Today was charity fill up a brown bag with cans curb pickup day.

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Today was charity fill up a brown bag with cans curb pickup day. Of the dozen plus houses I can see from my driveway only my household & one other contributed. Sickens me. It's an upscale neighborhood.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Maybe your neighbors send monetary contributions instead? We do a food drive at work and some employees prefer to send checks rather than buying food with the belief that the food bank to which we contribute can make the money stretch farther.

zapjb said:    It's an upscale neighborhood.
  Don't know many upscale people that still eat out of cans.

Stop with the self righteous bs. You have absolutely no idea how much your neighbors contribute to charity. Probably a lot more than a few cans of food.

Obviously in addition to cash. Just as obvious are the hostile reply/replies.

I like canned sardines so I'm not upscale. Sad!

ganda said:   I like canned sardines so I'm not upscale. Sad!
  But you also eat cat food so....

zapjb said:   Obviously in addition to cash. Just as obvious are the hostile reply/replies.
  Why would I put out a bag with cans?

They have to pick these up, that costs money. And sort whatever they get, more money. I see charities saying $0.50 buys you a meal for a person. I doubt my ability to buy a meal and get it in a bag for pickup for $0.50. So giving money directly to charity seems like a more effective use of my money. And non financially, the charity can buy whatever is in most need as opposed to 300 cans of green beans because that's what everyone bought, or donating a size small kids jacket when little Timmy wears a large and thus will have to go jacketless. Also Matthew 6:1-4 has something to say about public almsgiving, and I expect most other traditions do as well.

The main benefit I can see for bags of cans is visibly teaching kids lessons in charity.

giving to charity is a good thing. giving to charity to be better than the next person or to say "hey, look what i did" probably misses the mark

kamalktk said:   
The main benefit I can see for bags of cans is visibly teaching kids lessons in charity.

No, it's for those that don't donate to actually donate something. Come to think of it, I do have some 10 year old cans of something, on the top shelf. Should still be good.

We put stuff out and for 2 years in a ROW, nobody came by to pick them up.
We dont even bother with this anymore even though we get the notice in the mailbox.

We dont live in an upscale area but we dont live in a terrible area either.

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2011/12/food_dri... 
Can the Cans
Why food drives are a terrible idea

meade18 said:   http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2011/12/food_dri... 
Can the Cans

Not to mention the liability issues. What happens if a recipient gets food poisoning from a donation that was stored 10 years in a hot pantry?

Feeding America
Our local food bank, that our office has done a food drive for +18 years consecutively, was named the Food Bank of 2016. Alameda County Community Food Bank

atikovi said:   
meade18 said:   http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2011/12/food_dri... 
Can the Cans

Not to mention the liability issues. What happens if a recipient gets food poisoning from a donation that was stored 10 years in a hot pantry?

From my understanding, you're covered under the emmerson act if the intent of donation is good, I find in most cities its easier and better to donate locally. For example I know in Beloit there is a food pantry and a middle school takes donations to give to need students. I use these to get rid of the crap you thought looked good, bought, and never ate!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017