• filter:

Propane Tanks

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
To those of you who use an  exchange  tank vs having your own tank filled for gas grill.  My tank was exchange by company called Blue  Rhino Gas.  I just noticed the label says net wt. 15 lbs.  Most all grill tanks are 20lb tanks.  so they are filling them 3/4 full.  What a scam.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
<< What a scam. >>

Yes, RhinoGas are famous for that. Well known thieves.

I use 30 & 40Lbs & get them refilled, but I have read a lot about propane tanks on RV forums.

rated:
The argument in favor of tank exchanges is convenience. Unfortunately, it seemed like whenever I wanted to exchange a tank the person who had the key to unlock the filled ones was unavailable. It ended up being less trouble leaving my tanks with the person refilling them before I go inside to pay and picking them up on the way out. Even before companies started putting less propane in the exchanged tanks, it was cheaper and more convenient to refill than to exchange them. The last tank exchange I did was from an old tank to an OPD one.

rated:
The real scam is in the dates. You have 12 years or so in a new tank, 5 years on a recert.

I exchange when I need a new date on a tank. You only get a few years on average on an exchange tank.

rated:
I sell propane and propane accessories.

rated:
mikebeets said:   << What a scam. >>

Yes, RhinoGas are famous for that. Well known thieves.

I use 30 & 40Lbs & get them refilled, but I have read a lot about propane tanks on RV forums.

I did not know this.  I will take the trouble to go to the propane guy now instead of the exchange cage.  Thanks OP!

rated:
<<  go to the propane guy >>

shop on line first, some outfit have ridiculous prices - SUBURBAN PROPANE one of them

When we are at home, we use True Value , when on the road: Tractor Supply [not all have propane]. Their prices are pretty good. And, we can park a 60' rig 

BJ has good price even without membership, U-Haul are not bad either. & Flying J. 

rated:
Thanks for the info. My local place is a farmer co-op. We have TSC, but they don't have propane.

rated:
What do people pay?

My local hardware store runs $11, $10 before propane tax. I haven't price shopped much because I don't see the need to travel too far to save what, $5 on filling a pair of tanks

rated:
We have been living "on propane" for over 20 years [travel trailer]

We go "to town" every week , 18 miles for WIFI, groceries, & propane about once a month: we have 2 X  30Lbs & 2 X 40Lbs.
We have a 100lbs as emergency [never used it].
Our usage is too small to get a bit tank and have deliveries.

So, we usually carry 3 tanks to town. Cost is ABOUT $ 18.00 for a 30.
Tiger fuel [Exxon] is a bit closer, but costs a lot more.

After a while, it adds up.

rated:
I just got a Blue Rhino exchange because my old tank was more than 12 years old and couldn't be refilled any more.  I looked through all the Blue Rhino tanks until I found one with the most recent mfg. date (2014).

You can get a $3 rebate from Blue Rhino.

If you live in Southern California, Lava sells exchange tanks for the same price as Blue Rhino ($19.99), but fills them to 17 pounds.

rated:
Most Menards locations in the Midwest do propane refills, cost is same as the exchange but they fill the tank to full 20 lbs.

rated:
ach1199 said:   Most Menards locations in the Midwest do propane refills, cost is same as the exchange but they fill the tank to full 20 lbs.

I have a Menards.  Wow.  I have been totally edumacated in this thread.  Viva OT!  

rated:
Wasn't someone in Deal Discussions having kittens over this "scam?" 

geek out, fellow grillers.

rated:
I forgot a detail about refills:

check that they charge by gallon or pound, not by tank capacity.
BJ will charge for a 20 or 30 or 40Lb, even if the tank was half full. Make sure then that your tank is empty if you go there.

Tractor Supply, Flying J, True Value, ... will charge by gallon or pound

rated:
My local hardware store does charge per tank. I have 4 total that I've collected free over the years so I make sure to use it all up first.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017