• filter:

the one that got away - missed purchases

  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
maybe you were on the fence about something and didn't buy it, then later on decided that you really should have. or maybe you had no intention of buying something, but then the hindsight shows that you should have been all about it. or maybe you really, really wanted to buy something, but the $20 that the plasma center would have given you for a donation wouldn't cover the purchase. whatever the case is, what is the purchase(s) that got away?

for me -

vox modeling amplifier for $20 at the swap meet. i had no way to test it, and so i figured i didn't want to buy something that may not work. but in retrospect, it probably did work, as it was a relatively new item

another one was a carvin tube amp. i just never made it by the store that was selling it. i finally made it by after some job interview, as i had some free time. they had just sold it . in retrospect, i should have upped my effort to get to the store, as the used reviews of the amp model makes it very desirable, and more so as carvin is a local company (more like WAS local, but that's a longer topic)

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Amazon stock in the late 90's. Thought about it, invested elsewhere, what a total &$^#ing dillweed.

rated:
This topic is too sad.

rated:

Order (48.35kB)
Disclaimer
I had the opportunity to get a second toughpad.. the 32gb version for $150 during the fire sale. I actually got it but then I got the 16 GB one for $100 so I cancelled.. yes.. cancelled.. the 32GB order.

I could have sold that 32GB version for atleast $200 just a couple days later.

rated:
My Russian bride. Que Sera Sera

rated:
MilleniumBuc said:   My Russian bride. Que Sera Sera
Don't you mean
Буду будет

rated:
I have a place I like to spend lots of money and they post sale items on their forum. Many have gotten away. I regret nothing, but damn some are gone in 10 minutes. But I did hesitate once. That is not good.

rated:
overclock said:   MilleniumBuc said:   My Russian bride. Que Sera Sera
Don't you mean
Буду будет

That's what she said.

rated:
Should have purchased couple of properties 4-5 years ago for < $200k, they're going like hot cakes for over $400k now a days. 

rated:
Made some good coin on HP Touchpads... and accessories later!

For me it was at Amazon. Size 22 basketball shoes for $15. Wife wouldn't let me. "What would you do with them?" "Wear Them", I said. "How?"... "I'll put my regular shoes inside" I responded.

Where can you get a pair of clown shoes for $15? I think she thought the ladies would be all over me... ie, size of shoes etc... (wink)

rated:
For me it was August of 2013. I was standing in line at a convenience store and saw a package of Twix candy bars that looked great. But, I had learned from FWF not to make impulse buys, so I decided I would wait until the next day to see if I really wanted those two delicious Twix bars. Unfortunately, the next day I learned I had celiac disease and could never have gluten (and thus Twix bars) again. What a mistake.

Thanks FWF.

rated:
1) I've purchased 7 or 8 NES Classics but I never wanted one for myself. Now I'm regretting being so nice. I actually had my source text me while I was in Louisville saying his store had 3 of them....of course the one time I'm not 10 minutes away it happens. 

2) Remember Flappy Bird? The game that went viral and then was quickly pulled from the app store? In the days right after it was pulled, phones with the app on it sold for up to $50k. I had it on my phone. I sold my phone to a friend in need of a new one rather than listing mine for sale on Amazon or CL. So much regret. 

rated:
Canucklehead said:   

For me it was at Amazon. Size 22 basketball shoes for $15. Wife wouldn't let me. "What would you do with them?" "Wear Them", I said. "How?"... "I'll put my regular shoes inside" I responded.

Where can you get a pair of clown shoes for $15? I think she thought the ladies would be all over me... ie, size of shoes etc... (wink)
 

  
Would have made for a great Halloween costume of "Doug" or "Quail Man".

rated:
ganda said:   Amazon stock in the late 90's. Thought about it, invested elsewhere, what a total &$^#ing dillweed.
I bought 100 shares of AAPL in 2007 for around $8000. At the time, I considered investing $50,000, but I decided it was better to diversify. Now, with stock splits and dividends, I have over 700 shares and my original $8000 AAPL investment has a market value of $105,000 (not including the cash dividends I've taken). F*ck diversification, I should have put it all on black.

rated:
moonbeam said:   ganda said:   Amazon stock in the late 90's. Thought about it, invested elsewhere, what a total &$^#ing dillweed.
I bought 100 shares of AAPL in 2007 for around $8000. At the time, I considered investing $50,000, but I decided it was better to diversify. Now, with stock splits and dividends, I have over 700 shares and my original $8000 AAPL investment has a market value of $105,000 (not including the cash dividends I've taken). F*ck diversification, I should have put it all on black.
Similar story.
A coworker of mine sold about 250 stocks of AAPL because he needed some money to buy a house.
He sold it for around $21 each summer of 2001.. for a total of $5250.
That November the iPod came out.
Those 250 shares, after splits and everything, would be worth $514500 today.

rated:
MilleniumBuc said:   
overclock said:   
MilleniumBuc said:   My Russian bride. Que Sera Sera
Don't you mean
Буду будет

That's what she said.

 что будет, то будет  

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017