• filter:

flying through chicago...

  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
everywhere you go, TVs are tuned to CNN. it's just...silly

i have long had issues with CNN. but it's not really about that. it's like a force-feeding of information from one particular source that you can't escape. even if i liked CNN, i would tire of it because sometimes i just don't want to see "the news." sometimes i like to laugh, see some action, keanu reeves being silly, or whatever. mix it up a little bit. have a TV on CNN, then have another on cartoons, and another on "the young and the restless" or something.

seriously, this is like big brother or something. i couldn't even shop for snacks at the local hudson without hearing the latest "outrage" by the talking heads. "omg, we are so shocked at the latest news that we hand-selected to be outraged about." thanks. i just wanted some chips, but i guess i should be angry instead

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
Cnn pays the airport for that.

rated:
wow. and my ears and sanity pay the balance

rated:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNN_Airport

For hotels, it's seems to 50/50 Fox/CNN, never seem MSNBC in hotel lobby/breakfast area.

rated:
You haven't been to Pilot truck stops -- all Fox News.

rated:
larrymoencurly said:   You haven't been to Pilot truck stops -- all Fox News.
  What, no RT?

rated:
larrymoencurly said:   You haven't been to Pilot truck stops -- all Fox News.
  
I can't imagine that men cooped up alone in a truck cab, peeing into bottles and thinking about their next $10 truckstop granny BJ, while literally being measured and tracked by the mile, are angry enough to watch Fox News 

rated:
I'm having trouble finding the article where they list how much airports were paid to host CNN. I remember Orlando getting $90k a year.

rated:
larrymoencurly said:   You haven't been to Pilot truck stops -- all Fox News.
i can see the concern here. however, everywhere i turned at the airport, CNN was on. if i left a pilot truck stop, once again, i would be free to listen to what i want. at least it's just 1 place, and not piped all over

if i flew through dallas and had fox on all over, i would complain just the same. hell, if i flew though redmond and they had the bill gates channel on every TV, i would also feel chagrined  

rated:
I agree. I don't care which flavor of propaganda it is, I dislike it.

Airports are worse than a truck stop. One is a government building force feeding "the news", the other is a private business

rated:
scrouds said:   I agree. I don't care which flavor of propaganda it is, I dislike it.

Airports are worse than a truck stop. One is a government building force feeding "the news", the other is a private business
I'm sure the airports would be more than happy getting more money from Fox News for an airport-catered news channel from Fox.

Airports want money and people glued to TV's while on a layover or waiting for boarding. CNN-Airport provides both. Fox doesn't. Simple as that.

While I do agree that one type of propaganda is wrong, they are paying the airports for it.. which makes the airports better for our use.. so I don't mind it that much.

I would mind it if an airport was showing CNN or FOX or RT or whatever because that's the channel they associate with the most. (Think CNN in ATL, ABC/NBC in NYC, FOX at DFW)

rated:
KayK said:   scrouds said:   I agree. I don't care which flavor of propaganda it is, I dislike it.

Airports are worse than a truck stop. One is a government building force feeding "the news", the other is a private business
I'm sure the airports would be more than happy getting more money from Fox News for an airport-catered news channel from Fox.

Airports want money and people glued to TV's while on a layover or waiting for boarding. CNN-Airport provides both. Fox doesn't. Simple as that.

While I do agree that one type of propaganda is wrong, they are paying the airports for it.. which makes the airports better for our use.. so I don't mind it that much.

I would mind it if an airport was showing CNN or FOX or RT or whatever because that's the channel they associate with the most. (Think CNN in ATL, ABC/NBC in NYC, FOX at DFW)


So you agree that propaganda is wrong.

But you're okay with it because the government gets money to display the propaganda.

Because propaganda makes the airport better.

Are you drunk?

rated:
scrouds said:   KayK said:   scrouds said:   I agree. I don't care which flavor of propaganda it is, I dislike it.

Airports are worse than a truck stop. One is a government building force feeding "the news", the other is a private business
I'm sure the airports would be more than happy getting more money from Fox News for an airport-catered news channel from Fox.

Airports want money and people glued to TV's while on a layover or waiting for boarding. CNN-Airport provides both. Fox doesn't. Simple as that.

While I do agree that one type of propaganda is wrong, they are paying the airports for it.. which makes the airports better for our use.. so I don't mind it that much.

I would mind it if an airport was showing CNN or FOX or RT or whatever because that's the channel they associate with the most. (Think CNN in ATL, ABC/NBC in NYC, FOX at DFW)


So you agree that propaganda is wrong.

But you're okay with it because the government gets money to display the propaganda.

Because propaganda makes the airport better.

Are you drunk?
Drunk? slightly.
Propaganda doesn't make airports better. Money does.
Fox has the option to give money and show their news at airports. They choose not to.
It's not the airport's fault Fox doesn't want to do that.
Maybe Fox is doing that because they already are the #1 most watched cable news network.
It's a business decision. On Fox's part.. on airport's part.
I don't see anything wrong here.

rated:
i also find it funny that everyone is familiar with the orwell "1984" stereotype of the same image on all TVs, conveying the same message. but then CNN pays to actually have this happen 

rated:
morecowbell said:   i also find it funny that everyone is familiar with the orwell "1984" stereotype of the same image on all TVs, conveying the same message. but then CNN pays to actually have this happen 
Rest assured they make their money back and more in advertisements targeted to the traveling public.

rated:
My condolences for having to be in Chicago. I'm glad you didn't have to leave the airport.

rated:
overclock said:   My condolences for having to be in Chicago. I'm glad you didn't have to leave the airport.

My hometown for the past 31 years, just stay away from the certain parts of the city and you're fine.

rated:
fwiw, i didn't notice this in san diego or DC

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017