• filter:

KKH In Washington, DC!

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Not until late June.  THe annual family vaca, four days and five nights.  Please sign in with tips, tricks, and "can't miss" advice.

p.s.  the world famous burg known as Beloit lies squarely in our path, about halfway through the last return leg.  No promises yet (because I'm not going to set up a visit and then welch out to my everlasting dismay and ridicule, not to get too personal but his initials are Kayk).  But I can't see just driving right on by on a weekday and not stopping to check it out.  

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
The Air & Space Annex at Dulles is

rated:
With all the embassies, and thus restaurants specializing in different cuisines catering to them, try eating at a restaurant specializing in the cuisine of a different country for every meal. Bonus points if it's a country's food you've never tried before.

rated:
For eats and drinks and music I like Georgia Brown's a couple of blocks from the White House. It all be near the Southern embassy I do assume.

rated:
A Russian place? Wednesday night is "karaoke and flirt night", when you can make a fool of yourself and tell people secrets.

rated:
Park the car at hotel and take public transportation. 

rated:
isn't it 3 days to drive each way? How does 4 days/5 nights work if that is the case? 
Have the mini KKHs design and build a tiny house that you can take with you.

rated:
ach1199 said:   Park the car at hotel and take public transportation. 

Green. The few miles around the WH are very walkable and pedestrian friendly, the Metro is modern and efficient. I like DC, I could happily there (well, the nicer parts), lots of good eats and drinks and interesting stuff. Food trucks. Although I've not been there since The Event. 

rated:

rated:
Keep the suggestions coming, and thanks! We are spending four days and five nights in DC, driving there and back. We are booked at a place right next to the Metro and plan to use it instead of driving around.

rated:
I would spend the entire time in the Smithsonian museums, personally.

If you want to see the whole house you have to ask one of your congresscritters

rated:
scrouds said:   I would spend the entire time in the Smithsonian museums, personally.

White House tours have to be booked WAY in advance.

rated:
Kandykornhead said:   Keep the suggestions coming, and thanks! We are spending four days and five nights in DC, driving there and back. We are booked at a place right next to the Metro and plan to use it instead of driving around.
  oh! That makes more sense. 

rated:
SecondGunman said:   scrouds said:   I would spend the entire time in the Smithsonian museums, personally.

White House tours have to be booked WAY in advance.

3 months to 21 days out. Worth a shot if you want to try. Especially being from a less populated state.

rated:
Kandykornhead said:   Not until late June.  
  You'll be sweating like a fat man walking up a flight of stairs just from walking across the parking lot.

rated:
you can write to your senators and attend a breakfast. many senators have them.

rated:
Late June? Impeachment hearing. Something to tell your grandkids about.

rated:
HorB said:   This is all you need, except for more days. 
  And they are all free! Great city to visit. The only museum you need passes is the new African American museum. Way in advance. For Washington monument you need passes, too. But those you can get free the morning of your visit or in advance for couple of dollars online.

rated:
ZenNUTS said:   Late June? Impeachment hearing. Something to tell your grandkids about.
said someone during any presidency, ever

rated:
morecowbell said:   
ZenNUTS said:   Late June? Impeachment hearing. Something to tell your grandkids about.
said someone during any presidency, ever

No one asked you, rebel scum.

rated:
Skip DC and just come hang out with us for a week instead We can put you all to work on the hamster wheels

rated:
We leave tomorrow! Stopping to visit our former dryer in MN first. Watch this space for pics and updates!

rated:
Kandykornhead said:   We leave tomorrow! Stopping to visit our former dryer in MN first. Watch this space for pics and updates!
You keep in touch with your clothes dryer?  

Choosing the right dryer

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
Kandykornhead said:   We leave tomorrow! Stopping to visit our former dryer in MN first. Watch this space for pics and updates!

Choosing the right dryer

Yes.  I somewhat infamously once asked  How much should I charge my in-laws for our used dryer?  After being brutally derided by my OT "friends" for my caddish temerity, I gave it to them.  The in-laws take care of our little dog while we are on vaca, so it's a natural jumping-off point.  Guess I should give them another used major appliance for that.  

rated:
Kandykornhead said:   NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   

Choosing the right dryer

Yes.  I somewhat infamously once asked  How much should I charge my in-laws for our used dryer?  After being brutally derided by my OT "friends" for my caddish temerity, I gave it to them.  The in-laws take care of our little dog while we are on vaca, so it's a natural jumping-off point.  Guess I should give them another used major appliance for that.  

You are a Pastor?!? And here I thought only crazy people hanged out in OT.

rated:
those aren't mutually exclusive

rated:
  Be safe & have fun!

rated:
I loved the "selling to the in-laws" thread. Good times. 
Enjoy your trip!

rated:
MilleniumBuc said:   
Kandykornhead said:   
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   

Choosing the right dryer

You are a Pastor?!?

Newbie!

rated:
Made it to in-laws. The ac in the Durango went out! At least the front did, the back seemed ok. Might be a going, but not gone, resistor. We stopped in Fergus Falls and gave it the Windows 98 treatment, and it started working again. I'm not shelling out for a new resistor just yet, it worked after that for a few hours straight.

We also got a flat from a big nail, but were able to get first to an air hose, then a tire place for a repair.

rated:
Kandykornhead said:   Made it to in-laws. The ac in the Durango went out! At least the front did, the back seemed ok. Might be a going, but not gone, resistor. We stopped in Fergus Falls and gave it the Windows 98 treatment, and it started working again. I'm not shelling out for a new resistor just yet, it worked after that for a few hours straight.

We also got a flat from a big nail, but were able to get first to an air hose, then a tire place for a repair.

Welcome to Minnesota!

rated:
Kandykornhead said:   Made it to in-laws. The ac in the Durango went out! At least the front did, the back seemed ok. Might be a going, but not gone, resistor. We stopped in Fergus Falls and gave it the Windows 98 treatment, and it started working again. I'm not shelling out for a new resistor just yet, it worked after that for a few hours straight.

More importantly, how was your reunion with the clothes dryer?
Glad you arrived safely No AC sounds like a big problem, though.

rated:
Hello from Cincinnati Metro. We're in a flash flood warning, but most of our stuff today is indoors. As for the Durango, it happened again. We stopped at a car wash and cleaned off the AC radiator, then stopped at a Wa1mart for a cabin air filter. We set the cabin temp to 72 and it worked fine the rest of the day. I think it was freezing up and shutting off. Hopefully that drama is over.

rated:
BTW, LaRosa's Pizza is pretty good.

rated:
Kandykornhead said:   Hello from Cincinnati Metro. We're in a flash flood warning, but most of our stuff today is indoors. As for the Durango, it happened again. We stopped at a car wash and cleaned off the AC radiator, then stopped at a Wa1mart for a cabin air filter. We set the cabin temp to 72 and it worked fine the rest of the day. I think it was freezing up and shutting off. Hopefully that drama is over.
Maybe a leak? $20-30 will get you a can of freon with the gauge on it

rated:
Dear KKH, when you take DC, I expect things on the political front to get much better. And if you find that the job is too much for you, do what all great presidents have done: put it all in your wife's capable hands!

Seriously, enjoy your trip and stay cool.

rated:
Visit the NASA Air & Space museum.

Mini KKH's will love it.. and so will you.

ETA: ganda already mentioned that. But seriously. It's awesome.

rated:
KayK said:   Visit the NASA Air & Space museum.

While there, tell them you want to take a ride on the Wright Flyer. They'll say no at first but tell them I sent you.

rated:
scrouds said:   
KayK said:   Visit the NASA Air & Space museum.

While there, tell them you want to take a ride on the Wright Flyer. They'll say no at first but tell them I sent you.

This didn't work.  A man in a dark suit asked us some questions after I mentioned your name.  We spend about half the day there yesterday.  Keeping the Dulles one in the back of my mind.  

Pic shows KKH and the minis on the Mall with Washington Monument

rated:
The pic shows Arlington Memorial bridge, the Lincoln, the Washington, and the unnaturally shiny dome of the Capitol on the right. THis is taken from near Arlington House in the cemetery. Is that LeEnfant's tomb in the foreground? I forget already. Last day today, tomorrow we travel back to MN via BELOIT!

pfs

Skipping 7 Messages...
rated:
kamalktk said:   
Kandykornhead said:   Greetings from relatively bleak Elkhart, IN.  DC is behind us.  Tomorrow my oldest turns 18, I'm visiting FW world HQ in BELOIT! and heading back to the in-laws for a few days vacation from our vacation.  

pics:  the US capitol exterior and one from the rotunda showing John Trumbull's Declaration of Independence.   

What a way to spend your 18th birthday, at FW HQ.

I feel bad he's spending half the day in the car, but vacation is no respecter of birthdays.  

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017