• filter:

Reliability of tracking information

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
How valid is tracking information?  I understand scans being missed along the way, items being misrouted, etc.  But a couple things happened recently that made me wonder.

I sent an item via UPS.  I received the delivery notification email and checked the tracking info, and it said the item was delivered at 11PM on Wednesday.  However, I was looking at this at 1:30PM Wednesday, 9.5 hours before it had supposedly been delivered.

Tracking for a USPS package says the item left the distribution center at 2:58AM.  But I received the email notifying me of this update at 1:15AM.

WTF?

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
rated:
UPS's techies are a bunch of poop flinging baboons who spend most of their "work" time trolling internet forums. They couldn't program a VCR.

rated:
ganda said:   UPS's techies are a bunch of poop flinging baboons who spend most of their "work" time trolling internet forums. They couldn't program a VCR.
I see what you did there.

rated:
Hey, man, those poop flinging baboons are flinging it for a reason! They're looking for marbles, dammit!
ETA: Drat, Kayk beat me. We need a second ticker to get it precise.
ETA II: dammit, it wasn't kayk, it was kamal! Dratted Ks!

rated:
I've seen Fedex and USPS drivers scan the items and mark them as delivered hours before they were delivered probably trying to make them look like they were working when they were out screwing around not doing their job.
I did call Fedex one day about a package that was posted as delivered but had not yet been delivered because it was an important package.
When I mentioned it to the driver hours later when he finally delivered the package he turned very pale and left.
I mentioned it to the new Fedex guy and he confirmed my suspicions.

rated:
chester215 said:   I've seen Fedex and USPS drivers scan the items and mark them as delivered hours before they were delivered probably trying to make them look like they were working when they were out screwing around not doing their job.

I've seen that too, although not necessarily due to screwing around.  When receiving regular shipments via next day air (guaranteed delivered by 10:30), I've told my UPS guy to mark it delivered if he's running late so that he wont get in trouble, and I'd give it an hour before calling about anything "missing".   A little goodwill can go a long way.

What was strange in my recent case wasnt that the package was marked delivered before it was actually delivered, but that the time stamp of the supposed delivery was still 9 hours in the future.

rated:
4 words:

Hot Tub Time Machine

rated:
ganda said:   UPS's techies are a bunch of poop flinging baboons who spend most of their "work" time trolling internet forums. They couldn't program a VCR.What's a VCR?

rated:
KayK said:   
ganda said:   UPS's techies are a bunch of poop flinging baboons who spend most of their "work" time trolling internet forums. They couldn't program a VCR.
What's a VCR?

A punk band. Everybody knows that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VCR_(band)

rated:

rated:
Glitch99 said:   
I sent an item via UPS.  
Tracking for a USPS package says the item left the distribution center at 2:58AM.  

WTF?

There's your problem. If you sent it UPS, why the hell are your tracking it at USPS?

rated:
atikovi said:   
Glitch99 said:   
I sent an item via UPS.  
Tracking for a USPS package says the item left the distribution center at 2:58AM.  

WTF?

There's your problem. If you sent it UPS, why the hell are your tracking it at USPS?

Um, clearly 2 different packages?

rated:
Glitch99 said:   atikovi said:   
Glitch99 said:   
I sent an item via UPS.  

WTF?

Um, clearly 2 different packages?

Hello and welcome to the off-topic forums.

rated:
The time zone difference can explain the difference in time stamps. I run into that all the time.

rated:
Your package was caught in the twilight zone.

rated:
JW10 said:   The time zone difference can explain the difference in time stamps. I run into that all the time.
  Good thought.  But to what time zone would my package have to be delivered at 11PM, for it to only be 1:30PM on the east coast?  It was supposedly delivered to Kentucky.

rated:
Glitch99 said:   
JW10 said:   The time zone difference can explain the difference in time stamps. I run into that all the time.
  Good thought.  But to what time zone would my package have to be delivered at 11PM, for it to only be 1:30PM on the east coast?  It was supposedly delivered to Kentucky.

If it was delivered in Kentucky the timestamp would be from the 1870's.

rated:
Glitch99 said:   JW10 said:   The time zone difference can explain the difference in time stamps. I run into that all the time.
Post or PM the 1Z number. I can take a look at it for you.

rated:
Fedhex and the brown streak aren't too awful bad.

Usps is pretty unreliable.

rated:
USPS is awesome. They managed to put a parcel I sent to France onto a plane going to Turkey instead:

October 5, 2016, 6:17 am Arrival at Post Office FRANCE
October 5, 2016, 12:27 am Arrival at Post Office FRANCE
October 4, 2016, 3:21 pm Customs clearance processing complete FRANCE
October 4, 2016, 9:44 am Processed Through Facility FRANCE
October 4, 2016, 9:44 am Customs Clearance FRANCE
October 2, 2016, 9:30 am Departed PARIS, FRANCE
October 2, 2016, 6:58 am Departed ISTANBUL, TURKEY
October 1, 2016, 6:57 am Departed ISTANBUL, TURKEY
September 30, 2016, 11:43 am Arrived ISTANBUL, TURKEY
September 30, 2016, 11:02 am Arrived ISTANBUL, TURKEY
September 28, 2016, 11:50 pm Departed NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
September 28, 2016, 10:08 pm Arrived NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
September 28, 2016, 3:45 pm Processed Through Facility ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)
September 28, 2016, 3:45 pm Arrived at Facility ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)

and that's not the first time they've done similar.

rated:
ganda said:   USPS is awesome. They managed to put a parcel I sent to France onto a plane going to Turkey instead:

September 30, 2016, 11:02 am Arrived ISTANBUL, TURKEY
September 28, 2016, 11:50 pm Departed NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
September 28, 2016, 10:08 pm Arrived NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
September 28, 2016, 3:45 pm Processed Through Facility ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)
September 28, 2016, 3:45 pm Arrived at Facility ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)

and that's not the first time they've done similar.

Turkey is probably a big hub for them internationally.. like how Memphis is domestically.
Similar to UPS and France internationally and Louisville domestically.

rated:
ganda said:   USPS is awesome. They managed to put a parcel I sent to France onto a plane going to Turkey instead:

September 30, 2016, 11:02 am Arrived ISTANBUL, TURKEY.

Not Constaninople?

rated:
if it was stamped as being delivered on the east coast, how could they possibly know it will be delivered to me in 3 hours on the west coast?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017