• filter:

Windows 10 transfer to a new computer

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I was trying to transfer my file from my old windows 10 machine to my new one and it looks like MS is no longer supporting it, they instead send you to a 3rd party company and you have to pay something like 49.99..  Has to be a better cheaper way other then doing this by hand....

Dil

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Hey Dilbertic, I mirrored this into our Technology forum. The gurus there could probably help you out a little more than the yahoos in OT (not that they can't, but you will probably hear more about fasttimes mom than file transfers in OT).

PS, yes KayK, you're a yahoo!

rated:
Your post isn't clear to me...

What do you mean 'MS is no longer supporting it?'  Presumably you're referring to a file you have as MS is of course still supporting Windows 10.

If you have a file you can't open, you either have to find a new version of the file that will work in your current version of Windows or you have to install a virtual machine in which you can emulate running an old version of Windows.  I do not use Windows 10 so I don't know if there's a way for Windows 10 to run the file in compatibility mode or something like that?

If your issue is that you want to move Windows 10 from your current machine to a new machine, I don't think that's possible.  The license is tied to your machine and hardware.  Moving it to a new machine would violate the EULA...  I don't think you'd be able to activate it as the activation server would recognize it as being tied to a different machine than the one you've transferred it to.

rated:
Windows 10 non Boxed version is not transferable at all.
If you have two of the original 3 parts, CPU, memory, hard drive you can 'transfer it' with Microsoft's help. (Sometimes it's automatic)

But to a wholly different computer? You need a new key. See the hot deals forum.

rated:
Well, we still don't know what OP means by transfer file.

- Did the old PC came with Win10 or was it an upgraded Win7 machine?

- Does the new PC come with any OS at all?

rated:
Dilbertic said:   I was trying to transfer my file from my old windows 10 machine to my new one and it looks like MS is no longer supporting it, they instead send you to a 3rd party company and you have to pay something like 49.99..  Has to be a better cheaper way other then doing this by hand....

Dil

You're talking about Easy Transfer?  That was discontinued and replaced with PCMover, which used to be free.  It's now $15.  Unless you want to transfer apps, which Easy Transfer did not do.  That would require the Pro version which is $45.  PCMover

Do you just want to move your data or are you trying to move everything?

rated:
stuff like this is why i moved to linux 15+ yrs ago.

just sayin'

rated:
morecowbell said:   stuff like this is why i moved to linux 15+ yrs ago.

just sayin'

As if they are comparable to the layman.
If it was, then Microsoft would've gone bankrupt .... faster.

The Mac OS (Which is really linux) is a good example of a layman's linux, but it still isn't free.

rated:
i have helped people switch to ubuntu, and know of more who did it on their own, with no ill effects. i have heard of people putting their grandparents on it, also with no issues

rated:
forbin4040 said:   morecowbell said:   stuff like this is why i moved to linux 15+ yrs ago.

just sayin'

The Mac OS (Which is really linux) is a good example of a layman's linux, but it still isn't free.

Mac is BSD Unix, not Linux. If it was Linux, Linux would have a lot better support for a lot of things.

rated:
morecowbell said:   i have helped people switch to ubuntu, and know of more who did it on their own, with no ill effects. i have heard of people putting their grandparents on it, also with no issues
You can always find 'people' who can do anything.  I'm talking about the 90% not the 10% or less.

rated:
i'm not arguing whether or not you should think something. i am just saying what happened. and the people i am talking about are not "nerds" or "computer people." just people that needed browsers and office applications

i am not sure where the 10% or less figure came from, but that's ok, too. my only point, originally, was that i hear of people having to buy more and more stuff to accomplish things that other people find ways to do for free, or at least much less. seems like sticking to something just because you feel like you have to isn't such a great way to go

rated:
kamalktk said:   
forbin4040 said:   

just sayin'

Mac is BSD Unix, not Linux. If it was Linux, Linux would have a lot better support for a lot of things.

as android is based on linux, it can be argued that it supports quite a lot of things. when you consider the iot stuff, there's even more  

rated:

just sayin'

Stuff like what?  I'm not sure how being on linux changes a user's knowledge of how to move data from one PC to another.

rated:
MVP9596 said:   Hey Dilbertic, I mirrored this into our Technology forum. The gurus there could probably help you out a little more than the yahoos in OT (not that they can't, but you will probably hear more about fasttimes mom than file transfers in OT).

PS, yes KayK, you're a yahoo!
I'm a google damnit!
Atleast make me a bing.
Yahoo.. seesh.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017