• filter:

Why are there no Jr. women?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Pretty common to have John Smith Jr. but I don't remember seeing a female version like Jane Doe Jr. Why not?

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
A long history of patrilineal descent. Inheritance would go to the son and the daughter would get married off and have to adopt the husband's name.

rated:
As far as I know there's none of this Jr III IV nonsense in my family, it baffles me why people do it. Y'all all invite Billy Bob(and Lil' Billy Bob), Billy Bob Pop, and PopPop Billy Bob over. M'kay.

rated:
ganda said:   Y'all all invite Billy Bob(and Lil' Billy Bob), Billy Bob Pop, and PopPop Billy Bob over. M'kay.
  I could've done, and I mighta should have.  

rated:
Kandykornhead said:   
ganda said:   Y'all all invite Billy Bob(and Lil' Billy Bob), Billy Bob Pop, and PopPop Billy Bob over. M'kay.
  I could've done, and I mighta should have.  

But that's how names that need to be retired persist. I know someone with a pretty stupid, dated name, and he's Stupid Name the 3rd. I guess his father felt obligated, or didn't want him in the first place

rated:
Johnson, it literally means son of John. Ericson etc are the same thing.

rated:
^
That's a Scandinavian thing, stick son on the end of the father's first name to create the child's last name. Somename Kamalson, Somename Gandason etc

Again, doesn't apply to girls.

rated:
ganda said:   ^
That's a Scandinavian thing, stick son on the end of the father's first name to create the child's last name. Somename Kamalson, Somename Gandason etc

Kamal Kamalson is a perfectly cromulent name.

rated:
atikovi said:   Pretty common to have John Smith Jr. but I don't remember seeing a female version like Jane Doe Jr. Why not?
I found a few looking through US Census - I don't remember the years, not that many, but YES.

rated:
I always wonder about the parents that name their son Jr, III, IV, whatever... is narcissism a genetic trait?

rated:
In parts of India woman assumes her husband's first name as her middle name after her the marriage.  So, Seema Chandra marrying to Mohan Singh become Seema Mohan Singh.

rated:
And then there's Iceland.

It's kind of long.  But I found it mildly interesting. 

rated:

Sure it does

rated:
SecondGunman said:   

Sure it does

You're right, and I knew that

rated:
And then there is Wales 

"The ancient Welsh patronymic naming system can cause significant problems for genealogists."
I discover that doing genealogy search around Philadelphia. Was I confused !!! looking for a Jones Cadwalader, I  noticed that his son was Cadwalader Jones 

".... giving a child the father's given, or forename, as a surname. This means that a family's name changes in successive generation."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/history/sites/themes/society/family_0...

rated:
ganda said:   
SecondGunman said:   

Sure it does

You're right, and I knew that

HorB also called it.  The girl I linked is Icelandic.

rated:
That's a Scandinavian thing, stick son on the end of the father's first name to create the child's last name.

Scandinavian, yes, but basically Danish.

While this was/is common in Denmark, it really spread in the world via South Africa when (mostly) uneducated and simpler British settled there. Lacking imagination, they started adopting this method, taking it to new "heights" after a few generations.

Son of John became Johnson.
His son became John Johnson (or Peter Johnson, or whatever Johnson).
His son became John Johnson, son of Johnson Johnson (as opposed to John Johnson, son of Peter Johnson)
and so on...

And the irony is, all this makes total sense to them.

rated:
kamalktk said:   Johnson, it literally means son of John. Ericson etc are the same thing.
David Ben-Gurion -- son of Gurion.  
Brian BenBen -- son of Ben??? 

My wife is a Jr., so it does happen.

rated:
What will the Mini KKH's call their kids? KKH³

rated:
HorB said:   And then there's Iceland. 

It's kind of long.  But I found it mildly interesting. 

It is a shame there is no explanation of what Icelanders do if the father is unknown. Unknownson? BobOrDaveOrSvenson

rated:
I want to have a son and name him soundtechie junior. Then he could have a son named soundtechie junior junior. Then that would make my son soundtechie junior senior. Then if he donated money to start a school, the school could be called....

Wait for it...

Soundtechie junior senior junior high!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017