Total eclipse 8/21

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I've just finalized a little trip so we'll be in the path of totality. Where's scenic on the coast of SC around Georgetown?

I've seen a total eclipse before, if you haven't I recommend making a little effort to be in the right place.

Oh, and barbecue.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I read eclipse of the heart while in high school..

Who can I call to have the total eclipse moved further south on the west coast? It's more convenient for me. It's all about me.

click to move the sun
Disclaimer
burgerwars said:   Who can I call to have the total eclipse moved further south on the west coast? It's more convenient for me. It's all about me.
 I don't know his number though.

1-800-UNO-MOON (1-800-866-6666)

\m/

There are four minor league baseball teams playing games DURING the eclipse. They've actually got a programmed stoppage during the games because of the eclipse. Unfortunately for me, the eclipse falls on the first day of classes here. I don't think it would go over well if I cancelled class on the first day of school to go watch a baseball game....

^
I've been wondering how many car crashes there are going to be

Totaled Eclipse
Disclaimer
Totaled Eclipse.
Limo: It's a picture of a totaled Mitsubishi Eclipse.

overclock said:   Totaled Eclipse.
Limo: It's a picture of a totaled Mitsubishi Eclipse.

That'll buff right out.

I told someone in South Carolina that the Total Eclipse in her area would be around 2:40.
She asked "AM or PM?"

She isn't even blonde...

ocean935 said:   I told someone in South Carolina that the Total Eclipse in her area would be around 2:40.
She asked "AM or PM?"

She isn't even blonde...
To be fair.. it does get dark :-P

Chasing the shadow of the moon: To intercept eclipse, Alaska Airlines adjusts flight plan to delight astronomers | Alaska Airlines Blog
Disclaimer

is it safe to watch it through sunglasses?

jesskonop said:   is it safe to watch it through sunglasses?
I recommend visiting your local observatory, they will likely have an event planned and be able to tell you how to safely observe it.

Plastic Eclipse Glasses - Eclipse Shades - Wrap Around Goggle - CE and ISO certified - Includes 2 Bonus Eclipse Shades - Made in USA: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific
Disclaimer
jesskonop said:   is it safe to watch it through sunglasses?
  Nope.

There are eclipse glasses.  There's this pair on Amazon, and a lot of other cheap products.  I wouldn't constantly stare at the sun, even with these.  Doing brief glances you should be OK.  They come with a money back guarantee if there's a problem.  I'm unsure how reassuring that is.  If after the eclipse, I could no longer see after using this product, the least of my problems would be getting my $19.95 back.

You can also buy a solar filter which can be used to view the eclipse and then for taking photos of eclipse or sun in general.

https://www.amazon.com/Solar-Filter-Telescopes-Binoculars-Cameras/dp/B00DS7RO7Y

Copy n paste from my texts to a friend:

Direct viewing is harmful. You can take a pan/bucket of water, and view the reflection. NOT a mirror.
Or they make special glass to view through. NOT regular sunglasses.
You can set your camera/video ahead of time, and later view the result.
Reflection on large bodies of water like ponds or lakes is better, but you are not likely to get a good spot.
Alternately, you can make a pinhole in a piece of cardboard, and view the projection on the ground. Always keep your back towards the sun. DO NOT view the sun directly through the pinhole.
Experiment with the pinhole or water to view the regular sun days before the eclipse so you get the hang of it.
Instead of projecting on the ground, you may use a stiff white cardboard or paper to work as your "screen".
Here's the fun part...
When the moon covers the sun completely (total eclipse), you may look at it with the naked eye.
This year, you will get over 2.5 minutes of it, but only if you travel to the path through South Carolina and other locations.
You can get a fairly decent experience from your back yard, but no naked eye opportunity.

ocean935 said:   Alternately, you can make a pinhole in a piece of cardboard, and view the projection on the ground. Always keep your back towards the sun. DO NOT view the sun directly through the pinhole.
Instead of projecting on the ground, you may use a stiff white cardboard or paper to work as your "screen".
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/solar-viewing-projector

On the following link, you can check how much (% wise, time wise, etc) eclipse will you get in your backyard.
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/interactive_map/index.html

ocean935 said:   Alternately, you can make a pinhole in a piece of cardboard, and view the projection on the ground. Always keep your back towards the sun. DO NOT view the sun directly through the pinhole.

^this I remember learning in high school

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017