SecondGunman in Chicago

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I don't usually post my travels, but it seems to be the thing to do lately.....  I'll be in Chi-town June 19-24 for work.  I've already got tickets to see the Cubs vs. Padres at Wrigley Monday night and tickets to catch a taping of Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me on Thursday.  Because it's a work trip I'll be in class from 8:30-5:00 every day, but I'm free for dinner in the evenings if anyone has any suggestions.  I'm staying just outside the loop (about a mile west of Willis Tower) and won't have a car if that helps.  I'm taking a friend with me and she'll be free all day while I'm in class.  Any suggestions for her would also be appreciated.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Go back to Dallas.

Don't shoot! I'm only here to help.

Nuts!

Also, there is a Wienerschnitzel 2 hours south of Chicago in Champaign.

It seems rude not to have a few outrageous steaks and one of those "casseroles in a crust" Chicago style pizzas. Once a year seems my limit on those, nice though they are. If you don't have a car you won't break it in a (deep Dish) pothole

ganda said:   It seems rude not to have a few outrageous steaks and one of those "casseroles in a crust" Chicago style pizzas. Once a year seems my limit on those, nice though they are. If you don't have a car you won't break it in a (deep Dish) pothole

We'll go out for a nice steak dinner one night. One night we're going for a Three Little Pigs sandwich at The Silver Palm. I know the cab fare will eat us alive and I don't care. I've had that sandwich before and I want another one.

I hear class lets out early on Friday. If so, I haven't ruled out the possibility of renting a car and driving to Beloit if I can get there before five.

HorB said:   Nuts!

Also, there is a Wienerschnitzel 2 hours south of Chicago in Champaign.

Nuts on Clark might happen. I had Wienerschnitzel when I lived out on the left coast. I never did see the appeal....

Actually the cab fare to the The Sliver Palm from West Loop should be no more than $10-15.  If the weather is nice, you can do Chicago architecture  tour on a boat in the Chicago river....tix are around $40 for 75 minutes tour. 

People watching on Michigan Ave and State St.  A lot of tourists check out the area around Chicago Stock Exchange...Jackson and LaSalle St where some of the famous movie shoots taken place, Batman, Goodfellas....Duncan's toychest from HomeAlone 2 (Rookery) building....the Monadnock building around Federal Plaza was one of the first "high rise" buildings (13 stories tall) after the 1871 Chicago fire.  It's made of bricks, not steel frame and the base of that building has walls 6 feet thick.  Garrett Popcorn in the same area as well. 

Hipster areas in Wicker Park and Lakeview. Grant Park along lake Michigan is nice walk too during summer evenings.

Aw yeah, come visit! Navy Pier is always nice and touristy, it makes for good people watching if nothing else! Also the museums are amazing, and normally there are decent deals to be had on admissions via sites like Groupon. If your friend likes coffee and/or reading there are tons and tons of shops in Logan Square / Wicker Park where you can read for too long and sip coffee/tea and watch all the hipsters. I've killed a few days in the city doing that.

I really like Moody Tongue Brewing and they have a brewery near by although I have not been to it myself yet.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017