then wash the individual bananas, prior to placing them in my fruit bowl. DNW fly maggots. 

morecowbell said:   
moonbeam said:   

I've had insects hatch from hand made wool rugs. Also, I've noticed they're often very dirty even when brand new. Apparently craftspeople generally work on these rugs outside, so it's a good idea to clean them thoroughly before use.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017