Orlando vaca plan - to go with the package or not?

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
We're planning a family vaca to Orlando in July/Aug with kids aged between 10 and 15.  Do packages from airlines offer best deals or just get everything separately i.e. airfare, hotel, local transport and park tix?  I looked at some packages offered by American A!rlines and they're about $350 per person for 4 nights including air, hotels hear Disney and transport to/from airport.  Any suggestions?

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Figure out what you want out of it and price it out yourself. Look for packages that meet all or most of what you want to do and compare. Then you can see if it's a good deal.

i take my package everywhere i go. not much choice

what i have found about travel packages is that they will screw you one way or another. in my case, i ended up getting screwt on both my car and hotel. my car rental company, thrifty, was shady as all hell in billing me for bs charges after the fact. and when i contested the issue, they implied i could be lying (when my actual point could be proven)

with the hotel, they gave me what i thought would be "a good hotel." what i got was "a good hotel FOR THE PRICE" (considering the options, maybe?). they gave me a handicapped room, which wasn't terrible, but it was awkward for the shower, etc. since i am traveling now for work, i have found that the chain isn't really good for much if you can afford the few bucks more it takes to go elsewhere

for that particular trip, i wish i had booked individual deals with airline, hotel, etc. i would have saved money (thanks, thrifty) and had more fun overall

YMMV, of course

morecowbell said:   i take my package everywhere i go. not much choice
It's not detachable?

morecowbell said:   i take my package everywhere i go. not much choice
  What did the memo from HR say in response to your remark?

Honestly, I've heard great things about the Disney packages.

But they assume a few things. You get a good add in free, like dining, you wanted to stay on property anyway, you were going to be just doing Disney, and you were going to be in the parks most days you were there.

If you have family of 4 and all that is covered for $1400 for 4 days, I find it a good deal. However, sometimes "4days" means you get there at 11pm, which is considered Day 1 and leave at 7am which they call Day 4 so you only have two days. 
I have never booked an all inclusive package with our 2 kids just because you end up paying a hotel for them, too, unlike when reserving a room directly with hotel with 2 queen beds and not paying any extra for kids. Booking hotel separately you have more say where your hotel is, what it offers etc. and with separate flights you can book any airline, any time of day or even close by airport ( we saved in four tickets over $500 by flying to Sanford FL rather than Orlando a couple of months ago)

What is a "vaca"?
Do you really talk like that?

don't pet the gators

I would price it out separately. I don't know anything about airline packages.. but if you stay on Disney property and book through Disney, they will provide your transport to/from the airport. If you won't be renting a car, I would suggest staying on property - provided you are actually going for Disney. The offsite hotel shuttles are terrible. If you're doing Universal, same deal - stay on property. There is one site that offers a small discount on park tickets, but for the most part you won't find a substantial discount on tickets.
Just don't stay anywhere on I Drive, or 192.

missnic said:    If you're doing Universal, same deal - stay on property. 

I disagree. For a trip to Universal, stay at Drury, way, way cheaper; nice clean large rooms, inclusive meals, drinks, parking...Just over a mile from Universal, easy enough even without car.

woowoo2 said:   What is a "vaca"?

vaca is Spanish for cow, as in Cabeza de Vaca the famous cow-headed explorer which is how we now call travelling to a destination for a holiday vacation

ach1199 said:   We're planning a family vaca to Orlando in July/Aug   Any suggestions?
  Central Florida in July/Aug would be the last place I'd call a vacation that time of year, but that's just me. How far away do you live that driving isn't a possibility? That will save 8 airfares and a car rental, less the cost of gas of course but so much better than going through airport hassles.

atikovi said:   
ach1199 said:   We're planning a family vaca to Orlando in July/Aug   Any suggestions?
  Central Florida in July/Aug would be the last place I'd call a vacation that time of year, but that's just me. How far away do you live that driving isn't a possibility? That will save 8 airfares and a car rental, less the cost of gas of course but so much better than going through airport hassles.

i have a list of worse places. beirut, somalia, the dmv...  

I hear Baghdad is lovely this time of year.

sublimosa said:   
woowoo2 said:   What is a "vaca"?

vaca is Spanish for cow, as in Cabeza de Vaca the famous cow-headed explorer which is how we now call travelling to a destination for a holiday vacation

Closing out the category for $1000, his lieutenants were Juan da Silva Orbitz and Rodriguez de la Expedia 

atikovi said:   I hear Baghdad is lovely this time of year.
I hear the firework shows are great

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017