• filter:

Would anyone pay $5 for a "gourmet" sandwich from McDonald's?

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
I just did yesterday, and it was very good. I had the crispy chicken with the sweet BBQ and bacon on an artisan bun and it was delicious. I think they are using something similar to sweet baby ray BBQ sauce.

rated:
How about a gourmet Big Mac?

rated:
kamalktk said:   How about a gourmet Big Mac?
  There's the Grand Mac .  A Big Mac but a "more bigger" Big Mac.  I've heard it's being phased-out and hasn't been offered everywhere.  As far as it being "gourmet," In-N-Out is better but it's still a decent burger.

rated:
MilleniumBuc said:   I just did yesterday, and it was very good. I had the crispy chicken with the sweet BBQ and bacon on an artisan bun and it was delicious. I think they are using something similar to sweet baby ray BBQ sauce.
  Nice! Glad to hear they're good. Did you have to wait longer than usual for it, or was it just as fast as other sandwiches?

rated:
mahoganypoet said:   MilleniumBuc said:   I just did yesterday, and it was very good. I had the crispy chicken with the sweet BBQ and bacon on an artisan bun and it was delicious. I think they are using something similar to sweet baby ray BBQ sauce.
  Nice! Glad to hear they're good. Did you have to wait longer than usual for it, or was it just as fast as other sandwiches?

It was on the drive thru, and it took about the same time as my usual orders, which are plain, which take about 30 seconds more.

Now a days, the drive thrus feel longer until you pay because of the chips on the credit cards. Once you pay, I haven't had to move forward to the little waiting space like I used to.

rated:
  Is that like a Cheese Royale?

rated:
atikovi said:   kamalktk said:   How about a gourmet Big Mac?
  Is that like a Cheese Royale?

Le Big Mac

rated:
I don't think $5 is unreasonable for a sandwich. What does a regular Big Mac go for? $3 or so?

rated:
clangle said:   I don't think $5 is unreasonable for a sandwich. What does a regular Big Mac go for? $3 or so?

I remember when I was a poor student and they'd go on sale for $1 and I'd have 3 [/onion belt]

$5 is too close to higher end fast food, I'd rather have Five Guys (like fasttimes's Mom)

rated:
Most people get a combo with fries and a drink for around $7. Five Guys is way overpriced. The same items would total over twice that.

rated:
atikovi said:   Most people get a combo with fries and a drink for around $7. Five Guys is way overpriced. The same items would total over twice that.

With Five Guys I never order a side with my burger. Just the burger, drink and a scoop of those free peanuts.

rated:
i thought mcdonalds was already gourmet?

rated:
Seems most places are at least $10 nowadays around here. $5 is a better price, so yeah, I'd do it.

rated:
Depends on if I get a Frork with it...

rated:
The instructions on the wrapper say that you have to hold out your pinky fingers while eating them or they're not gourmet.

rated:
Connman said:   Depends on if I get a Frork with it...
  Frork You!

rated:
atikovi said:   Most people get a combo with fries and a drink for around $7. Five Guys is way overpriced. The same items would total over twice that.
My combo with the special sandwich was about 8.50 yesterday, with medium fries and drink.

rated:
MilleniumBuc said:   
My combo with the special sandwich was about 8.50 yesterday, with medium fries and drink.

What is this "special" sandwich you speak of? My closest 5G, http://gofiveguys.com/menu/bethesda-auto-park-ave would be over $15 with tax for a cheeseburger, regular fries and drink.

rated:
Was talking about McDonald's from OP. More expensive than typical McDonald's fare.

rated:
I wouldn't eat anything from McD even if it was free. Yuck. 

rated:
It's not bad at all. Yes, I about tried all the yuppie burgers out there and McD ones compares well.

rated:
burgerwars said:   kamalktk said:   How about a gourmet Big Mac?
  There's the Grand Mac .  A Big Mac but a "more bigger" Big Mac.  I've heard it's being phased-out and hasn't been offered everywhere.  As far as it being "gourmet," In-N-Out is better but it's still a decent burger.

I meant a gourmet version of the Big Mac, not just more Mac. I'd definitely try it.

rated:
I had the "gourmet" sandwich today, my mcdonalds is give a free fry and drink with purchase of sandwich, so it was $5 for a combo. You specify your toppings (guacamole, bacon, or barbeque sauce), then choose either a hamburger patty, breaded chicken or baked chicken, and then choose either a sesame seed bun or an artisan bun.

rated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YDTfEhChgw

Sometimes there's a loose fry in the bag, the bonus fry. It's like Jesus is up in heaven saying 'give him an extra fry, he'll pay it forward.'

rated:
I was hoping for a gourmet fish sandwich. 

rated:
Gourmet is such an overused terms in the last 30 years that it's practically meaningless. They even have "gourmet" beef jerky and hot dogs.

rated:
ach1199 said:   I was hoping for a gourmet fish sandwich. 

As a former McDonalds employee, the only food I wouldn't order is the fish.

rated:
Why?

rated:
They hardly sell any. Let's just say the probability of neglect is much higher.  I saw rules more frequently get broken by employees when it came to fish.

Say you cook 4 fish.  Only one gets sold.  The other 3 fish can only sit in the heating tray for say 30 minutes.  That heating tray timer might get reset once or twice by an employee who doesn't want to throw away the fish.  I've caught people doing that.  McDonalds requires that employees toss the fish, but for some reason some employees just hate to waste food.  You are less likely to see that behavior happen with anything else because everything else moves quickly.

Keep in mind that contrary to what some may think, McDonalds does have among the highest standards of cleanliness and safety when it comes to food.  Even with the "neglect", their fish is still probably handled better than other restaurants.   It's also been decades since I worked there, and things may be different today.

rated:
Better to stick with the freshness of the Big Mac and fries.

rated:
kamalktk said:   
burgerwars said:   

I meant a gourmet version of the Big Mac, not just more Mac. I'd definitely try it.

Artisanal shredded iceberg lettuce!

rated:
riznick said:   They hardly sell any. 
  I doubt that. McDonalds wouldn't have it on the menu at least the last 40 years if it wasn't popular. It's a very good fish sandwich. 

rated:
One hour old fish is nothing compared to when I worked at a company-owned Taco Bell. Ground beef and beans could sit unserved for half a day. Worse, any beans and beef that was still left over when the store closed would be mixed in with the first batch prepared the next morning. We also served coffee (a very slow seller). One manager would tell us to keep any old coffee leftover at closing in the refrigerator. We would heat that up again in the morning and serve that.

This was also a very long time ago. Maybe things are different.

rated:
atikovi said:   
riznick said:   They hardly sell any. 
  I doubt that. McDonalds wouldn't have it on the menu at least the last 40 years if it wasn't popular. It's a very good fish sandwich. 

Okay, whatever.  Don't take my word for it.  I did work at multiple McDs in multiple cities, though.  I'm sure there were other reasons they carried the fish.

There was always a half slice of cheese turning color because it's been so long since the last filet of fish was sold.

Fridays were the only day that the fish sales were okay.  Other times when fish might sell well was after certain church groups got out, (like Wednesday nights).

rated:
soundtechie said:   I had the "gourmet" sandwich today, my mcdonalds is give a free fry and drink with purchase of sandwich, so it was $5 for a combo. You specify your toppings (guacamole, bacon, or barbeque sauce), then choose either a hamburger patty, breaded chicken or baked chicken, and then choose either a sesame seed bun or an artisan bun.I rec'd an email today from McDonald's advertising the Signature Crafted Recipe sandwiches with free medium fries and drink from 5/04/2017- 05/08/2017 at participating U.S. McDonald’s.  YMMV. 

rated:
does it say you need a coupon?  I tried getting it today, and they would not honor the deal.

rated:
luvdoublebrats said:   does it say you need a coupon?  I tried getting it today, and they would not honor the deal.
I didn't set it when I went either, but I did get an email about it. It could be one of those that only some do it. Check at their website to see if it's there.

rated:
luvdoublebrats said:   does it say you need a coupon?  I tried getting it today, and they would not honor the deal.
Do you know Ronald McDonald's secret handshake? You need to know the secret handshake.

rated:
Ok. When you hit it it takes you to something that says valid from 5/4/17!to 5/8/17 at participating McDonald's, site below.

https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/whats-hot/signature-crafted.h...

Skipping 11 Messages...
rated:
You will most definitely find better burgers outside of In-N-Out, but you will never find a better value. Even with recent price increases, a double double for just over $3 or a meal for about $7 is an awesome deal. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017