• filter:

Armrest on the plane

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I was on an 8 hour flight yesterday where I am the aisle seat in an economy row. I was group A so I got to my row before everyone else. I sat down and I am minding my own business watching people board the plane and then out of nowhere this big guy comes to sit down in the middle seat and with full force is trying to knock my arm out of the armrest. He is clearly trying to say he owns the armrest. I've traveled a lot and this has never been a problem. Either we both find part of the armrest to share or we both end up sharing a little bit of it. So before takeoff we are both wrestling for the armrest, he is trying to takeover the whole thing, I've given him most of it but my elbow with my arm extending straight is still touching it. The only way for it not to touch it is if I tilt sideways.  He doesn't like that part of my arm is on the armrest he wants all of it so he can bend his arms and be fully comfortable. 

So 30 minutes into the flight it keeps going and he gets upset and says the armrest is his because I am Aisle so I don't have the right to it. At this point I knew I wanted to beat the shit out of him so I let it go and he could have the armrest.
Princess over there was sitting with his arms bent so his elbow was digging into my arm which was not on the armrest. When he ate his food he didn't care that I was next to him he bent his arms and poked at me each time.

I didn't say or do anything. What the F was I going to do? Fight him and have the flight turn around? so the whole flight I sat uncomfortable unable to move my right arm because he had not only take the armrest but was in my space too with his elbow.

I could have easily have nudged at him when he was sleeping woke him up every single time made his flight miserable. Fought my way and took over the armrest, but then what? He would bitch and the flight would be turned around.

What would the flight attendant have done? 

Looking back I wish I had made his flight miserable and fought him the whole way for the armrest. Clearly would have escalated into some kind of fight or big scene on the plane but I don't care now. I was just so ready to go home I didn't want nothing to delay my return. 

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Sue!

Clearly you experienced staggering emotional damages and should be entitled to millions in compensation. No, billions!

rated:
I get it. The armrest struggle is real. The minute someone gives up any bit of it, the other person will take it...

That said...
- The middle seat is pretty tight. Would you prefer the middle seat and that armrest or the aisle seat without that armrest? Would you exchange seats with him in exchange for the armrest?
- I'd probably base it off the headphone jack or recline button... Whomever that is for should get the arm rest. That would probably be you if I remember correctly.
- If you two were my kids, I'd raise the armrest and then that battle would be done.

rated:
Southwest doesn't turn planes around for this. They show the troublemakers the door at 35,000 feet

rated:
Whatever happened to the airlines charging overweight people for two seats? Did they never start doing that?

rated:
Southwest make overweight people buy 2 seats.

I've long been of the opinion that an airline ticket should be to move a maximum amount of weight, say 300lbs, and if that's 300lbs of human or 100lbs of human with 200lbs of baggage it should make no difference. Extra charges kick in over that set weight.

rated:
Here is a tip - if you smell or do disgusting things, like pick your nose and such, maybe he wont want to be so close to you and you can have the armrest

rated:
SilverII said:   Here is a tip - if you smell or do disgusting things, like pick your nose and such, maybe he wont want to be so close to you and you can have the armrest
Put your boogers on the armrest.   

rated:
He sounds like a complete a-hole, but my coach etiquette guide says middle seat sucks so they get 2 armrests, the better aisle and window seats get one each.

rated:
ganda said:   He sounds like a complete a-hole, but my coach etiquette guide says middle seat sucks so they get 2 armrests, the better aisle and window seats get one each.
  IIRC, you are not a smallish person.  I think I'd be sympathetic to a bigger person as far as armrest real estate goes.  i.e. if I'm uncomfortable, just think about how this big yak over here feels.    

rated:
Kandykornhead said:   
ganda said:   He sounds like a complete a-hole, but my coach etiquette guide says middle seat sucks so they get 2 armrests, the better aisle and window seats get one each.
  IIRC, you are not a smallish person.  I think I'd be sympathetic to a bigger person as far as armrest real estate goes.  i.e. if I'm uncomfortable, just think about how this big yak over here feels.    

You calling me fat?

I'm 6-2, and not a pencil neck, but I keep myself to my seat and expect others to do the same. If someone is oozing into my seat we have a problem, the oozer needs to be more considerate and book themselves an appropriate seat(s).

rated:
Let's start some fights and have Ganda finish them!

rated:
^
In all seriousness, had I been that doctor who was assaulted on the United flight from Chicago, and I had been traveling alone without my family, I wouldn't have taken that shit.

I used to fly a lot and it was OK. Flying today sucks.

rated:

I wish everyone felt this way.

Recently I had the middle seating.  The guy on the window side insisted on trying to take over my side of arm rest and spread his knee out to take as much space as he can.  We ended up having elbow pushing match.

rated:
I'm sooo looking forward to my flight later this month.

rated:
Armrest fights are real, and more so if the person next to you pushes it up.

Several years ago I boarded a commuter flight from SFO to Burbank on a small commuter jet. When I walked to my seat, the big man next to me already had the armrest up, and part of his body was bulging into my space. He was so big the airline should have made him buy two seats. This did have a happy ending. The plane was only half full, and the flight attendant made an announcement that they needed three volunteers from the front of the plane to move to the back for weight distribution. I pulled out my right arm as quickly as I could from its squeezed in position between me and the fat man, and raised my hand. I moved to the back, next to a thin passenger.

rated:
burgerwars said:   Armrest fights are real, and more so if the person next to you pushes it up.

Several years ago I boarded a commuter flight from SFO to Burbank on a small commuter jet. When I walked to my seat, the big man next to me already had the armrest up, and part of his body was bulging into my space. He was so big the airline should have made him buy two seats.

That's not allowed in my flying rule book. The armrest goes down, and you don't fit you need to sit elsewhere, not take part of someone elses seat. If he's at a restaurant does he reach over to the adjacent table and grab some of their food too? Equally rude.

rated:
I had people "spill" over but I won't put up with arm-rest not able to go down. In some part of world, that probably means you are legally married/

rated:
one time i had a large gentlemen sit between me and my wife. i don't recall how the seating arrangement was set. maybe we selected those seats because i wanted window and she wanted aisle and hoped that nobody would get the middle seat. well, big boy did. but he was nice about it. he basically sat for 5 hours hugging the front seat so his shoulders were out of plane (no pun intended) with us. i got the sense he was use to flying this way...

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017